back to article Speaking in Tech: What do you MEAN, US court can demand OFFSHORE public cloud data?

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise If you haven't downloaded it before, now's the time to download El Reg's tech news podcast. Your hosts enterprise tech wise guy Greg Knieriemen and web2.0 playa Sarah Vela keep calm on the podcast with special guest, Caroline McCrory, senior director of product development …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. alain williams Silver badge

Skip to interesting bits ...

Thanks for giving the times of the various parts of the discussion. Unfortunately the El-Reg player does not show you the time-since-start when you move the slider around.

Please add this and I might listen to (what I think are) the interesting bits next time.

2. adam.c

Not sure if anyone else has ever asked this...

.. but could we not also have a text transcript?

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: Not sure if anyone else has ever asked this...

Agreed .. I have never been bothered to listen to these podcasts .. ever.

2. Knieriemen

Re: Not sure if anyone else has ever asked this...

I'd love to provide a transcript but it is VERY expensive for the transcription services I've seen. We don't make any revenue from the podcasts so... for now... it's not possible.

1. Irony Deficient

Re: Not sure if anyone else has ever asked this …

Knieriemen, it might not be affordable to provide a transcript through a transcription service, but it most certainly would be possible.

1. Knieriemen

True, possible, but not feasible based on costs... thanks ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm not very good with dictionaries unless they have pictures, but to my simple mind, although it is possible for, say, NASA to launch a vehicle into orbit, if I tried I would run out of money very quickly, and there is no way I could raise sufficient money or other support to do it. So for me it would not be possible.

Knieriemen is using the word in the sense in which I am, that is to say, possibility in a given set of circumstances. Irony deficient is using the word in the sense of possibility in a different set of circumstances which happen not to coincide with reality.

[edit - I note that at least one dictionary gives feasible and possible as synonyms. As T S Eliot notes, "Words strain, Crack and sometimes break, under the burden, Under the tension, slip, slide, perish, Decay with imprecision"]

So I am with Knieriemen on this. I have a bad cold and I am sense of humour deficient.

1. Irony Deficient

Arnaut the less, unlike the resources and skills needed to launch vehicles into orbit, it is not beyond the ability of most native speakers of English to transcribe spoken English into written English. Nothing stops such people who have requested such a transcription from making one on their own but the will to do so, unless they are deaf or illiterate (or possibly not a native speaker of English). As Knieriemen subsequently noted, it is not the ability that is lacking, but the feasibility of hiring a transcription service to do so. Were the will present, El Reg could also make a transcription without hiring a transcription service to do so — thus within the bounds of the possible, if an amateur’s transcription would be acceptable to those who have asked for one.

No sense of humour was used in the creation or content of this reply. I hope that you will recover from your cold quickly.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Irony Deficient...

Wait wait wait wait...

Possibilities do not stack like that do they? I don't know the theory, practice or notation, but I'm sure someone can come along and help with it. We need something like...

The probability of Reg getting a transcription service while ignoring economic obstacles. Then the probability of Reg getting a transcript while including economic obstacles. Then finally compose some sort of possibility of them getting a transcript.

Because without the cash, it is for all intents and purposes "impossible" to purchase a cash service.

PS, beaten to it. ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like