back to article Google to refund buyers of 'fake' anti-virus app

Google has decided that a smallish (for The Chocolate Factory) wad of cash is a trivial price to pay for maintaining its reputation, and has begun refunding punters who fell for the fake “virus shield” scam. Uncovered by Android Police earlier this month, the fake virus scanner was nothing more than an icon that changed shape …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

Developer needs a better excuse

"The developer of the app, Jesse Carter, defended himself to The Guardian by saying the app upload was a mistake."

So, he didn't notice that people were buying it? Come on, at least come up with something interesting. How about claiming it was a study of the placebo effect?

2. Peter 26
    FAIL

Refunding Bots?

But it appeared that most of the reviewers of his app were fake, which you can't do without buying it. So did Google just refund all his fake reviewers with £5?

He was out of money, now he's in the money! All he needs to do is make another slightly less obviously fake app and use all his fake google accounts to purchase it with their £5 credit, thanks Google.

1. VinceH

Re: Refunding Bots?

Why would Google "refund" fake reviewers? The article doesn't suggest they're doing that, it specifically states they're refunding purchasers. Since the app is purchased through the Play store, Google will have a record of exactly who purchased it, without having to go by the reviews.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can only review an app if you download it. To download it you have to purchase it. Therefore to leave fake reviews they must have 'purchased' it.

These fake purchasers could have just got their refund in 15 minutes and therefore they will probably not be compensated by Google.

However the app owner might have just taken the 30% Google commission hit for each fake purchase. He would then be getting a full refund of the full price back to 'him' plus a $5 gift voucher. So he be in the money for a second time.

2. Anonymous Coward 101

We needn't presume the reviewers were fake. It could well be people who decided that because they didn't get a virus after downloading the 'Virus Shield', the 'Virus Shield' must have worked.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Amazing...

"Google declined to say what action it would take over the app. It does not proactively review apps before they appear on the store.... Despite not protecting users against viruses, or doing anything at all, the app was the third most popular paid app on the entire Google Play store"... Guardian

So Google sits on its dosh and spends two dimes screening. Do they even have a team to write screening bots?.... I'm sure if I'd been the genius behind the 'Play Store', everyone, and I mean everyone on this rock would hassle me to death with every possible pedantic question i.e. who-how-what is this app & why should I trust you, before ever downloading...

Its amazing to me how people have such blind faith in everything Google. Am I the only one scratching his head right now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How Amazing...

"So Google sits on its dosh and spends two dimes screening."

Yes, it's so Apple don't sue them for copying their patented idea of testing apps before selling them to the public....but don't worry, after someone writes another app to add to the thousands already there that harvest your contacts, photos, videos, internet history and sell them to the highest bidder (facebook) Google will give you a fiver of foreign currency to say sorry. Then they will ban all the apps, because those features are already built into the OS anyway and cut into Googles own profits from selling your information.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"One of our developers simply made a foolish mistake"

"Jesse Carter, whose Deviant Solutions uploaded the app"

----Oh please STFU... "Even your name is a dime store joke" (Angel Heart)

5. hypernovasoftware

Google should have caught this fake piece of crap before it was made available for sale.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like