back to article Google+ maker Vic Gundotra: My work on this 'NETWORK THINGY' is DONE

Now that Google's "network thingy" is melded into the web giant's product line-up, the man behind Google+ Vic Gundotra has quit Mountain View to pursue a yet-to-be-revealed new venture. Arguably, his work is largely done at Google, a company that has routinely shied away from describing Google+ as a social network. In 2012, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CaptainHook

"We’ll continue working hard to build great new experiences for the ever increasing number of Google+ fans."

And as Google+ extends its reach into different Google services, so my participation in those services decreases. I'm basically down to my email address now which ironically has my real name as a the user part of the address.

1. BillG
      Joke

"We’ll continue working hard to build great new experiences for the ever increasing number of Google+ fans"

"... all five of them."

1. alwarming
        Joke

Re: all five of them.

And, based on the downvotes that your joke received, only 3 of them have a sense of humor..! ;-)

2. dogged

Google+ fans

rarer than Chromebooks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google+ fans

You know that Chromebooks are outselling Windows 8 laptops right now?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You know they're not, right? That comparison was done on a price-per-price level. A Windows 8 laptop at the price (and hence BoM) of a laptop is going to be so terrible that not even Curry's would try to sell it.

1. Rob Thorley
          Coat

I think you are over-estimating Curry's moral code and understanding of what makes a good device.

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

It now has 540 million such profiles, of which around 300 million people are said to be active in the Google+ "stream".

Is this "around 300m people" the ones who haven't figured out how to or haven't yet, disabled the g+ "integration" options on everything google?

4. Alastair Dodd 1
    Devil

g+ may be horrible

but remember the alternative is Facebook ruling everything social and that scares me more than the great old ones awakening (at least they would send us mad or turn us into cultists so we wouldn't care)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: g+ may be horrible

What exactly is "horrible" about G+

Is this just something you have read? or have you actually used it? I use it daily, and it's got far more value to me than any other social network. Twitter is for celebs, Facebook is for Plebs.

Please enlighten us?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Alastair Dodd1: Re: g+ may be horrible

How about the third option: not getting into any of the two ? Works great for me.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

90%

90% of Google+ "users" probably doesn't even use the network. They got the G+ account because they use other services belonging ot Google: Youtube, Documents, spreadsheet, Analytics or whatever.

1. Diogenes

Re: 90%

Read the amanda blain below & thought seeing I already have the account (was forced to create one with when setting up a nexus7) I thought I would see what the fuss was about.

Initial thought elicited a NSFW comment . Poked around for 30 minutes & still an anagram for "this". Lots of narcissists trying to look profound.

Then I was reminded of the Vincent Flanders (web pages that suck) rule - "if a man from mars can't work out your site within 4 seconds you are doing it wrong" so I probably spent 29 minutes & 56 seconds too long in it.

Honestly I am thinking about rooting the device so that I can get get rid of the googly goodness" like g+, gmail, people, play..,. drive, currents (what the hell is that ?) (and the added benefit of being able to plug in otg usb storage :-)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bingo

We have another winner.

http://www.amandablain.com/google-plus-ghost-town/

Got a G+ Account, but never used it, knows very little about it, but not letting that get in the way of jumping on the bandwagon.

Some people that are so keen to write about things they know little about, really need to take a moment, unboard the bandwagon at the next stop, and have a read of that article link above. By not doing so, they are all making themselves look like fools.

1. dogged

Re: Bingo

Let me ask you a question, AC.

If G+ is so popular and such a big winner on absolutely every front and is the future - I regret it, but I read the hilarious puff-piece article you linked. Does she also recommend buying Blackberry shares? - then how come all these reporters who are getting it wrong aren't already using it all the time? How come it's not their major source of cat videos?

How come nobody except about 83 nerds gives a flying fuck about Google+?

7. Chika

Why worry? Google+ is history

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/report-google-to-end-forced-g-integration-drastically-cut-division-resources/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mea5PsQZe2A

This topic is closed for new posts.