back to article Great-firewall-busting microblog app puts AWS in China's firing line

The team behind anti-censorship body Greatfire.org has launched an Android app promising unfettered access to all Weibo content, in what it claims is a major step towards circumventing the Great Firewall for Chinese users. Launched back in 2012, FreeWeibo is effectively an uncensored version of the country’s most popular …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple sux

Why don't they make rifles and give them to the PLA ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple sux

They already have plenty of rifles. The PLA could certainly do with more efffective weapons with which to defend themselves against Israel though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

as long as Amazon doesn’t bend to government pressure

on the count of three....

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: as long as Amazon doesn’t bend to government pressure

I don't think that the Chinese will give a second thought about blocking AWS if the blogs become annoying. I expect that the AWS terms of use will have some small boilerplate that would allow AWS to boot this app the minute there are any problems.

1. Sirius Lee

Re: as long as Amazon doesn’t bend to government pressure

"I expect that the AWS terms of use will have some small boilerplate that would allow AWS to boot this app the minute there are any problems"

I'm sure that's true. But AWS is not free so somebody, somewhere is funding this. Since they have enough cash to have one account, they probably have the cash to have a second and third all with copies of the content so the site can be switched from account to account as the need arises.

If I were them and this was my game, I'd have a copy on the Azure platform as well. Rackspace too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

will we soon need a UK 'firewall' busting AWS/S3 tool?

here we get a zdnet report that Russia is clamping down on Facebook & GMail. Which might not come as a shock...

but balance that from some insider information(?) from deepest Gloucestershire that UK needs to start clamping down on Facebook etc

so does this app work in the (previously) freedom-loving Европистан?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like