back to article Battle of the Linux clouds! Linode DOUBLES RAM to take on Digital Ocean

Linux server slinger Linode has doubled its RAM allocations per-server, and swapped out all its hard drives with SSDs allowing it to match upstart Digital Ocean on prices. The new gear was announced by the company in a blog post on Thursday. It contains new Ivy Bridge E5-2680 v2 processors, greater networking bandwidth, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PushF12

Linode and Amazon

Before this price change, Amazon EC2 instances could breakeven against Linode only if you used less than a few hundred megabytes of traffic each month. Linode now provides much more computing per dollar, but they have much less service granularity, and only recently began to provide post-paid billing.

Linode is a good vendor that has the right price and service levels for small and medium sized business. I hope they survive the cloud price wars.

// The basic $20 package at Linode buys 8 cores (one with priority), 2GB memory, 48GB SDD storage, and 3TB traffic. In comparison, the m1.small instance at EC2 costs $32.21 by itself plus traffic, and 3TB of outbound traffic cost $367.

// The only way to make it comparable is to pre-pay for a year to get a 60% reserved instance discount. And the t1.micro doesn't count for comparison because it basically runs as a background idle process on leftover EC2 resources, if any.)

1. tacitust

Re: Linode and Amazon

They're reduced the number of cores for the $20 plan from 8 to 2, which is a bone of contention for a few customers, though Linode claims it will greatly reduce CPU contention between accounts, so should be better overall for most people.

I just upgraded and my poxy little WordPress blogs load much faster than they did before. I'm happy :-)

2. Ian 55

For $20/month and up

Linode just got a lot better.

But DigitalOcean will sell you a 512MB server for $5/month. For a lot of things, that's enough memory, especially as they don't force you into having a 64-bit system (thus increasing how much memory everything wants).

1. tacitust

Re: For $20/month and up

From a hint in the Linode blog's comments, it sounds like they're going to be offering cheaper plans, though I suspect 1GB for $10/month is as low as they will want to go. They've always been reluctant to engage in the bargain basement end of the VPS market, preferring to focus on reliability and service, which, as a long term customer, is fine by me.

Regarding 64-bit, their announcement says that if you need a 32-bit distro, to open a support ticket, so they're not ruling it out completely, but I suspect they have taken the decision to reduce the overhead of supporting 32-bit versions of the various Linux distros. It's a judgement call, I guess. Given that they are unlikely to offer a 512MB plan, and the fact that they have just doubled the RAM of all the existing plans, no doubt they don't think lack of 32-bit support will be an issue going forward.

Either way, Linode is far more competitive on the specs today than they were yesterday, and time will tell whether it will be enough or not. I suspect it will be, though they won't be able to rest on their laurels for long.

3. rvt

I have been using Linode for a few years now having a 40usd/mth and a 80usd/mth plan I can honestly say I am super happy with the service.

Compared to rackspace which I use for professional use, the linode servers do have much more bang for the bug.

1. tacitust

I'm curious. What keeps you at Rackspace for professional use given that Linode does have so much more bang for the buck?

4. Number6

I have a Linode server, it took me a day or so to set it up as I wanted it last year and it's been up and running ever since. Being able to choose its country of residence is a big plus too, and the bandwidth allowance is much more than I could probably chew up given its normal usage. Making it a VPN endpoint means if I'm out and about with dubious WiFi, I've got a decent secure connection. I can recommend having a VPS simply for that :-)

5. tentimes

ERROR in article te

Digital Ocean not only has backup, it has FREE backup. I like the price of free.

1. Sir Alien

Re: ERROR in article te

Wrong! Backup on digital ocean backup is NOT free and it says on the vps creation screen that it costs 20% of the vps. Still cheaper than most but the backup costs can add up.

Snapshots AFAIK right now are free but those are not live and require the vps to be turned off to use the feature.

So the article is indeed correct

6. rogerdpack

competition is good

Fascinatingly, their new price point for $20 seems to exactly match the offerings from DigitalOcean...interesting...

Has anybody tested their networking throughput to see if they actually match those numbers advertised? If they do match them, that would make them something of a competitor to AWS for bandwidth speed...

Also apparently they went down (for the $20 one) from "2 cpus, up to 8 depending on neighbor use" to a "guaranteed 2 really fast cpus" (which is less total cpu apparently). FWIW.

Anyway, sticking with DigitalOcean for now, since they offer a $5 512MB plan--that's enough for me :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like