back to article Creating your golden statue of Nicolas Cage finally possible

Lack the physical dexterity, design skills, workshop and talent necessary to make your own golden jewelry? None of that will stop you now! It's all thanks to a company which offers 3D-printing-as-a-service, Shapeways. The trinkets you design are not printed directly in gold, the process uses the traditional lost-wax casting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Smooth.

Since the printed shape is made of wax, it can be licked with a flame to smooth the layering artefacts of the printing process. Cute.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Cell

It would be awesome to have a giant 3D Nicolas Cage cage to hold budgies or koalas.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Cell

Can't we just have the huge statue which we could then use as a urinal, spit bowl, punch bag <insert favorite punishment, torture method here>.

Nicolas Cage is probably a great guy in real life but he is one of the cheesiest, least credible (or is that edible), cheesy actors that Hollywood ( the Copolla familly) has ever spawned...

Unless of course the reference to a budgie cage relates to the fact that he will spend his day being shit upon.

Did I forget to mention just how cheesy this guy is?

1. AbelSoul

Re: cheesiest, least credible (or is that edible), cheesy actors

He wasn't bad in Raising Arizona.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I digress , I liked "Lords of War" but it required a cheesy arms dealer, so Nicolas was perfect for the part.

Agreed - The statue should be made of cheese rather than gold... Seen the price of good cheese lately, it's definately gaining ground towards the ounce of proverbial Gold. ( Cheese is kind of golden in colour , almost.)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

In the brilliant series 'Community', an aspy film student is asked by his lecturer the question: "Nicholas Cage: Bad or Good?"

The student, after days of analysing the question, has something approaching a nervous breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlzObGIMa4

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cell

"Did I forget to mention just how cheesy this guy is?"

I think you may have covered it.

But why print a statue in gold then, when it would be a lot cheaper to have it 3D printed in cheese?

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Cool

But I'd rather have chocolate, particularly this week!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old News

...i.materialise have been offering a gold casting 3D printed lost wax service for well over a year now. I used it to make a custom wedding ring with high resolution internal details that were beyond my budget and most engravers capabilities if made traditionally. A few years back I used Shapeways similar offering in sterling silver for an engagement ring prototype. Considering how low their margins both worked out far cheaper than I could have gotten from any traditional jeweller. If I was a traditional jeweller I'd either start using their services on the side or start planning early retirement.

5. Pookietoo

The molten metal doesn't chase the wax out

The mould is heated in an oven to melt the wax out before casting.

1. Simon Rockman

Re: The molten metal doesn't chase the wax out

Ah, sorry. A sculptor friend once explained lost wax to me and I guess I wasn't listening properly.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: The molten metal doesn't chase the wax out

If you carve a shape from, for example, clay, and then create a mold around it, you are faced with the problem of how to remove the clay from the mold before replacing it with molten metal. This limits the geometry somewhat, since you can't have undercuts, and you'll need a minimum draft angle.

If you use wax you can melt it out of the mold, leaving a complex cavity to be filled with molten aluminium/gold/silver/titanium etc. The mold is then destroyed to 'liberate' the desired metal shape.

You can also use polystyrene in place of wax.

6. Solly

Whilst he may be cheesy in many of his films, I did think he was excellent in "Adaptation", also in "Leaving Las Vegas" and while we are on the subject of Birds he was also pretty good in "Birdy"... but yes he has been in some right turkeys....

7. NoneSuch Silver badge

Wow. I suspect my long awaited Best Director Oscar will be here in nine days!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Wow. I suspect my long awaited Best Director Oscar will be here in nine days!"

The maximum size of piece that can be produced by this service is 89 x 89 x 100mm...

So, the question is whether you're a 'size doesn't matter' sort of person and getting a reduced scale Oscar... or is size importatnt enough that you're getting a full-sized one made up in several parts?

This topic is closed for new posts.