back to article Hey cloud providers, HP wants your server biz back: Here's one we made earlier in Far East

HP is fighting back against the Far East ODMs that are eating into server shipments by inking a deal with Foxconn to build a price conscious box in high volumes for the largest cloudy firms. Such is the growth of the white box server market - including offerings from Quanta Computer, Wistron, Inventec and Compal Electronics - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge

Wang

I think Wang lasted less than 3 years after they outsourced to China.

Maybe HP wants to be a Services company?

2. Rol

Too risky by half

Understandable that American companies have little issue with using American hardware, as the data they look after, cannot be withheld from the state. The rest of the world however is trying to distance itself from American snooping and should consider American hardware to be an unnecessary security risk.

3. Erik4872

Bye bye x86 server innovation...

So basically, they're taking a white box server chassis, slapping "ProLiant" on the side and selling it for 10% of the price of a real ProLiant? Interesting strategy.

I hope HP continues to build good kit for those of us who have distributed deployments and can't throw everything into the cloud. Boxes that come with a warranty come in really handy when you're a few thousand miles away or don't have an army of little yellow minions swapping out parts in your 1000 acre data center. It seems like they'll continue making high end boxes, but I wonder how low they're going to go for customers who really don't care about reliability.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Bye bye x86 server innovation...

if anything it may augment the SL series but I would be surprised if HP even made these products visible on their web site. Any customers who would buy them would just go to HP direct in large volume. Similar to Dell and their DCS(?) unit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like