back to article Red Hat bets on 'Project Atomic' for its container-loaded server future

Red Hat has put its Linux operating system on a diet to create a scrappy technology that will take on traditional virtualization approaches such as those backed by VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix. "Project Atomic" was announced by Red Hat at its eponymous Summit in San Francisco on Tuesday, marking another step in Red Hat's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Denarius
    Meh

Alas poor Sun, I knew him well Horatio

Sensible move by RH. Lets hope their hell desk support improves if my bitter experience is any guide so that the buyers will put hands in wallets instead of roll their own or buy Solaris.. Also shows Sun had an excellent concept and IMHO, a good implementation of containers. ZFS helped, but BTRFS seems a likely equivalent for Linux. Now lets see a resource and power use comparison after scaling for different chippery between AIX virtualisation, SPARC Solaris, X64 Solaris and linux distro of choice using containers for 1000 Apache instances serving 5000 static web pages each. Compare with VMs doing same. Or is this futile as ARM stuff beating everyone on efficient power use. Yes, Intel have some excellent power efficiencies coming, but is it being marketed in servers yet ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this is why Red Hat imposed systemd on the linux ecosystem. Meager gains paid with blackboxifying and rigidifying our systems. I can imagine someone at red hat was grinning madly as he saw all those blind zealots embracing an infrastructure component that has been designed to metastasize through everything and put control in red hats hands, not administrators.

3. Denarius
    Unhappy

no worse than the curse

of XML replacing simple text config files. UDEV also drives me crazy when hardware gets replaced after lightning strikes. Oh for the simple days when hardware just got probed at boot and config files could be read by humans. Sun beat RH there too. One distro has resisted the obstufication movement, SlackWare. Have to try it one day when the local excuse for a network gets above 8KB/sec again. NBN, the best ghost national network never built.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the added value

Over directly using LXC? All the features described in this article can be done already. Why would we want another product doing the same thing?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: What's the added value

"Why would we want another product doing the same thing?"

I take it you're new to this capitalist market ideology?

5. Jim 59

Docker

I am struggling to see the difference between this and other lightweight containers, eg Solaris zones.

6. pyite

ZZZZ -- Virtuozzo did this 10+ years ago

OpenVZ is fantastic at this, I've been using it for quite awhile. LXC isn't quite ready for prime time compared to what OpenVZ can -- if only their kernel patches weren't so difficult to integrate.

The area where Docker can help is making generic distros boot under containers. Due to the different boot environment, this can be painful. Upstart-based distros like Ubuntu are practically unusable in containers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like