back to article Leaked photos may indicate slimmer next-generation iPad

Photos have surfaced that purport to show Apple's next iPad having a bonded LCD and front-panel glass display, allowing it to be even thinner than the current 7.5mm (0.29-inch) thick iPad Air – or perhaps the same thickness, but with a larger battery. Leaked photo of purported new iPad display, back Here's the back of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ecofeco Silver badge

Slimmer?

Slimmer?! It's so damn slim now it's actually hard to hold.

1. Argh

Re: Slimmer?

Maybe they were irked by the Samsung commercial that made fun of their iPad Air/pencil commercial and one-upped their thinness.

It shows the pencil, then the iPad Air behind it (as the iPad commercial does), and then the slimmer Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 behind that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fThtsb-Yj0w

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Edge-to-Edge Display?

Given the size of an iPad exceeds that which can be sensibly held from the back by a single hand, how would one hold onto an iPad (or any tablet) without a bezel without constantly mashing the screen with random buttons? Maybe glue a chunky door-knob onto the back for grip?

1. Michael Thibault

Re: Edge-to-Edge Display?

>how would one hold onto an iPad (or any tablet) without a bezel

With whatever you care to connect to the recesssed bayonet mount located around the Apple logo on the back.

3. Graham Marsden
    Holmes

"leaked from China...

"...and presumably were shot by a component supplier"

Or leaked by Apple themselves to get some pre-launch publicity buzz...

(Pardon my cynicism)

1. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

@Graham Marsden Re:"Or leaked...."

Indeed. I realise that El Reg has to earn its crust like the rest of us. However, I do think that they could, now and then, restrain themselves from giving the publicity hungry corporate troll the meal it so evidently desires. After all, in this case, El Reg have little to lose - hmmm?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do they keep making it thinner, already every person I know with a tablet shove them into cases..

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Tablet cases...

A friend kept his tablet in an 'Otterbox' brand case. He thought it was cool, until I told him that his precious and formerly-cool tablet now looked a bit like a mentally-challenged child sent outside wearing a helmet.

5. Rick Leeming
    Trollface

Paper Thin?

All those people making anything over 80gsm better watch out, they're risking being sued for infringing on patents to do with slimness.

6. ckm5

Fake - it's a mobile device repair stall...

If you look carefully at the background, you can see that this was shot in one of those dime-a-dozen repair shops all over China. I seriously doubt it's a leak, probably photos of a knockoff.

7. john devoy

Doesn't this mean when the super brittle glass of your ipad cracks, you need to replace the tft as well? even if that would have been undamaged before.

1. Truth4u

yes but relax, next ipad they'll bond the battery on as well so the whole thing can break with one big satisfying CRACK. It might sound bad at your end but in Cupertino all they will hear is KERCHING.

2. h4rm0ny

In theory, yes. But in practice, it should be fine. The screen on the Surface RT / Surface 2 is bonded. I dropped that once onto a tarmacked road and although the very edge chipped slightly, it landed face down and didn't even scratch. Gorilla Glass is tough and I would assume that the new iPad is similarly equipped. Especially if it's bonded to the screen like the Surface.

1. h4rm0ny

So am I to assume that the downvotes are because someone doesn't like me saying the iPad will not crack easily, because I dared mention a Surface, or are they just offended by my dropping tech onto a hard surface?

What does go through some people's heads?

1. Stoneshop
          Devil

Surface

or are they just offended by my dropping tech onto a hard surface?

You didn't drop it under a bus.

8. MachDiamond Silver badge

2x the thickness

How about making them twice as thick? They could be much stronger and could fit a battery that would last for a couple of days. At some point, there is a thing as too thin. It's not as if you'd be shoving this into a tight pocket.

1. Adam 1

Re: 2x the thickness

Stop with this nonsense!

I need a tablet that can double as a cheese knife.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: 2x the thickness

NO! iPads should be thin enough to cut bread/their owners/air molecules that drift too close, in exactly the same way that what people really want is phones with screens so big you can hang them on the wall to hide your TV.

(A friend got a Sony Z1 'Compact' the other day, it's as big as her old iPhone, I dread to think how big the Z1 is.)

9. JaitcH
    FAIL

No screws- more glue?

The Cupertino gang have only managed thin by eliminating screws, and serviceability, and using glue.

Not exactly Green.

10. Vociferous

No idevice repairability == customer buys a new idevice.

Planned obsolescence is the engine which powers the growth of the mobile market.

11. joed

So a dude buys the slimmest tablet/phone

only to pack it into an inch thick case

makes sense, but never ceases to amaze me

1. Trooper_ID

Re: So a dude buys the slimmest tablet/phone

my case is only 2cms thick, that is less than an inch. In fact, it is slimmer than an inch.

12. Stevie

Bah!

Because of all the things that could be done to up the iPad's game, extra thinness is top of everyone's list.

This post brought to you by the Midori browser running on a Raspberry Pi (about a half inch thick with case)

Just because I can.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for the iPad Pro to be re-rumoured....

Now MS Office* is available for the fruity fondleslab, a bigger model makes more sense than ever.

* A big win for both Microsoft and Apple, regardless of how much most of us dislike the subscription model. IMHO.

14. Darryl

Wafer thin mint?

Instead of adding functionality/battery, let's just make it thinner and thinner because looks are everything

15. Justin Clements

Ok, I'll admit it

I never thought the original iPad was exactly thick in the first place!!?? In comparison to what came before it, it was a lightweight, and even when it was released it was thin. Even today, 4 years on, and our original iPad used daily still does not feel thick. And who cares about the thickness when a case easily doubles the thickness of the device anyway?

I blame techies for have weak left hands and limp handshakes with cries of "it's so heavy". Pussies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ok, I'll admit it

A couple of days ago I was holding an iPad 1 immediately after a Samsung Tab 3 in a case. I was amazed at how thick and clunky it felt, even though when it came out it was the epitome of lightness. Like frogs in slowly warming water, we don't notice the pace of change (until we get to see the difference between old and new).

I can see the argument for being as thin as possible; it's not just convenience, it improves heat dissipation. But I am amazed that they get it all in there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like