back to article Red Hat to ship RHEL 7 release candidate with a taste of container tech

Red Hat has announced that a release candidate (RC) of the next version of its flagship enterprise Linux OS has already been distributed to its strategic partners and will be made available to the general public next week. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7 has been in beta since December 2013. With this new testing release, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lyle Dietz
    Linux

Centos?

Given the new tie up between Centos and Redhat, can we assume that Centos 7 will release at the same time, or will it be a few months? Enquiring minds and all that.

1. Morrie Wyatt
      Linux

Re: Centos?

Even given that Centos now receives active support from Redhat, I still doubt that Centos can remove all of the trademark branding from RHEL 7 without a considerable level of due care.

So I suspect that months is the more likely answer, though probably fewer of them than the likes of Scientific Linux et al.

2. -v(o.o)v-

Could be many months. CentOS 6 was way behind but I recall 6 had a lot of problems. In any case it will be several weeks to couple months.

1. bigtimehustler

I would imagine a lot of work on removing branding is already happening, i mean, if they are at RC stage with RH then not all that much will change, branding requirements and putting together a reference centos 7 is probably already in full swing, from then they will just backport in the future tweaks and changes RH release in the coming months. Much like they do with every point release anyway.

1. fnj

I bet PUIAS/Springdale's release beats the others as usual.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The CentOS Community are already working on it:

+ http://seven.centos.org

EPEL 7 packages are already showing up:

+ http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/beta/7/x86_64/repoview/

2. Down not across

Atomic Edition?

Damn those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride

3. keithpeter Silver badge
    Pint

Try it

RHEL7 Beta is stable when used as a desktop client system on my testing laptop. As in 'better than some major releases'.

The installer provides a lot of choice as to software to be installed (default is a base install, just CLI, you chose extras from there from a checklist, Debian TASKSEL style but with finer grain). A choice of KDE or Gnome desktop is provided. The Gnome choice provides Classic and Gnome, with Classic as the default. Full hard drive encryption can be set up with one click at install (as per EL6). I did discover that you can't easily shrink an XFS partition. 64 bit only, and some of the older wifi drivers have been dropped from the kernel including Ath5k. There is an EPEL kernel that will provide those drivers, and CentOS are talking about CentOS Extras containing alternate kernels (Centos Devel mailing list).

I've popped the test laptop over to Manjaro Unstable to try Gnome 3.12 which is going fine. Gnome Shell 3.12.1 hit the servers today. I'll pop back onto RHEL7 RC next week when I can find the time. Gnome 3.8 is quite nice. Yes, I'm probably one of about 3 people that actually quite like Gnome. I put that down to using DWM (suckless.org) for a year or so. Search based keyoard driven desktop seems natural now.

@fnj Lets hear it for PUIAS/Springdale. One of the best kept secrets. Mind you, they are distributing EL6.4 still and relying on post install update to take people to 6.5. Probably sensible given the scale of the operation.

@ -v(o.o)v- The issues around EL6.2/El6.3 have been addressed I think (end user here). Have a browse on the Centos Devel mailing list archives. The RedHat link up does at least mean a better build system. Some of the delay was obfustication of kernel updates by RedHat as a result of Oracle's release I believe.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like