back to article Japanese boffin EYES up big bucks with strap-on digi-glasses

A Japanese boffin has unveiled a novel way of catching some kip at work without your colleagues finding out – a pair of OLED “glasses” designed to act as digital eyes. The bizarre invention, dubbed AgencyGlass, was invented by Tsukuba university researcher Hirotaka Osawa. It features two small OLED screens fixed to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Actually

“extend our social skills and decrease our emotional labour”

This replaces your social skills and decreases your humanity.

1. Vector

Re: Actually

I really think the presentation has it right with the term "emotional cyborg!"

We need this why..?

2. LaeMing
    Joke

Your eyes!

They are the most beautiful shade of Windows-has-crashed.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Your eyes!

BEOD?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ideal for meetings

However what they really need are screens on the inside so you can be, for example, researching something, err, let's say, more useful.

1. silent_count

Re: Ideal for meetings

"And no, sir. That's my Sennheiser hearing aid. I wear it at meetings all the time so I can better hear the vitally interesting talking points."

Yeah. Screw the nay-sayers! This marvellous invention would have improved every corporate meeting I've ever been to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Robotics...

I can see this better used in Social human robotic interaction situations. Eg, the robots having something similar.

As for human use, go one step further. create a mask that covers the entire face. That way you can choose your persona that reacts with your voice in realtime.

Talking cat!

1. Vociferous

Re: Robotics...

> Talking cat!

This being Japan I'm sure a full-face mask with a kawaii, underage, completely-nothing-sexual, manga cat mask (with ears) is in the works.

5. DropBear
    Trollface

So when are we going to go from "talk to the hand!" to "talk to the avatar!"...?

I mean, how is this not fun:

- "Yo, dude, wassup?"

- "Hello mr. ABC, I'm sorry but you don't seem to have an appointment set up with mr. XYZ at this time..." (insert obligatory "...so set one up!" / "can't do that, Dave..." reference)

6. Bill B

I've been on flights where the attendant's attitude was along the lines of "Oh God, I have another 4 hours looking after these unwashed plebs". Not sure glasses would have helped.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Bill B

Maybe it was just you and you should have got washed before boarding.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good thing we've..

......already cured cancer. WTF is this inventor thinking?

1. monkeyfish

Re: Good thing we've..

Because I'm sure an electronics/robotics professor has so much to offer the world of biochemistry...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Devil

Re: Good thing we've..

monkeyfish,

Of course he does. If he worked harder at making robot bodies, then we could be brains in a jar, strapped to giant killer robots already! What's he waiting for!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Justin Stringfellow

already been done

by Homer J Simpson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvqVylRw_kc

1. Ralph B
  9. Halfmad

Extremely handy for meetings at work..Whilst you sleep.

10. Sureo

It's heartwarming to see them working so hard at solving the world's pressing problems.

11. Christian Berger

This was just in the news in Germany

They even referred to "The Register". It was on DRadio Wissen.

12. Stevie

Bah!

So, an invention designed to give geeks even less social connection with their world and their peers, which makes them look even more creepy and unsuitable for close encounters than they do unglassed.

Job done then.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deja Vu

So basically, this is an updated version of the old ping-pong ball cut in half and eyes drawn on trick with added tech and creepiness?

This man approves:-

http://www.b12partners.net/mt/images/Conjuring_Today.jpg

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like