back to article AMD stock soars after positive quarterly report

AMD's stock rose by as much as 13 per cent on Monday morning when the Wall Street moneymen returned to work after their Good Friday holiday and rewarded the microprocessor and graphics design firm for its upbeat financial report for the first quarter of 2014. AMD's Monday, April 21 stock price rise We can hear the champagne …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Good to hear. As long as AMD is around, Intel will be forced to keep their chip prices reasonable.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Not just prices - specs too

Intel is yet to deliver anything remotely close to an A-series APU. The recent Athlons are pretty good too. I assembled myself a new 8 core test FX yesterday and it is pretty much on par with a dual socket Xeon box that is 10 times its price.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Not just prices - specs too

I am thinking about building a new HTPC and I am trying to decide between the new 4-core 25W Athlon 5350 or if I should wait for the yet to be released 45W A8-7600. I want the higher-quality video that comes with the AMD graphics over the Intel graphics. I have yet to see a video quality test for the Athlon 5350; I am not sure if it is good enough whereas I am confident the A8-7600 is.

2. Nate Amsden

Not in the server space with AMD giving up on the high end cpus.. Seems strange AMD gives up on high end CPUs for servers, and only really seems to compete in the lower end in the desktop/laptop market, and yet came out recently saying they only want to to after the "high end" in the tablet space.

would of liked to have seen a 32-core Opteron 6xxxx series 2Ghz+ in typical ~110W TDP. I don't need really fast cpus for my vmware systems but like to have a lot of cores for lots of VMs..

1. Philip Lewis
        Headmaster

"would of liked to have seen"

I would have liked to have seen

... geez, grammer these days :(

1. Mpeler
          Holmes

@Philip Lewis "would of liked to have seen"

Ahhh, the joys of "uncontracting contractions". Probably the poster was thinking "would've" as a contraction of would have....but in spoken language "would've" sounds the same as "would of".

Some contactions further confuse the issue by doing double duty, e.g. it's for "it is" or "it was". Sometimes the stem verb is different, as in "I would" or "I had" both contracting to "I'd" (the March of I'ds ?).

Another rant: led is the past tense of lead, not lead. Led poisoning, I presume. Bah!

3. gregthecanuck

Intel price list says "no"

For the last few years Intel has not been competitive on their chip prices.

Years back when AMD came out with new chips Intel would start to reduce prices. Pretty much every Intel price list revision would show decreases in quite a few areas. These days a price reduction on any chip is an unlikely occurrence.

1. P0l0nium

Re: Intel price list says "no"

The following is a real conversation between a "customer" and an "Intel sales rep" from the 1990s:

Customer: "That's an outrageous price! AMD will sell a 25MHz 386 for half that money but they're out of stock"

Rep : "Ours are cheap too when we haven't got any."

Think about it!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately...

...those on Wall Street just manipulate AMD stock price for profit. AMD's stock will stay low until they can prove over a period of years that they can maintain profitability and execute. They have some good products but they constantly fail to execute and their financials look like a roller coaster ride as a result. Their new diversification may help some but only if they can consistently execute.

3. All names Taken
    Happy

Maybe the attraction of a chipset-ecosystem-architecture capable of ARM and x86 works in financial circles?

4. Mikel

AMD is saucy

I like them. They have been beat down hard, but they get up again. Some first class engineers working there. ATI was way over the top too big a bite, and they almost choked on it. But long term it is hard to tell if that was not the right choice.

5. liquidsmoke66

The only reason is surely the surge in GPUs used for bitcoin/litecoin mining?

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Not really .....

..... as the newer R9's have only recently become part of the bought rigs. The old 79xx/78xx series cards are still holding their own in the cost/return stakes. Keep an eye on the prices of AMD cards, they aren't dropping as fast as they used to and the second hand market is vicious at the moment.

(That said anyone got any 7990's they want to donate? :D)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like