back to article LOHAN's Punch and Judy show: The big fat round-up

The dust has pretty well settled on the Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) Punch and Judy test flights, and we now present for your further entertainment a round-up of the two missions. Watch Video As you can see from the above timelapse video of the launches last Thursday, we did finally get off the ground after a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

What's in a name

If you're going to call the "space port" Baconur, then surely the rocket launch vehicle should be renamed Blue Streaky. Or would that be a bit too rash - errr.

2. Bronek Kozicki
    Megaphone

Doomsday

... more like "failed fail switch". You need to improve it!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Doomsday

What this project needs is a "TITSUP" switch (I'll leave it for others to create the backronym). The switch is designed to make everything else go completely and utterly titsup. All you need to do next is press the switch: when it fails (which it inevitably will) the logical result will be that everything else works perfectly.

3. Anonymous Custard
    Boffin

...with the balloon up a tree...

...with the balloon up a tree...

So at least something went as you would expect it to have done... :)

Anyway nice one lads, beers and bacon butties all round (and one of the latter for me, great name for the launch site too btw).

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: ...with the balloon up a tree...

Well yes, there has to be at least one tree involved.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

there has to be at least one tree involved.

A Vostoak?

Also, could someone with more time make a proper joke using the pun "A Mir trifle", please?

Ta.

Anon because: shame.

2. John Gamble

Well yes, there has to be at least one tree involved.

Only one? Surely you can do better than that.

Re: Re: ...with the balloon up a tree...

One is the absolute statutory minimum. Obviously, dense woodland is ideal.

3. Irony Deficient

Re: …with the balloon up a tree…

Lester, I take it that Judy didn’t have a lodestick installed? (Though given their names, I suppose that one might have expected Punch to be the one wielding a stick.)

Re: Re: …with the balloon up a tree…

Yes, we need a dendronic repulsive lodestick. In Punch's case, it'd be handy if it also repelled police officers.

4. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Coat

Put the tree on the moon. LOHAN will then become a lunar lander!

4. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

So, the camera lenses didn't become frosted on the way up and only got external condensation on them going through the lower clouds on the way down?

Presumably, that will be even less of an issue in Spain.

P.S. Baconur, eh? I Salyut you.

Yes, external condensation. Very cloudy and damp in the lower atmosphere. Salyuts to you too.

5. A K Stiles
    Pint

But the most important question...

What was the beer like at The Star?

Re: But the most important question...

Pretty good, and a friendly bunch too. On the SPB's list of recommended post-mission boozers.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: But the most important question...

"Pretty good, and a friendly bunch too. On the SPB's list of recommended post-mission boozers."

Ah, good show. Tell 'em you're "journalists" and they'll get a "mention" followed by free beers all round for the SPB team eh?

6. tentimes

Video

Any chance of getting onboard video next time?

And what about a jump fro space by a lego action figure with a cam on?

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Video

For these projects LegoTM is a four letter word.

7. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Another mission failure

Missed the greenhouse, I see.

Better luck next time...

8. Matt Wellard
    FAIL

Classified piece of equipment?

You do realise that your "classified piece of equipment" is clearly visible in the first photo of this article and several photos in the last article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/11/punch_and_judy_update/)!

I can't identify it but I'm thinking maybe panoramic video? That would be cool to watch the launch with...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Classified piece of equipment?

Cripes. Quick - someone! What do we do now? Smash up some laptops in the basement?

C ;-)

9. NoneSuch Silver badge

"we did finally get off the ground after a cancellation on 5 April due to excessive wind."

What were you eating that day?

10. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Why Baconur?

Why did you guys decide to do the test flights in Britain (where there seems to be lots of houses and fields and people and property lines) instead of Spain (where there seems to be lots of empty, uninhabited land)?

Top work though.

Re: Why Baconur?

In this case, I had to go to Blighty with the Vulture 2 for its vinyl wrap anyway, so it was much easier to assemble the team there.

This topic is closed for new posts.