back to article Multi-hypervisor workload ... what? Just think of it as a virtual MAGIC CARPET

Zerto offers multi-hypervisor and cloud workload transformation and protection services – there, I’ve said it. But what does it mean? It means that Zerto is using knowledge gained from replicating virtual machines (VMs) at the hypervisor level to convert them from one hypervisor’s VMs to another. It is doing this because of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lusty

Sounds a lot like the NetApp project shift which has been available for a couple of years in their SAN products. It's also now the basis for one of Microsoft's MATs for converting from VMware to Hyper-V

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2JCkVgv38‎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANszL-PuLY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spot on. There are plenty of tools out there, but this "article" focused on only one. It read more like a press release.

1. smt789

Of course it reads like a press release. Most stuff here, and everywhere else, does.

However what the Zerto guys are doing is very cool. This is real-time replication with a lot more built-in. If I want to move from a VMware-based cloud to Azure, I point and click. When it syncs I can failover over a multi-VM application in a few minutes. That includes full network failover.

Converting formats is one thing. Doing it with zero data loss and a downtime window of a few minutes is very cool. Doing it with software that is completely independent of the hardware and hypervisor infrastructure is also very cool.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Caution

As others have put it, this is cool. Awesomely so. And it removes vendor lock-in in the best way. So, all you vendors out there who think your customers don't have an out, beware.

Thinking about it, this is definitely a nice tool to have in your kit as a systems integrator.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like