back to article Quid-a-day Reg nosh posse chap fears for his waistline

El Reg Quid-a-Day Nosh Posse member Toby Sibley has been in touch to say he only got to spend his £5 food allowance for the Live Below the Line challenge last night, and is beginning to worry about his waistline. Here's his last-minute stash... Toby's food stash for the week Lentils in brine? Lovely ...comprising: 25g …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

worried about his waistline?

Is he a fatty?

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Go

I think...

You will live, don't worry about it. I think the slight fasting will encourage some of the fat on the inside to go away, unless you have like 3% body fat or something silly like that.

Remember to drink plenty of water, food we can manage without for quite a while, water we cannot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think...

" I think...You will live, don't worry about it. "

It's his bank balance he needs to worry about. By buying apples, tinned pulses and lentils in brine, most of what our man has paid for (by weight) is water. He'd have got twice the calories and nutrients by buying dried pulses. On the apples I'm less clear what makes sense, but dried prunes are probably a better bet, or bananas if you want fresh.

3. Chris 244
    Facepalm

Calories

Pure carbs 775 g at 4 Cal/g

Apples, carrots roughly 100 Cal each

Eggs 70 each

Onions 40 each

Tins of beans/lentils 225 Cal/cup, maybe 6 cups there

Oh dear, I count maybe 6000 Cal in total.

1. Simon Harris
      Pint

Re: Calories

So, is Toby's stomach going to be half empty or half full?

That's not half empty or half full ------------------------------------------->

1. Eddy Ito

Simon Harris, that ale you have there brings up another question. Is barley very expensive on the UK side of the Atlantic? Here in the US the cost by weight of hulled barley is about the same as rice but it has loads more protein and a similar calorie content. I just thought it odd that none of the posse has this on the menu.

2. Benchops

> So, is Toby's stomach going to be half empty or half full?

It's going to be twice as big as it needs to be

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge

No idea about food energy, but I hope for Toby that indeed you mean kcal.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Convention is that writing Calorie with a capital C is considered to mean kcalorie.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Phil O'Sophical, thanks! Strange convention, but good to know ;)

4. Cubical Drone

Remember that there are two parts to the equation.

Just adjust your caloric burning accordingly. This will give you a great excuse for doing nothing but sitting around all day while the future misses takes care of everything.

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Calories aren't all ...

The Horizon "documentary" back in 2012 with Michael Mosley, about fasting and low-calories diets had a guy who had eaten 25% less than the recommended daily allowance of calories for *years*.

Does good things to the body chemistry, apparently. A doctor who gave him a full physical and blood chemistry workup described him as "a new species"[1].

[1]Now you see why I put "documentary" in quotes

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Calories aren't all ...

"Does good things to the body chemistry, apparently."

It does indeed. Got my blood pressure down from high to high end of normal, and has enabled me to avoid the blood pressure tabs for a few more year yet (unlike all my blood relatives). Lost two stone and one chin, down three and a half inches on the waist size in nine months, had to throw away half my wardrobe. I even look acceptable in a wetsuit now, rather than looking like Mr Incredible's weedy cousin.

Main thing to remember is this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle choice - stop the day or two of fasting and the weight goes back on. Stick with it and you can enjoy five gluttonous days a week without guilt or ill effects.

I know what you mean about the pseudo science in the programme, but the Fast Diet works for me, and I'd recommend it to anybody who is in the slightest worried about their weight, or the risk from conditions that weight complicates.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's very little fat in that lot.

A recipe for hunger pangs I think. Good luck with that.

1. Charles Manning

Thank the sky fairy that pigeons and squirrels are free.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to live with a quid a day

In 1994. As a student in a camp working in the fields or packing food, somewhere near Norwich. I spent 7 pounds per week for groceries for about three months.

I remember buying 7 big bars of Mars for 1 pound, the beans tins were 20 pennies or less, and of course a lot of spaghetti.

Breakfast was cooked in the camp, but 7 pounds was enough for lunch and dinner, while doing heavy manual labour - stacking pallets with 18 kilos frozen strawberry boxes.

During my last month there I went up to 10 pounds per week and was feeling like a king.

Now I definitely won't be able to live on a diet of Mars and spaghetti :) I have been to England a couple of times since, but I don't remember groceries prices. If like here across the pond in the Big North, probably 10 times what were in 1994.

1. Goldmember

Re: I used to live with a quid a day

I wouldn't say food is 10 times the price what it was 20 years ago. It has obviously increased (with inflation etc.), but with things like beans and Mars bars, food companies here employ sneaky tricks. They put smaller amounts of food in bigger (or the same sized) packaging, thus making you think you're getting the same amount you were before, for the same or a slightly increased price.

Now you'll get 5 or 6 Mars in a multipack, and the bars will be smaller than they were a decade ago. And the cheapo tins of beans (around 30p in the larger supermarkets) often have a few grams less than Heinz etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1990. Co-op cornflakes, tin of syrup, milk, and most importantly, co-op fruit shortcake biscuits. Once a week treat myself to sausage and chips from the chippy. Less than £5 a week in those days but inflation may have taken its toll.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I remember buying 7 big bars of Mars for 1 pound"

I remember mars bars costing 25p in the early '90s.

4. ravenviz Silver badge

When really skint in the 90's I had to plan my whole month's meals ahead of time and managed to do the whole lot, breakfasts, lunches and dinners plus a few treats, all for £40. I bought in bulk just after I got paid and went to the right supermarket at the right time when I knew the offers were on. So that was £1.30 per day on normal calories (although £1.68 in today's money).

8. Pypes

Was in tesco the other day (which is by no means cheap) but noticed dried chickpeas were circa £1.50 / kg whereas tinned were along the lines of 60p / tin wet, I'm guessing the dry ones were pushing an order of magnitude cheaper.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

If I'd remembered to weigh mine before I slung them in the pressure cooker (but after soaking) I could have told you... there seem to be plenty of them in the curry, though. Could be lefts for lunch tomorrow!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live Long and Prosper

A restricted calorie diet can make you live longer (if you are a mouse)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3958810

From the abstract

group 1) a nonpurified diet ad libitum (all you can eat when you want it)

group 6) 40 kcal/wk of the diet fed to groups 3 and 4 (approximately 65% restriction)

Mice from group 6 lived longest of all.

The longest lived 10% of mice from group 6 averaged 53.0 mo which, to our knowledge, exceeds reported values for any mice of any strain.

Beneficial influences on tumor patterns and on declines with age in T-lymphocyte proliferation were most striking in group 6.

Significant positive correlations between adult body weight and longevity occurred in groups 3-5 suggesting that increased metabolic efficiency may be related to longevity in restricted mice.

Mice from groups 3-6 ate approximately 30% more calories per gram of mouse over the life span than did mice from group 2.

These findings show the profound anti-aging effects of dietary restriction and provide new information for optimizing restriction regimes.

1. Charles Manning

Prosper?

Yes, the mice lived longer.

The part that was redacted from this report is that they all hated their lives and voluntarily jumped into a spinning blender.

It is much more interesting to life life on the edge. Find your limits. That includes the brinkmanship of eating rich food and only cutting back when you feel your heart beats going out of whack.

10. TheRealRoland

At least...

I hope those numbers are tasty, when you crunch them...

11. 1Rafayal

I remember the days of old when we had Kwik Save in the UK (bought up by somerfields?). As a very young person, 12 or 13 I think, I would work on the tills. I would spend the majority of my time on a Saturday scanning tins of tomatoes and beans that cost about 5 pence each or something close.

It was all the No-Frills, Kwik Save own brand stuff. The owner of a local transport cafe would come in each week and completely buy up all the beans, tomatoes, milk, bread and butter he could find which lead to a a maximum number of purchases per customer.

1. Anonymous IV

I suppose Kwik-Save didn't actually think of stocking more of the items which were bought by the transport café owner, rather than limiting everyone? Duh?

12. Sirius Lee

You can eat surprisingly well on £1 a day. £1.50 and you have a feast. You just can't do it by buying fresh food to cook everyday. My meals (usually a lovely chicken Rogan Josh or Jalfrezi) cost about 60p but only because I cook a huge pot in one go and eat it in portions with a generous helping of rice. Unless you insist on some variety of rice which has been lovely tended by virgins and harvested under a full moon from Waitflower or The Cooperators, is dirt cheap. A substantial helping will cost less than 10p per meal and will easily ward off the hunger pangs. Potatoes are out because their weight means the transport costs make them expensive by comparison.

Not surprisingly, the protein is the single most expensive ingredient of my food. Iceland do a kilo of chicken breasts for about £4 and often do a 2-4-1. For me a kilo of chicken creates about 10 meals so that's 40p/meal. If I catch the 2-4-1 that's just 20p for the protein. A tin of chick peas, a couple of tins of tomatoes (the co-op do 4 tins of Italian chopped tomatoes for 70p) and an onion plus a jar of the curry paste and you can easily create a good, filling and tasty meal for 60p. That leaves 40p for some luxury items. Stay away from milk products because they are, bizarrely given the amount that's wasted, quite expensive.

If you are a labourer and into a brutal exercise regime then give it up if you want to eat for £1 day. If you are not, then there no need to eat three square meals a day and you can't burn the candles at both ends. We're conditioned to eat too much. Doctors blame sugary drinks or fast foods or tv meals for the impending obesity epidemic but I think we've just been told to eat too much of everything (including fruit). I eat one meal a day and have done so for over 10 years. I don't eat fruit except occasionally. I weigh 84kg and have done for 20 years so I'm not even eating into my fat reserves (which are more than adequate). Nor do I have rickets or some other disease from eating too little fruit and not enough vegetables.

Eating frugally while watching a supermarket ad for a lovely roast joint is a challenge so you have to learn to tune it out. I'm not recommending this to anyone (let alone everyone) but eating on a £1 a day is doable. However, it necessary to wean yourself off western eating habits and I suspect this is the hardest part. These habits seem to come less from our needs and more from the needs of Mr Kellogg, his friends Mr Proctor and Mr Gamble, their friends the Lever brothers and likes of their military friend General Mills. Plus a cadre of lazy assed health professionals who spout what we should eat (seven portions of fruit a day?) without any real evidence because the studies required would not be ethical.

This topic is closed for new posts.