back to article Reg hack hacked off by iPhone 5 repair notice

Attention iPhone 5 owners: your Cupertinian earslab may be defective. "Apple has determined that the sleep/wake button mechanism on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models may stop working or work intermittently," a notice posted on Apple's support website informed us iPhone 5 owners on Friday. "iPhone 5 models manufactured …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think this has been known for a while

Last summer I started having problems with my sleep/wake button taking several presses to work sometimes. It would be fine for a while, then take multiple presses for a few days, then go back to working again. I googled and found that others had the issue and Apple replaced their phone, so I figured I should do it before my warranty ran out. Haven't had the problem once with the replacement.

I guess this means they're going to replace even those phones that are out of warranty (one year in the US, I think the EU mandates a longer warranty over there) Sounds like good customer service to me...

1. Annihilator

Re: I think this has been known for a while

Not necessarily a "known for a while" problem, buttons have failed on phones for years through wear and tear (I've had mine fail, waaaay outside warranty though so replaced myself). This one's a bit different in that they know there's a high chance it'll fail through a manufacturing error.

Still, most companies would just leave it and wait for customers to complain.

2. BenDwire Silver badge
    Coat

Eh?

Are you sure you're not just holding it wrong ...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Eh?

You meant pressing it wrong no?

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Eh?

I think he meant buying it wrong.

3. hypernovasoftware

If your iPhone serial number is on the list, Apple will fix it no questions asked. The smart-a**es at the genius bar aren't going to do anything but set up the repair.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Genius Bar

Usually staffed by 19 year old droids.

1. Efros

Re: Genius Bar

Read that as 'roids

2. JDX Gold badge

Teenagers usually know far more about current tech than anyone else.

1. nematoad

"Teenagers usually know far more about current tech than anyone else."

Possibly so, but how about the concept of customer service and people skills? Not so much, I think.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Facepalm

Teenagers usually know far more about current tech than anyone else.

LOLNO.

Kids Can't Use Computers... And This Is Why It Should Worry You

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Oh hell NO.

They just think they do.

4. Annihilator

You've never seen the "tracer-t" guy then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM

1. Fibbles
          Thumb Up

"You've never seen the "tracer-t" guy then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM"

Cheers for the link, best laugh I've had all week.

2. Tim Bates

"You've never seen the "tracer-t" guy then..."

Ow! My brains!!!! Somebody just stabbed them with so much wrong information. It'll take weeks to push that brain damage back out again now!

5. big_D Silver badge

Judging by the new influx of trainee programmers and admins we get, no, they don't know more.

Start talking about processor branching efficiency, cache sizes and optimisation of code for specific platforms and their eyes generally glaze over. They might remeber the spec sheet more easily, but that isn't knowledge about how the tech actually works.

6. Uncle Siggy

It's easy to confuse kids' abilities for testing and destroying with genius. The only rival to this illusion is their ability to complain about what they've destroyed. Clearly these youths belong in the QA department and not a bar!

3. Cliff

If that bunch of numpties are geniuses I am unfuckingbelieveable

1. Fink-Nottle

> If that bunch of numpties are geniuses I am unfuckingbelieveable

No, you're not unfuckingbelieveable. What is unfuckingbelievable is that in this day and age there are idiots not bright enough to differentiate between marketing hyperbole and reality.

5. rapidwiz

Don't get too excited ...

I took my daughters phone into a genius in Vancouver's Apple Store, told him the phone was not powering off, my friendly genius was helpful and smiling and said no problem, he would check it out. I thought great, how helpful and friendly. He came back and said it had water damage and that it would not be covered under warranty and it would cost $279. I said I would think about it ..

All this genius wanted to do was open the phone and check for water damage so he could ding me, I walked away feeling very deceived by this genius, he had no intention of wanting to help me in the first place .. out of principal, I won't give Apple $300 just because of how this genius deceived me with the pretence of wanting to help. He should of been honest upfront with what he was doing in the back room .. it becomes harder and harder to defend Apple and this is another reason why. These genius's are complete morons when they do things like this.

I am going to wait for the iPhone 6 to come and then decide whether to buy another iPhone or maybe I will go with an Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Don't get too excited ...

@rapidwiz - "All this genius wanted to do was open the phone and check for water damage so he could ding me,"

I've heard this repeatedly about genius bar service. I buy all my gear at Best Buy instead, and get their no hassle warranties. Those guys love to help me. Cracked screen, water damage - they don't care. Handed me a brand new Motorola phone that was $100 less than my old, cracked Samsung two weeks ago. For the $100, I got a new two year warranty and found myself an Otterbox Defender series for the phone. And i had a much faster, nicer phone than the Samsung for free, with KitKat as the first update.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I had a problem with the home button on my iPhone4. I walked into the shop and asked "How much would it cost to fix?"

"Oh, we can't tell you that. You have to book an appointment." Not impressed, but I played along with their game. Came back two days later, waited 30 minutes (they were well behind) only to be told: "It's out of warranty, you'll need to buy a new one." What? I waited two days just to be told that? Why couldn't the floor staff have some done simple pre-screening and saved us all some time and hassle?

Totally not impressed...

1. Chris G

The most important thing to remember about ALL phone shops not just Appoo is that they are above all SALES outlets, the (mostly) kids that work in them are at the sharp end of a huge sales operation. Sales people( I have been one though not for Appoo) are not necessarily the most ethical folks out there and even though Appoo's sales staff are not paid on a commission basis they are under high pressure to sell,sell,sell.

They don't know you or care who you are as long as there is a chance of flogging you a replacement in preference to you having it repaired, that is what they will try to do.

From experience in Spain, Vodaphone, Movistar and Jazztel will tell you anything you want to hear whether or not it is true and getting out of one of their contracts is almost as difficult as getting out of one of the old fabled Rank Xerox copier contracts so they don't care as long as they get the sale and their commission.

They know we need our phones and if you are already in the shop expect to be the victim of selling techniques.

1. a53

From experience in Spain, Vodaphone, Movistar and Jazztel will tell you anything you want to hear whether or not it is true === A precursor to becoming a politician ?

2. Frankee Llonnygog

"Appoo"? Really?

And they said satire was dead!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Surely you knew it was out of warranty so would be chargeable? The difference is Apple will sell you a replacement phone (even out of warranty) for a low price - think it was about £120 when I had a 3GS repaired (due to accident damage).

Now if you have Applecare Plus you get 2 incidents of accidental damage covered within the first 2 years with just a small excess - so smash the screen and get an as-new / new phone for about £50.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

"Oh, we can't tell you that. You have to book an appointment."

Phobamacare soon!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe it DID have water damage that caused the fault.......?

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Apple's "water" sensors are nothing more than bits of paper that turn pink when exposed to water, for example condensing humidity after coming in from the cold in cold climates, or going outside from over-air conditioned buildings in hot climates.

False positives - it's not a bug, it's a feature.

1. Tim Bates

"Apple's "water" sensors are nothing more than bits of paper that turn pink when exposed to water, for example condensing humidity after coming in from the cold in cold climates, or going outside from over-air conditioned buildings in hot climates."

Uh, and that condensate causes water damage. It's not really unfair to blame it on water damage when condensation has formed INSIDE the device.

As questionable as Apple's ethics are, this is a perfectly normal exercise in self protection. And Apple aren't the only ones doing it. Practically every phone has them, digital cameras have them, and even some external HDDs have them. Even our old VHS player manuals all talked about possible condensation damage if moving between hot and cold areas. It's not rocket science - just plain old regular guy science.

6. 45RPM Silver badge

In my experience, and this applies to all retailers, good service can almost always be obtained if you flirt with the staff. Not in an over the top, camp, way - just a little light flirting. Works with British Gas. Works with Orange. Works with Apple. Works whether you're male or female - people like to be liked, and if they think that they're liked then they can be persuaded to help out even beyond the strict letter of their job description.

I know this to be true because I've worked in a support role, and I've had occasion to try out my tricks (especially when I had an iPhone 3G - not a very good phone, but the Geniuses always replaced it for free (5 times no less), even when it was out of guarantee). I found when I worked in a support role that most people, even the nicest, sweetest people you could ever hope to meet, came storming in in high dudgeon and initiated the conversation with a complaint. No hello even. I was seen as being an obstacle, a minion to be defeated, on the way to getting their problem resolved. Needless to say, this got my back up and ensured maximum obstreperousness. When I was seen as a friendly facilitator and, yes, when I was flirted with, I became very, very helpful indeed.

Of course, sometimes there is just plain bad service - the trick doesn't work all the time. But you'd be amazed how far please and thankyou can stretch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Preload the engagement...

If I were an apple employee of any grade - even low grade ones who have to dance around and hug and stuff at the beginning of a work day and someone rocked up saying "I've already written, and had published an article that about your dodgy button, now fix my phone" I'd either immediately pass the buck to my supervisor or get if fixed, tuning a blind eye to damp patches, termites, bent corners and so on give it a good polish. Good call on the planning front.

Obviously I'm not a low end apple employee - lets see how Genius they really are.

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Re: Preload the engagement...

When I was a support assistance, if some lousy hack had plonked his testes on the counter with a supercilious 'do you know who I am? I'm a bigshot journo and I'm gonna write bad things if you don't do what I want', I wouldn't have passed the buck. I'd have just mucked him (or her) about as much as I could (with a smile, of course). It's amazing how much you can muck a rude customer about without endangering your job.

Similarly, as stated previously, it's amazing how far above and beyond the requirements of your job you can help someone who is nice, and treats you nicely.

2. Anon the mouse

Lol, I used to work in a bar back before the reality star explosion of 2000ish.... Had no end of "famous" people going "Do you know who I am?". "Sure, you're the guy* that has to wait like everyone else".

I'd love to work in that Apple store, just to throw the "do you know who I am" card back at you.

*Usually footballers of the local premiership club, trying to impress their dates/partners.

1. Stratman

"Do you know who I am?"

"Is there a doctor in the house? This man doesn't know who he is"

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"Do you know who I am?"

When people try that line on me, I usually will respond with "If you really are important, then why are you here in person rather than have someone else take care of it for you?"

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

No need to flirt.

I've found that being honest, reasonable, polite and friendly is the best way to get somewhere. And you know what? When people are the same to me, I'm more inclined to go the extra mile for them, than if they came in screaming and ranting.

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you."

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@45rpm

To a degree, culturally dependent.

My daughter spent a year at a German university and came back with a distinctly German attitude to life, i.e. regulation says this, therefore this is what happens. Because that would be amtlich. She then spent a year in Italy and had problems getting the post, so she went to the post office to explain to the staff why the regulations say the post must be delivered, she was not getting the post, this must be attended to. No post.

The correct technique, of course, would have been to go to the post office, burst into tears, explain she was a poor student who did not seem to be getting any letters from her mummy, and promptly several staff would rally round and the problem would be solved. Because that would be simpatico

The question with a genius bar is how you suck up to a 19 year old sufficiently to get what you want without obvious urinary extraction or (if you are male, white and middle aged and the genius is female) being arrested.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

"...sweetest people you could ever hope to meet, came storming in in high dudgeon and initiated the conversation with a complaint. "

Many reasons for that.

- Most staff are ignorant twits

- Most staff have their own attitude

- People are not happy about being ripped off.

- Most staff view a legit complaint as another chance to rip you off again

- Most retail business these day are about thinking the customer owes them a living

Yes, there are plenty of customers out there running their own scams or are such miserable wankers that no amount of placating and silver platter service will mollify them. But most people just want what they paid for and to deal with something that isn't working, costs them time and money not covered by any warranty.

The customer owes the staff no apology for a problem created by the company. To expect such is pure hubris. Something else customers are getting tired of.

THAT'S why they show up in high dungeon.

I've been on both sides of this from a lowly stock boy up to million dollar deals hanging in the balance.

And yes, starting off civilized goes a long way. But the onus is still NOT on the customer.

Back on topic: "just works" eh?

*snerk*

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Most retail business these day are about thinking the customer owes them a living"

About 25 years ago, having been made redundant, I ended up in a sales job. The above is is almost word for word what they were preaching to the newbies. Each area of a specific size "owed" them a million quid per year and it was our "job" to get that money. All the "training" was about various ways to get that money, almost no time spent on teaching us about the product.

Fortunately, a week or so later I found a real job.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

2 up and 3 down? Thanks for proving my point.

The customer owes the staff no apology for a problem created by the company. To expect such is pure hubris. Something else customers are getting tired of.

7. Volker Hett
    Mushroom

You can't turn it OFF and ON again? We're doomed!

1. Unicornpiss

Unfortunately this is a big deal...

Even if you can somehow wake the device and use it with the faulty button, these devices need to be reset quite often to work right. I work for a company where we have hundreds of these things.

I think the genius bar works just like any other bar. After a few drinks people feel like geniuses, charming, bulletproof, etc., while the truth is far from it. Only at Apple's version a few pints could only improve them.

8. Bloakey1

Genius Bar Droids

Yes, and the really pretty efficient one is called Ann Droid.

;)

9. NightFox

The Few

I like the fact that despite Apple coming out with the standard spin of only a very small number of devices being affected, everyone I've read about online says that when they've entered their serial numbers, they're one of these chosen few. Anyone been told they're not within the range?

Even happened to my iPhone 5 after I'd sold it on, luckily Apple carried out an out-of-warranty free phone replacement to the new buyer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Few

I would guess that the issue showed up after they start shipping them, and if it took many months to appear (as it did with me) they could have 100 million out there with the potential for the issue.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The Few

"only a very small number of devices being affected"

Ah, of my favourite lines.

Only a small number are affected. But, when cornered, yeah, it's "only" 100 million" out of a total 5billion devices sold across all product lines over the entire life of the company, so not really all that many in the great scheme of things.

The following day, shouted from the rooftops, "LOOK, WE SOLD OUR MILLIONth iTHINGY IN A MONTH, that's HUUUUUGE SALES GROWETH, ARE WE CLEVER"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Wannabee Hack....

Everyone is a hack nowadays.... If you can comment online somewhere, you can pull the "press card". What makes a "hack" more influential than anybody else? Because they have a few articles on a two bit so-called IT website that is more satirical than serious? Get a life!!!!! If I was Apple, I would tell you to do one as you are a nobody that is not going to influence anybody to buy what you suggest....

Oh shit, I have just done what I said not to do..... Oh what a frigging carry on.... Oh & what sort of IT "hack" still has an iPhone 5??? That handset is SOOOOOO 2 years ago and a successful "hack" would have a 5S or a decent Android device, or even - SHOCK HORROR!!!! - a Windows Phone or Crackberry!!!!!!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Typical Wannabee Hack....

Not sure whether sarcastic. Still, 9/10.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These buttons are infamour

But being an Apple 'not bovvered'is the norm.

Dare to discuss it and tat 'you hate Apple' rears its magic head.

I guess the failures are simply accelerating with this one

The question is, did they wait until most were out of warranty to reduce options. You betcha !

1. 45RPM Silver badge

Re: These buttons are infamour

Of course, if there's an acknowledged fault with the device then it will be serviced, free of charge, even when it is many years out of warranty.

Speaking personally, I've never known Apple to have a 'not bovvered' attitude. Service has always been excellent. Other companies who've given me superb service are Sharkoon (on my PC case), Asus, Volvo…

Greater Anglia is the one company I can think of who give service that is fairly consistently bad - but I suspect that the staff are probably very demoralised, poor dears.

12. Conor Turton

Still not fixed it?

This is an issue which has been on the go since the iPhone 4. Seriously its long past due that they got it sorted. When I took my son's iPhone 4S to the local Genius Bar, two other people waiting for their appointments were in for exactly the same issue.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not bovvered

Only the users,

keeps em paying for 'any old rope'.

14. Andrew Davenport

Pah

I am still waiting for them to fess up or for people to put pressure on them to recall and fix all the 4GS handsets with broken WiFi and BT courtesy of IOS 6.1.3 and later. Its either faulty hardware OR faulty software so FIX IT or replace the otherwise previously working handsets!

Not to mention the fact that since the latest IOS7 update my Home button mostly refuses to work without a great deal of cussing, swearing and repeatedly pressing it!

My next phone will NOT be an iPhone!!!

1. donguevas

Re: Pah

There is no such thing as an Iphone 4GS. It is just the 4s.

1. Stevie
        Trollface

Re: Pah

There's no such thing as an Iphone either. It's an iPhone.

15. Don Jefe

Standards of Service

I can't believe Apple would do this. Their phones cost nearly $600 each! You would think they'd be Johhny On the Spot with fixing a problem that someone wasn't experiencing. You'd think that Apple would have better warranty service than Maybach. The rear passenger side air conditioning controls fail and it takes them nearly nearly 48 hours to receive and install the replacement unit! I bet the Apple and Maybach Customer Service EVP's shared a dorm room at university!

Probably right across the hall from the Director of Patient Care at Johns Hopkins that took nearly 36 hours to find the replacement parts and a surgeon qualified to swap out the pins in my aftermarket ankle assembly. That's just fucking crazy! It takes 36 hours to fix it and I couldn't even walk! It's a damn good thing my A/C didn't quit the same day my ankle locked up. I would have written an open letter to God through his proxy office in Rome.

The unmitigated gall of those 'geniuses' at the bar. Not to be a dick, but you should have known something was wrong a) when you called a bar and anyone told you to make an appointment (those calls rarely end in phone servicing, unless you get your cocaine hidden inside false iPhones). And b) when you went the first time and there was no bourbon on the shelf. NEVER trust any thing that calls itself a bar but has no bourbon.

Finally. Did you not try calling Apple? I've got a special number if I've got any Apple related problems. They fix me right up, right now, every time. I would have thought they would give you guys the special number as well. What's up with that?

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Standards of Service

"NEVER trust any thing that calls itself a bar but has no bourbon."

Don, I think you need professional help. Your hawaiian lawyer is obviously too busy ironing his shirts. Go easy on that ether.

The Tramp: Too much ether

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

But what happens if you take your butler to the genius bar to serve you bburbon while you wait for the Apple Genius to perform his de rigeur backroom shuttle?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Probably right across the hall from the Director of Patient Care at Johns Hopkins that took nearly 36 hours to find the replacement parts and a surgeon qualified to swap out the pins in my aftermarket ankle assembly. That's just fucking crazy! It takes 36 hours to fix it and I couldn't even walk!"

Outrageous. They could surely have gotten a surgeon not qualified in less than half the time.

You probably do not even need a surgeon to diagnose "entitlement syndrome". These things happen. Chill out.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don, surely in the time it took you to write that you could have fired up the old Bridgport, knocked out a few titanium pins and swapped them out yourself with the aid of a few paracetamol and some Jeyes fluid?

And if you want the real deal on car servicing, you have to pay the extra $100000 to get the Maybach badge on your car replaced with a Bentley badge. Then you get the helicopter land on your lawn with the mechanics to fix the passenger A/C, and you probably get a free escort to entertain you while you wait.

This constantly trying to do things on the cheap is obviously going to result in lousy customer service. Now take me, when I wanted a new mobile, did I buy Apple? No. Samsung? No. Vertu? No, not ostentatious enough. I just sold a few hedge funds and bought Vodafone. Go to the top, it's the only way.

1. Don Jefe

I really did want to make the replacement ankle myself. It is titanium and all, that's sort of my thing making it is it well within my capabilities, but the hospital would have no parts of it (Ha!). I even had one of the guys do up a full production simulation model (I couldn't do that in the hospital and missing a pinky as well). Even offered to pay full price for the off the shelf assembly I wouldn't need and legal sent over the same liability waver we use with all our clients. The one that absolves them of any bad stuff if we make a mistake and somebody loses an ankle and pinky or something. Still nothing. Bastard killjoys. I just wanted to say I had made my own, superior, body parts. Could have been a whole new business opportunity as well.

It was great when they were servicing their parts though. I pointed out why there's had failed and demonstrated with the prototype I made later how my design was immune to the compression forces that had seen their 'medical device' fail. Still, nope. Use the approved model or go to another country. Pantywaists. I even offered the surgeon a private job on my staff. He declined, and was a bit scared too. See 'pantywaist'.

The rest is exaggerated fiction for comic relief. The 'special' Apple number is for the intern I've named Apple, Crab. She's kind of grumpy. I think it's because she insists on demonstrating how smart she is when guys are around and they don't like that. I tell her it's like dating a girl that's super muscular, not cool. She needs to act dumb, then topple the bastards with a stunning display of intelligence when the prey doesn't expect it. Otherwise she'll never get dates. And the A/C controls never failed in the Maybach. Are you kidding?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The rear passenger side air conditioning controls fail and it takes them nearly nearly 48 hours to receive and install the replacement unit" (Don Jefe)

"And the A/C controls never failed in the Maybach. Are you kidding? (Don Jefe)

If you must troll, at least troll consistently.

1. mrfill

oh, that's a troll is it? I just thought it was a dick head. Thanks for the clarification

16. Lunatik

The early bird...

So glad I put mine in for FOC on the spot replacement for this issue, 2 weeks inside the 1 year warranty.

Chap barely looked at it, seemed to have seen quite a few before and that was in October 2013.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

translation

Small percentage = every one manufactured upto march 2013

18. quoll

Eligible may not mean affected?

I'm not sure that webpage is checking that you're in the small % of affected users, just that you are eligible should you have the issue. Both my wife and my iPhone 5 are eligible for the program, one sourced via Telstra Business and the other through BigW dept store with a big gap in between (months).

Or I might just be really unlucky....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FRS= Fone Replacement Specialist

For an iPhone appointment, you are more likely to be assisted by an FRS (Family Room Specialist), a sort of Genius Lite. They can service iOS devices only and not Macs.

There's a guide that tells the FRS if they can replace a phone in warranty or not depending on its condition.

Liquid sensors used to be treated as definite proof of liquid damage, but this is no longer the case. All iPhones have internal sensors which, if triggered will place the phone out of warranty, but there are usually other signs of damage such as corroded dock pins or a mottled display.

Check out http://frsexcuses.com for an idea of what they have to endure on a daily basis.

Also check out http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

before you take your phone to the store.

20. Alan Denman

Good job they do not make cars..............

"death certificate required to be sent with repair claim"

21. Sureo

World + dog comes down hard on Toyota's recalls.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What century is this again?

You have to manually copy the serial number from the phone to a website..

Why is there no OS update alerter utility that can check the serial and tell you? - oh because they don't want to tell you.. they don't want to proactivly fix the issue they want to retroactivly fix it, only those that HAVE the problem and check the website will find out.. In other words Apple want you to HAVE this problem before apple will fix it! - and you call that great service?! - Enjoy your iphone failing experience.

23. ukgnome
    Coat

So.....

you didn't upgrade to a 5S - who feels stupid now? Maybe you would like to phone me and complain.....Best of luck waking your phone up loser

*the one with the 5S in the pocket....

24. Confuciousmobil

I'm eligible.

I'm eligible but will I take mine in? Heck no!

I've had no problems and even if I did, it's not worth losing my JB for.

1. Velv

Re: I'm eligible.

It might be worth going through the paperwork to prove that you were eligible just in case it does break in the future.

25. JayBizzle

All I can say is....

About bloody time!

Piss takers wanted £129 to replace my phone when it was an obvious known fault. Now I need to haul my backside to the nearest Apple Store for it to be fixed (I need a temp phone). Thanks Apple, I wish you had got to this policy sooner, perhaps 2 months ago when I hauled my arse down there for this exact issue.

26. handle

Corporate Doublespeak

Maybe it's just an Atlantic language barrier, but "The iPhone 5 serial number you entered is eligible for this program," rather than an admission that it's faulty, makes it sound as if you've just won the lottery!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"was told the repair should take four to six days"

I swear I read the quote above as: "it takes four to six days to chuck it into the bin and a new phone to come out from the Chinese production facility by boat to here".

28. Velv
    Mushroom

And what about all the 3GS phones that have the same problem?

Everyone I know who still has their 3GS reports that the sleep/wake no longer works.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like