back to article Nokia halts sales of Lumia 2520 Win RT tablet over zap-happy charger

Nokia's Lumia 2520 is one of the few tablets to ship with Windows RT besides Microsoft's own Surface line, but the Finnish firm has now suspended sales of its ARM-based Windows fondleslab in Europe due to issues with its charger. In a product advisory published on Thursday, Nokia said that quality-assurance testing had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Philippe

Shocker.

Everybody calm down.

The two users have been informed, nobody got hurt.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Pint

Re: Shocker.

Yup - always wise to keep a spare.

2. davidp231

Sounds like they were built by BOFH Industries.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

glad i took that one back

I bought one a few weeks ago on the last day of a good offer from John Lewis (£100 off, and the price really did go back up the next day).

However, I took it back 24 hours later (all praise to JL's no quibble returns policy).... because I suspected it might be a lemon when Outlook RT (free as part of a quasi-home edition of Office on Win RT that came free with it, and a big reason for the purchase) crashed on each start up after initial setup and only had a display box telling me so without any action button (OK or Cancel) on it... So impassible through to the actual program.

On trying to repair program, it asked me to insert the windows or office (i forget which) installer CD...on a tablet? Really? How is that going to be connected and "just work". I might be techie (ish), but if i have to side load just to use it the first time...mmm. yeah OK, back that goes. And now the charger was dodgy all along too. Hunches can be good sometimes.

I think this thing was still birthed because it was no body's baby anymore, flogged cheap (with cheaper than usual accessories perhaps) to get rid of built stock, so it did not upset the incoming owners recently surfaced second offering.

4. DrXym

On the bright side

30,000 is not many people affected.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On the bright side

That was the number of chargers affected, not people. Judging by the popularity of Win RT tablets, I'd hazard to guess the actual number in the hands of customers to be a small fraction of this total.

5. Fihart

Been there done that

Yup, Chinese-made non-Apple iPod charger -- top came off in my hand exposing bared mains wires inside.

Do they test nothing ?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Been there done that

I've got some cheap 240V LED downlights with ballasts that aren't insulated from the light's aluminium body. That was an interesting discovery.

Then there are some that are insulated ... with a single layer of transparent adhesive tape.

2. pepper

Re: Been there done that

Filhart, you might enjoy this reading:

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

I found it very enlightening concerning chargers.

6. returnmyjedi

It's a shame that Windows Rt is such a lemon because the 2520 tablet is a rather nice piece of kit in terms of design and build, with possibly the nicest screen I'm yet to see on a tablet. It still puzzles me why MS didn't copy Apple and Android and just have WP on larger screens.

7. This Side Up
    Devil

You'd think ...

people would know how to make a charger by now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like