back to article Nokia, new CEO Rajeev Suri, and BEELLIONS of euros burning a hole in the bank

Nokia Oyj begins a new chapter in its 149-year history today with new CEO Rajeev Suri – and a massive pile of cash in the bank. Last week the venerable Finnish industrial combine finally cast off the mobile phones division that made Nokia a household name across the world. What's left at Nokia today is an oddball combination …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jolla

Perhaps they should buy Jolla.

1. Eguro
      Thumb Up

Re: Jolla

Yeah... During whole Nokia sale thing, I was really hoping they'd use the money they made to turn around and start making new phones.

Jolla seems like a fit - provided they'd be interested in working (again for most of them, no?) for and selling to Nokia :)

1. monkeyfish

They'd be better off investing in trying to figure out what the "next big thing" is going to be. Rather than waste money on an almost entirely saturated market that has only 3 (count them) profitable handset makers. Maybe there is room for an Android style affair where they sell their software* to samsung et al, but for goodness sake don't get back into the handset business.

* Nokia maps for android/ios would be a good start.

1. Teiwaz

That would be a waste, as the Nokia name still has strong brand image in places like India, where I hear, all mobes are referred to as 'Nokias', and people say things like 'I'll call you on my Nokia.'.

How confusing would it be there then, if the company suddenly decided to move into say, womens toileteries... 'You'll call me on you What???"

2. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

What next? How about fixing IE?

Because its now officially shit.

1. Vociferous
      FAIL

Re: What next? How about fixing IE?

What's Nokia have to do with IE?

2. MacroRodent
      Happy

Re: What next? How about fixing IE?

That fortunately is not Nokia's problem.

3. Vociferous

Robotics?

That's what I'd do if I was Nokia.

4. Hans 1
    Coat

[fF]in+ished

5. MacroRodent

Dividents

"It's using this cash pile – which is bolstered by the €5.4bn it finally received from Redmond – to hand out €3bn in dividends to shareholders,"

The plans are to pay the divident at the beginning of July. This coincidentally is the month most Finns take their summer vacation, so the Finnish shareholders (like me) get a nice boost to the holiday budget.

1. Magnus_Pym

Re: Dividents

"It's using this cash pile – which is bolstered by the €5.4bn it finally received from Redmond – to hand out €3bn in dividends to shareholders,"

Turns out the board are all major shareholders. There's a happy coincidently for them then.

1. Morten Bjoernsvik

Re: Dividends

They should rather invest in new businesses than sharing out dividends. When your turnover sinks like Itanic and your balance gets deeper in the red for every quarter it doesnt look good giving out dividends. Why not use it to subsidies a really dead cheap Iphone/Galaxy killer. A S5 specalike with a 42MPixel camera for $100. I believe you would really get quite a markedshare then.

1. foo_bar_baz

@Morten Bjoernsvik

"Why not use it to subsidies a really dead cheap Iphone/Galaxy killer"

Because Nokia is no longer in the phone business. If you now see a "Nokia" phone it's really Microsoft.

6. Andy Davies

"Nokia...is still viewed as a safe bet by a lot of European pension funds."

Which may go some way to explain why pension funds are no longer viewed as a safe bet by a lot of Europeans!

7. monkeyfish

Nokia for EU version of Google?

See this: http://m.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/30/mikko_hypponen_infosec_keynote_speech/

Maybe Nokia could become a decent European alternative for Google, MS, and Facebook by providing email, cloud storage, and social networking?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like