back to article AT&T plans in-flight internet move using its US 4G network

AT&T has one of the largest LTE networks in the US, and it has now signed an agreement with Honeywell to use the cellular grid to bring faster in-flight internet to air passengers. "Everyone wants access to high-speed, reliable mobile Internet wherever they are, including at 35,000 feet," said John Stankey, chief strategy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction

"...we are truly _monetizing_ the sky."

I was reading in another Reg article which mentioned a mobile data plan that cost all of £12.50 a month. No doubt AT&T will do what it does so well, charge you $60 (£45) a month for next to no data. £12.50, just pie in the sky isn't it?

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

AT&T should check inside that Honeywell box to see if there's anything there. Their "Enviracaire IFD" filters are placebo appliances. They use some power, they hum a little, they have fake maintenance steps, and they get some good reviews, but there's nothing in them to do anything. People's cellphones will connect to towers by themselves and Honeywell will claim that their box works.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about getting their phones to work on the ground?

Maybe actually provide the coverage that we pay handsomely for in such out of the way places as New York City, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Los Angeles?

ATT have massively oversold their infrastructure to the point that I cannot reliably make calls in lower Manhattan and had to set up a land line to get work done. Fix that issue before dicking around with new offerings

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

Cell phone signals being emitted by something on the airplane? Nooooooo...... The wings will fall off, exactly as we're been told for so many years.

Anyway...

Once upon a time, I read up on now old-tech HSPA(+) and found that it was specified to work up to only 100mph (160kmh). Any ground speed above 160 kph wasn't guaranteed to maintain connection.

So, I wonder what magic they've done to make 4G work at 1000+ kmh?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

I've used my phone on a train at 300 km/h without any problems other than the usual variable signal strength you get at any speed.

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Man-oh-man... The Ad Networks are bogging down El Reg today

I'm sitting here looking at all the slow ad network connections that are bogging down El Reg. Zedo, Ad-this and Ad-that, ever so slowly loading. Ed might think about dialing it back a bit.

1. phil dude

Re: Man-oh-man... The Ad Networks are bogging down El Reg today

i commented on that yesterday under "browser could ignore slow sites"...

I think I got thumbs down!!

P.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like