back to article German space centre endures cyber attack

Germany’s space research centre in Cologne has been the victim of a co-ordinated and covert targeted attack carried out by state-sponsored hackers, according to a Der Spiegel report. The paper's report says that last Sunday the German Aerospace Centre (DLR) contacted the National Cyber Defence Centre in Bonn after it found …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymaus Cowark

cooperation is good but china does not trust the germans.

It would prefer more control.

1. Vic

> china does not trust the germans.

Whereas we already know that America doesn't trust the Germans, or else they wouldn't have been bugging Merkel's phone...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

After two world wars, I would hope no one would trust the Germans. After all, they're frikkin crazy

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          FAIL

I suggest you look in a mirror mr(s) A/C

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Our planz for the V2 hafe been stollen!

But Frau Merkel schläft jetzt. HERGOTT!

1. foo_bar_baz

Re: Our planz for the V2 hafe been stollen!

And you are saying it was a cakewalk?

3. John Deeb

"state sponsored"?

Puzzling how anyone at this stage could determine that these attacks are "state sponsored". Obviously there'd be a lively global trade in information which hackers and intelligence agents from all over the world might be involved in. But to scream "state sponsored" without some Snowden-scale leaking -- would likely be a tad primature.

1. frank ly

Re: "state sponsored"?

The "state sponsored" description is used to mean that the development effort, along with testing and insertion into the target would be so expensive as to require a very rich sponsor, i.e a state level backer.

I suppose that it's possible for a major banking trojan development group or a drugs cartel to finance this level of operation but it seems unlikely.

4. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

How do you think...

...Given the United States’ pre-eminent global position in space exploration, it’s unlikely but not impossible that it would resort to such tactics...

... you STAY pre-eminent..?

(Actually, what's more likely is that NSA is suffering a lot of budget hits internally - the Treasury won't have liked all the problems NSA have been causing. And so NSA has, of its own bat, started a push to help other parts of government who might support it and who might need budget. NASA would be a good example. I can easily imagine a meeting between NASA and NSA chiefs where NSA say: "You know, if you support our bid for another $100bn, we might be able to provide some satellite guidance designs...")

Who am I kidding? What's MUCH more likely is that, having got the satellite guidance designs, NSA go to Treasury and say "You know that request of NASA's for $100bn to develop satellite guidance designs? Well, here is a complete German design. Can we have their $100bn now?"...

Signed,

an ex-government employee...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

found malware on machines used by researchers and sysadmins.

"Whatcha researching there Hanz, dear god what are those girls doing to that ferret"

"Ummm, we were hacked?!?"

6. Flyberius

There's no evidence...

...to disprove aliens did it.

Therefore aliens did it. Or the NSA. NSA or Aliens. Certainly not the chinese tho.

7. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

As if by blaming someone, some nation or some organization the problems were optimised to Min or to Max accordingly?

1. Uffish

Re: ... blaming

Coming out with a very long list of very long German swearwords would be better, but blaming it on X or Y (and don't forget Z) probably eases the pain a bit.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

Bear in mind

That there are several other countries who would benefit from acquiring space technology.

The Norks for starters - they certainly have form, look at what happened with the South Korean malware infestation last year.

Other countries with orbital capabilities include Japan (whose reliability record in this area is woeful), India (quite sucessful, but needing more tech) , Brazil (when they're not blowing up their people on the pad), Israel (I wouldn't put anything past this lot, they're madder than a box of frogs) and Iran (Whose rhetoric is mostly along the lines of a threatened blowfish)

Of that list the only ones I'd discount as a possible state-sponsored source would be Japan, but my money's on the Norks.

9. billse10

"The news set alarm bells ringing in Berlin as DLR not only researches space and aeronautics systems but also “armament and rocket technologies”."

This also set alarm bells ringing in parts of London: I think we always knew there was some reason the DLR manages to be more efficient or at least less cr*p than some of the alternatives, but armament research isn't on the list of things that would seem obvious .. (unlike some very obvious things such as being a hacker from absolutely anywhere in the world and trying to leave China-shaped suspicious markings behind, knowing that certain parts of the commentariat will blame the NSA anyway, no matter what the truth, and others will find China a perfectly credible suspect)

Oh well, back out in to the sunshine (via the arms and space research company) ...

10. Vociferous

Tech-theft? China.

If it'd been 'Germans for Palestine' or 'German Treehuggers United' then it'd have been NSA.

And if it had been anything remotely related to energy production in general and gas in particular: Russia.

Everyone has their niche.

11. herman
    Devil

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Effing Windows

Come over here and defend that stinkin operating system. Why on earth, and in space, would any one with a scientific inkling use effing Windows?

The've have won. They've infected the world with illogicality to such a degree that a scientific organisation is using an OS made for business men. If only I could enjoy this comedy while I wait for the humans to become extinct.

1. RainForestGuppy

Re: Effing Windows

And why do you assume that they use Windows?

No where in the reg article or in the original Spiegel article does in mention an OS. It mentions Malware and trojans, any OS can be susceptible to malware and trojans.

Assuming that one OS is secure and another is not is a great way of demonstrating your complete ignorance of computer security.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, we have a sucker ladies and gentlemen. How do know a MS applologetic?

Well dear little Guppy, lets take a look at what the article says, shall we?

"The attack was “co-ordinated and systematic” with some of the Trojans used designed to self-destruct on discovery, while other malware lay silent for several months before being activated, according to the report."

Would you like to now argue the fact that just because it seems like they are using Windows does not mean that they are using Windows? You MS pride is shameful.

1. Vic

"The attack was “co-ordinated and systematic” with some of the Trojans used designed to self-destruct on discovery, while other malware lay silent for several months before being activated, according to the report."

Would you like to now argue the fact that just because it seems like they are using Windows does not mean that they are using Windows?

*What* ???

I think we need an award for "non sequitur of the week"...

Vic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like