back to article Github cofounder resigns after clearance in sex-harass probe

Tom Preston-Werner, the cofounder and former CEO of Github, has left the company being cleared by a third-party investigation into claims of sexual harassment at the coding startup. "The investigation found no evidence to support the claims against Tom and his wife of sexual or gender-based harassment or retaliation, or of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

1. Jordan Davenport

I missed a T in that

I was wondering what you had against olives for a moment. Tasty oil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Re: I missed a T in that

Good bye and thanks for all the Fish?

2. Julian Taylor

I suppose she managed to get Preston-Warner to fork off to another branch.

I'll get my hat.

1. AbelSoul

I suppose she managed to get Preston-Warner to fork off to another branch.

After initial attempts to get her to commit but she wouldn't be pushed?

I'll get my hat.

Perhaps you could grab my coat on your way past?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Julie Horvath. Another name, like Adria Richards, that will be getting added to the little "avoid this political-correctness troublemaker like the goddamn plague" blacklist that I sometimes see circulated around all the various IT service companies we share market with...

The poetic beauty of this blacklist is, that any political-correctness troublemaker who sees it and wants to raise a fuss about it, knows full well that if they do, they'll end up on it.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

In fairness, I have been for some time in this business and I *have* seen the case where a superior went completely off-base, dishing out the complete harassment menu. Then the guy's wife called up and accused her. When the lady tried to get a hearing at the posh office level the old boys network just closed ranks and she was basically shunted to the basement and things were being sat on until she resigned.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Down

"The poetic beauty of this blacklist is, that any political-correctness troublemaker who sees it and wants to raise a fuss about it, knows full well that if they do, they'll end up on it."

And despite what you may think, there are principled people out there who will blow the whistle. The building trade tried this and big fines were handed out. It might even still happen, but if it is, it's on a much smaller scale. Then there's the "no poaching" débâcle Silicon Valley is currently in.

3. Jim 59

No AC, too much tarring with the same brush there. Richards was an extremist nutter IMO but Horvath is reasonable. They are very different.

1. ratfox

The way I see it, the fact that he resigned indicates more than clearly that the allegations were not groundless.

I'm not worried about Horvath finding a job. Any company that is secure in their handling of employees would welcome the opportunity to demonstrate they have nothing to fear.

4. Stevie

The poetic beauty of this blacklist is

While I was solidly for the ousting from Mozilla of whats-his-name, you know, the one who gave the world the Betsest Cross Site Scripting Vector Ever, I find this list offensive, odious and indefensible.

Not the principle of identifying repeat offenders and system gamers, that I applaud. But if you can get on the list simply by pointing at it it falls into a very different bucket, one that ends up at the place everyone claims we'll be in for what happened during the Mozilla Affair but way, way faster.

And in secret too.

I think that the poetic irony of this "circulating troublemaker list" idea is in fact that the people doing it and applauding those who do it are probably the loudest complainers against NSA surveillance.

And, when you think bout it, it is the same kind of thinking that ends in "special rendition", or the overly-inclusive, on-it-for-life sex offenders lists.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

unlike the anonymous cowards who won't have their names added to anything.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

PWOAAARR!

Julie Horvath ... had her code pulled by a staff member

...but was the code any good?

when she refused to sleep with him, and after female staff hula-hooped in the office while being ogled by male coders

While I do understand the sleeping bit, I do not understand why her code would be pulled "after female staff hula-hooped in the office while being ogled by male coders".

It sounds like a weird conflation of the Monty Python "job interview" and a standard Benny Hill production.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: PWOAAARR!

Those are selected incidents of the story, you can follow all the sordid details on reddit or ycombinator. Including the more worrying detail that the wife of the founder who allegedly did the bullying but wasn't employed by the company - claimed to have access to all the customer records and private chat logs

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Windows

Is it just me...

He said he was stepping down to avoid being a distraction to Github and is "insanely excited about the future."

...or does that sound like a euphemism for being taken away in a straight-jacket?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Is it just me...

"It's the Octocats. There are OCTOCATS EVERYWHERE!!"

6. Rick Brasche

so...

when did you stop beating your wife?

this is how all corporate takeovers will be handled in the future. passive aggressive backstabbing with character assassination.

May the Most PC win. :(

7. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Careful wording

In both quotes, it's stated they found no evidence of sexual harassment or bullying. Seems like a very specific denial, and it leaves the complaints of bullying and constructive dismissal unaddressed.

Horvath's story is more one of bullying and constructive dismissal than sexual harassment. If a co-worker of mine started purging all of my commits from the company's codebase, with the approval of management, I'd be livid, and I'd be getting myself an employment lawyer. Just like she did.

8. Trollslayer

Not cleared

Simply not found guilty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not cleared

of something they weren't really being accused of anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like