back to article A premium smartie lump: Oppo N1 CyanogenMod Edition

While most Chinese smartphone OEMs started life making cheap tat and then slowly began moving upmarket, Oppo has taken a slightly different tack. Its devices have been fairly high-end from the get-go and the N1, initially released running Android 4.2 back in September 2013, made quite a splash. Oppo N1 CyanogenMod Edition …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tachikoma

That swivel camera reminds me of my NEC e313 from 2004!

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

That's rather tempting.

3. petur

Or the swivel camera of the Nokia N800 (although that one came out in 2007)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice but

It's too expensive for what it is. The Galaxy Note 3 has 4G, expandability, and costs £100 less. At £300 I'd probably buy one for the entertainment value, but £450 plus is extracting the urine. No matter how nicely it is made, a swivel camera and a little remote don't compensate for the two year old innards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice but

Replying to myself because I can't edit, I note the Xiaomi M3 is around £300. No clever swivel camera but Snapdragon 800 chipset.

5. mahasamatman
    WTF?

Someone's having a laugh with that price.

Check this out for 200 squid

Full HD screen ... check (bigger at 6.4 inches)

8 core 1.7GHz cpu ... yes, 8!

13mp camera ... check

Card slot .... check

Removable battery ... check

http://www.comebuy.com/handys-android-smartphone-om32308.html

1. Pookietoo

Re: Someone's having a laugh with that price.

Probably looks nice but feels nasty, with a mediocre camera, burns through batteries, and not that cheap by the time you pay VAT, import duty and admin.

6. garden-snail
    Thumb Down

Nope

I know it's been said time and time again, but if we keeping repeating it like a mantra the manufacturers may one day get the message - no SD slot, no removable battery, no sale.

This review highlights some of the great features of CyanogenMod, but you can install CM on a whole range of devices. Chances are you already own one...

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/devices/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope

It's been said by you, but the vast majority of people have long since given up trying to store their entire digital life on their phone, it's a task that's bound to fail.

Be smart and sync what you need from the cloud. Do that, 32GB is ample, 16GB is fine.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Or at least if it has no SD card, bring back the ability to use it as USB Mass Storage, instead of whatever that wacked out broken "media/camera xfer service" crap is.

3. Tom Maddox Silver badge

This. The deciding factor between the HTC One and Galaxy S4 was the ability to add an SD card. I went with 64 GB initially, but I'll probably go with 128 when the price comes down.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Had a swivel camera in 1999 on my Sony C1XD http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O59893/sony-vaio-model-pcg-c1xd-portable-computer-sony-corporation/.

1. chris 17 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Wow, was it 13 MP, had wifi, 3G and a retina screen?

Basically exactly the same as this model then, just 15 years ahead of time.

8. Simon

It's good to know that my Galaxy Mega which has a larger screen is actually smaller than this, clever Samsung eh?

9. IHateWearingATie

Nearly there

Love the idea of the swivel camera, and the software sounds great. I'd prefer a smaller form factor, a removable battery (you'd be amazed how much I make use of battery swapping on my S4) and an SD card slot. And the price, given the internals, sucks.

Still, as a first effort this looks great as they will only get better. Their next gen may be a good replacement for my S4 when the time comes

10. AbortRetryFail
    Joke

Dab of Oppo

Troy Queef would no doubt wax lyrical about this phone.

11. davemcwish

On the plus side

the swivel camera is a clear differentiator from the rest of the current crop, not withstanding other commentards historical examples; it would be interesting to see how it lines up against the competitors particularly in low light.The software looks ok without the useless bloatware other droid handset have.

Having said that the rest of the hardware spec particularly absence of SD card is a major failing so thanks Oppo but no thanks. I'm a bit surprised really as their Blu-Ray offering is fairly highly regarded in comparison to the competition; they do have a higher level handset 'Find 7' though so maybe El Reg can get a review sample..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like