back to article Microsoft's Nadella: SQL Server 2014 means we're all about data

Microsoft's new CEO Satya Nadella made his third trip in as many weeks to San Francisco to announce the third piece in the puzzle that's Microsoft's future strategy: it's all going to be about data, he said. Nadella It's all about the data "The era of ambient intelligence has begun, and we are delivering a platform that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The new build of SQL is designed to handle all data in-memory, a shift that would increase processing times by a factor of thirty, Nadella claimed."

Err, I don't think so and the simplistic fallacy: sizeof(RAM) < sizeof(hard disc).

I believe it can keep a particular table type in RAM without a persistent backing store but not all data. With enough batteries and generators and clustering of your RAM based tables and trickling back to rust/SSD, that could be quite nifty if handled very carefully.

Still, it makes a nice marketing epithet. I'm sure no other DB does that already ...

Cheers

Jon

1. Matt 21

I think he's talking about in memory databases. However, SQL Server still hasn't got that fully working yet as there are a number of limitations which mean it's not usable for most people. Let's see if they can remove the limitations with the next release.

On the other hand, as you mention, you'll need to either not care about losing the data or you'll need a battery backup and a lot of faith that neither Windows, nor SQL Server, nor your hardware will ever fail.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

an application he said had been "born in the cloud,"

What does that even mean?

1. AndyDoran

Re: an application he said had been "born in the cloud,"

beget from vapourware?

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: an application he said had been "born in the cloud,"

It means the waiting is over. We now *know* that Microsoft's new CEO has no more of a clue than the last one. Win9 will be more window dressing, the next version of SQL Server will be a subscription model with all your data held in the cloud, and there's going to be a major new platform announcement as they reveal "WinBS", the successor to the legacy WinRT platform.

3. Tom 7

ambient intelligence

so sort of background level then?

4. Gartal
    Angel

More mush anyone?

"The era of ambient intelligence has begun, and we are delivering a platform that allows companies of any size to create a data culture and ensure insights reach every individual in every organization,"

Oooohhh, doon't it soond woonderfull? Ambient intelligence! A Data Culture! Insights reaching every individual in every organisation!

Was it Samuel Clemens said "Common sense ain't so common"? I thought you hired the young because they know everything but it turns out that instead of reading self help books, all you need is a Data Culture with Ambient Intelligence.

What a load of mushed cobblers. Really!

Does this mean that we are now past Convergence, Solution solutions and all of the other blather we have had to endure for the last thirty years? Now we can get touchy feely with an AIDC because all of this stuff is in our DNA (or it was several years ago.)

If you think I don't know what I am talking about you are right, I just read this nonsense from Our Man At The Front, Satya and my braynes are gone like a Glurk trolling.

5. W. Anderson

More hype than any proven substance... Continued

If Microsoft has licensed Hadoop, which several of it's Apache Hadoop developers state works less efficiently on Windows server 2012 with SQL Server than on enterprise Linux and BSD UNIX-like high end server deployments, then Nadella's claims are obviously shallow and without verified technical merit.

Furthermore, all of the objective, non-Microsoft sponsored testing - laboratory and real world - on comparisons between SQLServer against Oracle 11, Sybase or EnterpriseDB show a deficit of scalability, reliability, performance and flexibility for SQLServer.

So much for continued Microsoft crass hype.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like