back to article Selfies are so 2013. Get ready for DRONIES – the next hipster-cam-gasm

It's the social phenomenon that's taking self-obsession to new heights. We're not talking about selfies, granddad, and we're not even referring to belfies. The latest self-portrait craze to grip the narcissists of the internet are called dronies – and involve using a remote-controlled aircraft to snap images. Anyone who is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

What do I think of it?

Well, it's not illegal and, like a BMW with personalised numberplates, it enables easy identification and avoidance of a tosser with too much money ...

1. Nigel Brown

Re: What do I think of it?

I really wish I could upvote this more than once.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What do I think of it?

A Lamboghini is driven by a tosser with too much money. A BMW with personalised numberplates is a sign that you think driving a mid-range execmobile makes you someone important, i.e. just a wanker.

1. Getriebe

A Lamboghini is driven by a tosser with too much money

Way more subtle than that

A Lambo 400Gt is driven by a man of depth, and subtlety

Any Lambo after that is driven by a tosser with too much money

A BMW CSL of any stripe is driven by a man with a fine sensibility, all else (maybe not a 2002 tii) is in wankerville

2. The Axe

Flash in the pan

Like many fads, many will attempt to follow it, but few will actually be able to do anything with it. Have actually tried flying a drone. Even the smallest indoor only ones take quite a bit of skill and practise to use before they can take stable dronies. Expect to see lots of 2nd hand mashed up drones on ebay next year as people realise that flying a drone is not that easy.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: Flash in the pan

You are looking at the wrong end of the scale. Cheapo toy drones are tricky to fly, but move up to even the relatively cheap (£300) Parrot AR Drone 2, and its more sophisticated avionics make it a doddle to pilot.

Done quite a few "dronies" of friends and family with it. Position it, release controls, and it hovers in place to take your pics. Simples.

1. The Axe

Re: Relatively cheap, was Re: Flash in the pan

£30 for something that can take dronies - maybe, £300 not so maybe, for what is effectively a toy. Loads of people will be spending that amount on something which has questionable enjoyment value. Not.

Those who will be paying that amount (and more) will be those who can make money from it or can afford to splurge nearly £1k (when you factor in the cost of a good camera, good R/C, etc) on a hobby. It won't be the general public in the same way that smartphones are used for selfies.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: Relatively cheap, was Flash in the pan

The Parrot AR drone is certainly a toy, but a very capable one, and very hackable (which is where my interest lies, rather than taking "dronies").

Having said that, there is a market for drone photography / video (looked into it). Inspection of high structures (bridges, buildings, masts) and more domestic stuff ( panning aerial shots of guests at wedding receptions / parties, etc) and people will pay good money for this.

The difficulty comes when you switch from flying a drone as a hobby (where it is classed as an RC aircraft) and using it as a business, where the pilot must be qualified and certified by the CAA (in the UK). To set yourself up in business with a suitable rig + getting the required training and certification , you are looking at £10k+.

3. Florida1920
    Coat

2014 will be "year of the drone"

Appropriate term for a year in which the U.S. holds 'mid-term' elections.

1. ItsNotMe
      Pint

"Appropriate term for a year in which the U.S. holds 'mid-term' elections."

The only problem with that statement is the fact that when one election cycle is over here in The Colonies...these twits IMMEDIATELY start campaigning for the next election. No matter how many months...or years...away it is. It has gotten completely out of hand.

Fortunately...with a remote control for the television...and its mute button...I can shut them up, and switch to something far more interesting, very quickly.

4. Khaptain Silver badge
    FAIL

Optional backpack required

Walking about with a drone and required equipment will likely become as popular as a hairdryer on a fishing boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional backpack required

Other than that boat hairdryers are practically useless because they would flatten the batteries if they actually produced any real heat, I don't quite get the analogy.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Optional backpack required

The analogy is nothing more than the fact that hairdryers are not really "a la rigeur" on fishing boats. ie : they are very scarce and very unlikely to become very popular.

5. Brian Sherwood Jones

Phrone

camera-equipped drone? Surely the other way round - a drone-equipped phone. So, phrone

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Phrone

"camera-equipped drone? Surely the other way round - a drone-equipped phone. So, phrone"

Given the part self-image plays in this tale, I feel it's fair to say that when you play the game of phrones, you win or you diet.

6. jake Silver badge

Boring.

As most people who drone on and on and on are.

Trying to become self-important because of simple, badly framed snapshots/videos, that are posted to the internet in random trash collections, is probably the biggest waste of human hours that this silly-ass TCP/IP protocol has spawned.

Hint: Aerial photography is nothing new.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/559132

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: Boring.

No, aerial photography is nothing new. But aerial photography that can be created by anyone for a modest outlay is new.

Hint: As a silver commentard, you can use the HTML anchor tag in your posts.

1. jake Silver badge

@Eponymous Cowherd (was: Re: Boring.)

No. It is not new. I was doing this for a modest outlay in the mid-late 1980s.

Yes, I can use some HTML bits & pieces here. I choose not to, for the most part. Why should I waste my time, when anyone interested can copy & paste into a new tab?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Joke

Re: @Eponymous Cowherd (was: Boring.)

I'm surprised you didn't say they should Telnet to the site in question on port 80 and issue a GET.

1. jake Silver badge

@Dan 55(was: Re: @Eponymous Cowherd (was: Boring.))

There is a time and place for everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: @Dan 55(was: @Eponymous Cowherd (was: Boring.))

Bit of an aside, but to Whoever It May Concern at The Reg;

Can you please please NOT fix the timestamp issue, whatever that issue is?

Because it clearly gets right on jake's tits, he keeps banging on about it, not that it matters to him, but just to bring it up again ...

Seems only fair, if the rest of us have to endure his relentless lack of interest in every topic (because he did better it in the 70s/80s/earlier, despite the much lesser tech of the time), then it's only right that he gets irritated by some perceived timestamp problem that no'one else cares about.

Cheers.

2. Eponymous Cowherd

Oddly, I can SSH to my AR Drone and command it that way, but I largely use QGroundControl / Mavlink.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I think what he was actually trying to convey was "I'm never wrong even if I appear to be, deal with it, sucker."

I once had to deal with a programmer who thought that if you did an SQL query on a boolean field it was impossible to get a NULL result. Much argument as to why his code didn't work later, it turned out to be all the fault of whoever had designed the database so that it was possible to create a query from which no rows were returned. Because his uncle was a VP at IBM, and so he was never wrong.

2. Eponymous Cowherd

If you read what was posted, jake, you will note that I said "aerial photography that can be created by anyone". In other words, by people who cannot put these things together for themselves. Today you can buy an off-the-shelf kit to do this for well under £1k that can produce quite stunning results.

Impressed that your 1980's kit could do everything that a modern quad can do. (maintain a stable hover and frame a shot by itself), though.

3. Michael Thibault

>copy & paste

We're using drag & drop, this millenium. Try to keep up!

2. Psyx

Re: Boring.

"probably the biggest waste of human hours that this silly-ass TCP/IP protocol has spawned."

Not seen Second Life?

7. Tom 7

vimeo never works for me

not sure which bit I've blocked to stop it but fuckem anyway.

8. Mike Wilson

Belfie?

Never mind dronie, WTF is a belfie? I missed that memo. Words are getting added to the language at such a pace, I predict a time, not too long from now, when everyone will have their own version of English and no one will know what anyone else is on about.

1. Billa Bong

Re: Belfie?

I feel I've missed this boat already. Can't understand a word my daughter says.

Mind you she is only 1. The 9 year old is just as hard to understand.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Belfie?

A bum-selfie. Don't Google it at work unless you have images switched off or work in an open-minded establishment.

9. king of foo

dronies

Sounds a bit much like bronies...

Then again I still think people are talking about masturbation when they say "selfy"...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dronies

But then we're talking about the kind of wankers that give masturbation a bad name, right?

10. Chris G

Drone defence

This is a pursuit for sad people who need to get a life but what happens when these plonkers tire of taking aerial selfies?

They will start flying over the garden fence or hovering outside other people's windows taking pics.

I can see a market for an anti drone device that legally gives the same ability to bring a drone down as a decent 12 bore would.

Though a dose of No 4 buckshot takes some beating, it may not get you the right kind of attention from the fuzz.

King of Foo; you are not too far off the mark!

1. Timmay

Re: Drone defence

Ah yes, similar to the "don't put cameras on phones, the world will be full of people sneaking shots in changing rooms or communal showers" argument, from a whole decade ago.

Really, if I wanted to sneak shots of your oh-so-gorgeous body from outside your bedroom window, there are far better ways to achieve it than have an 85dB screeching whirling drone hovering outside.

Yes, there are nefarious things you can do with a camera equipped drone (as with virtually any technology nowadays), but until they are utterly tiny and completely silent, who would bother.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Drone defence - @Timmay

Like me, you probably live in a "leafy suburb" where you are on friendly terms with the neighbours and their kids. Spare a thought for the people who aren't so fortunate and have roaming teenage gangs around looking to create trouble. For them, a drone is a perfect persecution weapon.

If you doubt this, remember how mobile phone cameras resulted in an epidemic of their photographing themselves running up to random people, punching and kicking them, and then running away.

1. Timmay

Re: Drone defence - @Arnaut the less

You guessed correctly, sir, lovely leafy suburb here, nice swinging neighbourhood.

Anyway, sure, as I said, there are nefarious things you can do with today's drone technology. But, putting myself into the mind of a roaming teenage gang member looking to create trouble, I did consider a camera equipped drone.

However, at a purchase cost of several hundreds of pounds, plus the same again for FPV (first person video) equipment so I can create mayhem beyond line of sight, I decided it wasn't worth the risk of crashing it/losing it/someone downing it, so I picked up a £free brick from the roadside and lobbed it at a window instead.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's possible to fire a small buckshot charge using a catapult, but it might not be sufficiently accurate. Somebody needs to start a Kickstarter project for a small, light, anti-drone SAM. It only really needs to disrupt the blades, so it could probably be reusable. I'm not sure of how much of the airspace above my garden is legally mine to operate in, but I'm allowed to throw balls for my dog to catch, so there must be a grey area.

Thinking about it, a ball on a rope dog toy might be a very effective drone discourager.

1. The First Dave

AS ever, History is your friend - think back to the Second World War, and all those photo's of barrage balloons over London, and remember that it wasn't the balloon that was the obstacle, it was the steel wire rope beneath it - throw some string around (a party-popper may be enough for some of the smaller drones) and it may "accidentally" get tangled round the blades...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Drone defence @Chris G

In the nicest possible sense (or not) Fuck you.

I have a quadcopter with a camera attached and I don't feel any need to "spy" on people.

You know, seeing some things from different angles can be quite interesting. Checking birds nests for eggs, houses for structural defects, there are tons of things you can do.

I'm not a saddo, I have a plethora of things to entertain me, including people. Sounds to me like quadcopter envy spouting from your piehole...

1. king of foo

Re: Drone defence @Chris G

So we're just supposed to

"trust" you to

"do no evil" and yadda yadda

"national security" yadda yadda

"terrorists" yadda yadda

"OOH! BOOBIES! YAY!"

11. stu 4

nowt new apart from the phrase.

Get yerself a Hubsan X4 107D for 150 quid.

I've been using bigger boys for 3 years now, and you get awesome results:

heres one I shot last year flying all via LCD goggles first person.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdzoAyYQok

1. dogged

Re: nowt new apart from the phrase.

That's nice. Really nice. Well flown, sir.

Also, Amazon are flogging these for £39.

1. stu 4

that's the regular one Dogged.The 150 quid gets you the FPV one - built in camera, LCD screen on controller, real time video as you fly.

But yeh, basic X4s are great fun. And you can fly em outside in pretty windy conditions too!

stu

2. The First Dave

Did you shoot it with a shotgun, a rifle, or something more old-school?

And, of course, what was the result?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dronies

all it took was to nudge the idiots and - having previously invested heavily in the "remote flying apparata entertainment industry" - sit and count the cash as it comes flooding in. Nothing new about the suckers born every day.

13. Elmer Phud

The baloon's gone up!

A purchase of some string and a few helium party baloons looks like being fun.

What? my kids' balloon wrecked your flying spy plane?

Shame.

14. Kaltern
    Boffin

Googie

It won't be long before drones can be controlled by Google Glass, and then where will we be. Give it 5 years and we'll all we walking along the street with our trendy RayBan Google glasses and our pet drone following behind, like a technologically nightmarish version of the bluetooth headset...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Naming suggestion

So what would we call this camera wielding minicopter?

A Target Drone?

I know of a good few places where if something like this appeard in the sky, the locals would reach for their 12-Bores in an instant and blast it out of the sky. For them, just about anything that flies is a viable target for their guns (Kites excepted).

1. AndyS

Re: Naming suggestion

Sounds like a lovely bit of the world you live in. Afghanistan? Chad? Somalia? Texas?

I think these things are aimed mostly at the first world though.

1. dogged

Re: Naming suggestion

> Sounds like a lovely bit of the world you live in. Afghanistan? Chad? Somalia? Texas?

Tunbridge Wells?

16. Seanmon

Heard on R4 this weekend....

Otherie: A photograph of someone else.

I could see drone photos being a bit of fun at e.g. a large outdoor wedding or summat.

17. Gavin Jamie

Manual labour

It would surely be simpler, and possibly cheaper, to employ a minion to follow you around and take your picture when requested.

I would suggest calling it a "serfie"

1. Phil.T.Tipp

Re: Manual labour

+1 thx for the lolz sir

18. kmac499

Summers a'coming

So how long before on the 'and finally' news piece, we have a few lads being interviewed by senor knacker for overflying the beach with their drone..

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Autonomous?

Can it take off from someone's hands, and then autonomously identify the grouping of people of interest for the photo, fly itself to the optimum distance for framing the shot, use face recognition to ensure it's roughly square to all members of the shot, then hold position for however long required before returning to the launchers hands and landing again?

If not, I don't see this as anything to be excited about. That'd be about the mimimum set of requirements for an actually useful photodrone.

20. Rob Crawford

Enough idiots with quadcoptors

God it's bad enough without some company hiring the damn things to self-obsessed halfwits.

Yes I do have a couple of quads but unlike some I can actually fly the damn thing (still haven't been arsed to put a camera on any of them though)

21. Jim 59

Top first sentence

"It's the social phenomenon that's taking self-obsession to new heights. "

Lol.

22. Tsung
    Meh

Only thing I noticed about that video was the guy couldn't afford a matching pair of shoes.

1. Psyx

I suspect he was being ironic.

Or a retard.

Or both.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm still waiting for the "trainie"

That is : Taking a picture of oneself on the tracks

right in front of an oncoming train...

(yelling "ooohhh long johnson" is optional...)

24. a well wisher

iDrone Add-on

What with all the recent add on lenses , 360 degree etc etc for iPhones

Waiting to see the launch of the iDrone add-on for your iPhone

25. elRico

"Skelfie"

- you heard it here first

26. Gannettt

When I heard 'dronie', I thought it was going to be a sort of moving seflie, a video of someone droning into the camera about their first-world problems.

27. Michael Thibault

Obvious, really!

SkyGnat.

1. Michael Thibault

Re: Obvious, really!

Babylon! Cacophony! Only three commentards answered the question directly--which is to be expected when you lead off a verbal exchange in a largely-XY setting with reference to any automobile!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, if I read the article correctly, the whole premise is based on the fact that one guy who sells drones used a drone - shock, horror! - and then a Youtube commenter said "dronie". And from this you get "This bizarre pursuit certainly seems hip, judging by the popularity of a Kickstarter project to design a camera-equipped drone...", as if the fact that people think camera-equipped drones are cool means that they're necessarily going to use them to take vacuous pictures of themselves in the bathrooms of dance clubs?

Really?

Suggesting that drones are popular because of the potential to take selfies with them is like saying that the only reason people buy cars is to have sex on the hood.

1. Swarthy

Wait, what? there are other reasons to buy a car?!

This topic is closed for new posts.