back to article Apple tips Shiraz down all its techies' throats (that's the rumoured name for OS X 10.10)

Apple is apparently working full pelt on redesigning OS X to match its iOS cousin in time for a big reveal at June's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco. Version 10.10 of the desktop operating system will, it's claimed, switch to flat icons and pastel colours to look remarkably like its pocket-sized relative, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G

MMM!

I remember having an excellent 2005 Sicilian Syrah in a small restaurant in Savona in Tuscany on the way to an exhibition I was working at in 2010, an excellent choice if I may say so.

It complemented a Fiorentino steak with a selection of spring vegetables perfectly.

If the OS is as good as the steak it will be worth buying!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Happy

Re: MMM!

Ooh, that bring back memories. Tuscan food (all I tried last summer) takes a lot of beating. Having said that, I had some really nice Shiraz/Syrah wines last time I was in California. Some excellent food too. Not all food in the US is fast or fattening.

Darn, hungry now!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. ratfox
        WTF?

Hipster? Just because he likes wine?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually a nice weekend I look forward to is coming up so going to withdraw tweaking the fanbois today.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TRT Silver badge

Ugh...

I really dislike the flat iOS 7 look.

1. ThomH

Re: Ugh...

I like it but as a computer scientist might; now that I'm used to it I appreciate that the lack of chrome fits more things onto the screen. Maybe Apple knows something I don't about overall computer literacy but I still don't see how it's smart for newcomers or those slightly confused by technology. "Oh, that word is obviously a button because it has a chicane next to it and is in the top left" is somehow less convincing than "... because it is printed on a box that looks like a button".

Though I guess people have no difficulty finding hyperlinks so I'm probably being an old timer?

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Linux

"...switch to flat icons and pastel colours to look remarkably like its pocket-sized relative, which was remodelled last year."

Isn't this just a theme? Like a collection of icons, some XML files and a few config files? DeviantArt has thousands.

Have I misunderstood? Explanations welcome...

1. Zolko Silver badge

For Linux, that's just a theme. For OSX, it's a revolution. You're new here, aren't you ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As long as they have a 'revert to classic mode' - that colour scheme looks pretty sucky.

1. ThomH

Which classic mode? Transparent title bars and heavy horizontal lines circa 10.0? Lines but no transparencies more like 10.2? 10.3/10.4-ish multi-textured brushed aluminium versus unified versus the rest? 10.5/10.6 uniform grey but back with transparencies and a 3d dock? 10.7+ skeumorphism and death to scroll bars?

OS X changes with every version; Apple has never once allowed you to retain the look of the previous version and there's no single release you can identify as the classic.

4. Fink-Nottle

New grape variety name from Apple; same old sour grapes from the haters.

5. lee harvey osmond

"iOS staff hauled into Mac development, claim sources"

One would hope not just to work on the UI. OSX releases lately have had a whiff of "this was the B-team's best effort" about them.

6. Frankee Llonnygog

Code-named ...

I vote for three of San Fran's historic best features: (1) Tenderloin; (2) & (3) Carol Doda

7. Simon Harris

Shiraz?

Will the user interface now be written in Farsi?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Shiraz?

So it's Rumi'ed...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given the response to IOS7 look by handset owners, is this OSX' equivalent Metro moment?

1. Steve Todd

What, you mean either buying the new phone or upgrading in record numbers?

There might have been lots of moaning by reviewers or commentards, but it hasn't stopped people buying them. Metro on the other hand ...

1. TheOtherHobbes

It's kind of okay on a phone. Small screen. White space. Not so bad.

White space on a big screen - not so good. Need shades, ibuprofen, and regular days off.

1. Observer1959

Lower the brightness, works wonders and increases battery life!

1. Adrian Harvey

Better yet , on a mac install f.lux and get whites that match your lighting. On a iPad/pod/phone , jailbreak and install f.lux or on iOS 7.1 turn on settings>General>Accessibility>Increase Contrast>Reduce White Point>On. (Not as good as f.lux, but avoids the need for Ray-Bans...)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IOS7 was a mandatory upgrade, you don't really get the option to avoid it. You also don't get an option on new phones. Whilst it hasn't directly caused drop in mobile device sales for Apple, as people here keep saying....the Desktop is a different kettle of fish entirely.

1. Seanie Ryan

"IOS7 was a mandatory upgrade"

i don't remember the iOS Police calling around and putting a gun to my head !!??

I know plenty of people who haven't upgraded from iOS 6.

Have to say though, i didn't like iOS 7 at the start, but used an iOS 6 device recently and it just felt , dated. maybe i am just used to it now, but have to say i like & prefer it overall, although there are a few inconsistencies and bad elements ( i'm looking at you, date and time rolodex

2. Dieter Haussmann

My wife has managed to and goes berserk if I try to "make mine like that".

I've given up.

2. Observer1959

The ones who hate it the most are those who don't own an Apple device. I know dozens of iOS users and haven't heard these so called complaints. Those who wanted bolder text or less "movement" changed them in the Settings, problem solved.

9. Hud Dunlap
    Facepalm

Translation Make it look like windows

One thing I like about the Mac OS is it's non industrial look. Now Cook is going to make it look like windows.

Yeah I know he is not the one actually doing it but he is the man in charge.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Translation Make it look like windows

It's going to be a tough job for the iFanatics to rewrite history to show that MS copied Apple on this one too.

1. rvt
        Joke

Re: Translation Make it look like windows

Apple came first with this design period. History has been re-written as of now.

10. Erik4872

Worked great for Windows 8, right?

I figured that an iOS-ification of OSX was coming, but I didn't know it would be done in one shot like this.

We'll see what happens - one of the strengths of the Mac, even with recent drastic OS changes, is that the basic user interface elements work the same way. The keyboard shortcuts, etc. haven't changed since 1984. Apple had always been willing to break backward-compatibility but never backward-familarity.

Maybe they haven't been listening to the vocal complaints about Windows 8's redesign. Even among those of us who don't mind the Start screen and all the Metro junk, some of us miss the Windows 7 user interface chrome. I want Aero Glass to make a return in Windows 9, but I doubt that's happening.

1. h3

Re: Worked great for Windows 8, right?

The Windows shortcut keys have never changed either.

2. Observer1959

They've been moving to unify the look and feel of the two OS since Mac OS X 10.7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#Version_10.7:_.22Lion.22

3. El Andy

Apple took out the Apple Menu (which the Windows 95 Start Menu was pretty much based on) in 10.0, the same time they added the dock (a weird Windows taskbar hybrid that didn't settle down to even vaguely consistent for at least three releases) and they seem to change the way Finder works in every version. Not to mention completely reversing mouse scroll direction for no apparent reason.

They're hardly the proponents for keeping things the same you seem to suggest.

11. Drew 11

There's a reason I'm still on 10.6.8 and it's a lot to do with not wanting my 27" monitor, full sized keyboard and mouse to make me mimic an iPhone user.

1. Jason Hindle

You've nothing to fear from Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks. They've merely made the OS make sense with a trackpad, and added some features that make performing complex tasks (many apps/windows) easier to make sense of. They can still be configured to work well with a mouse. That said, unless you:

- Rely on Apple apps that need a newer version of the OS

- Or have a camera not supported by the current version (moot, if you use Adobe's tools).

Then Snow Leopard remains one of the finest desktop operating systems ever made. I certainly wish I'd left the older of my Macs (2008 White MacBook) on Snow Leopard; Lion proved an upgrade too far.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not the rumoured name at all Jasper. Employ diligence before publishing your nonsense...

http://www.imore.com/os-x-version-code-names

13. Bucky 2

I miss the days when each OSX was named after a kitty.

14. cd

Finally catching up to BeOS. Except in functionality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What rot. NeXTStep was years ahead of anything that was contemporary to it, including BeOS.

15. Observer1959

The Shiraz / Syrah grape is called Syrah in the US, France and many countries. In Australia it is called Shiraz, where it is considered the finest red wine grown there. Shiraz is certainly the most widely planted red grape in Australia. Now that Shiraz has become well known and popular, some wineries in the US who are making an "Austrlian style wine" with this grape are calling their wines Shiraz as well.

16. DJO Silver badge
    Joke

Regional releases

Shiraz is not to all tastes, for Essex "Chardonnay" might be better, The City would flock to "Krug" while the US equivalent would be "Krystal", the Home Counties would relish a version called "Burgundy", the possibilities are endless!

17. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Rotten fruit

I'd rather have a Petite Sirah: A darker, smaller MacOS free of iBloat, with strong overtones of open standards and a hint of Linux.

18. Jason Hindle

I actually like the iOS 7 aesthetic

But then again, I like the OSX aesthetic too.... So what will it be? iOS or OSX? OSX or iOS? Well there's only on way to fine out.....

19. Preston Munchensonton
    Joke

Why would they name it Shiraz?

More likely that OS X 10.10 should be renamed OS XXX...

1. Scroticus Canis
      Gimp

Re: Why would they name it Shiraz? - Maybe...

.... OShiteX was already patented? Who knows?

One thing is for sure I am going to take a full restore backup before I try it, if at all.

20. Jay 2
    Meh

Hmm, I wonder if my 2008 MacPro will make the cut for supported hardware? Time to cross my fingers...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like