back to article You use Office 365, SQL Server or Azure, right? Great, you're invited to Microsoft's data insights

Microsoft UK invites you to attend Accelerate Your Insights, a free-of-charge all-day event at Thames Valley Park, Reading, on 1 May, where you can learn more about Microsoft Office 365, SQL Server and Azure. It’s being streamed, too, so you can attend as a “virtual delegate”. The Register is a media partner of Microsoft and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Re: "You use Office 365, SQL Server or Azure, right?"

Wrong.

Fuck off, microsoft.

1. h4rm0ny

Actually, I do use Office 365 and Azure. I quite like them. They're both very good services. If you're not interested, then perhaps don't click on posts which are an invitation to a MS event about them.

2. hplasm
    Meh

There are a lot of these MS 'Insights'

Do they all end with "Exit through the bridge shop"?

3. alain williams Silver badge

Will they cover their NSA links ?

Ie how long it takes them to forward a copy of all your documents and spreadsheets to the NSA for analysis ? This is not just about personal data but also loss of commercial secrets to the USA.

If someone goes: please ask the questions and let us know what they say.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Will they cover their NSA links ?

Probably the same as Google and Apple and any other US corporation says, no?

4. Noddy465

"You use Office 365, SQL Server or Azure, right?"

I used to. On several trips abroad, Broadband was either not available, or companies refused to allow me access (stating security reasons). Fortunately, I had Office 2010 on laptop and filed backed up on a stick. Good job I didn't rely on MS.

1. h4rm0ny

Office 365 is actually just the subscription model. I think you have it confused with their free "Office Online". If you have a subscription to Office 365 you get both an installable version and you can use the online version. Office 365.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Mushroom

The thing that gets most people is just that, 'A Subscription Model'.

Stop paying and bang goes access to your documents. S*D that for a game of soldiers.

Mind you MS is not the only ones. Adobe can rot in hell before I'll take out a subscription to Photoshop. I'd rather spend my money on Lenses etc.

So for everything that requires a subscription or else it stops working ---> Eat this me hearties.

1. h4rm0ny

>>The thing that gets most people is just that, 'A Subscription Model'.

They haven't stopped selling perpetual licences, either personally or for enterprise. I personally like the subscription model because it's perpetual updates and they throw in enough extras such as online storage, installability to five devices (from iPad to Desktop) that I find it well worth it. But the old sales model is still there so adding a new choice is okay.

>>"Stop paying and bang goes access to your documents. S*D that for a game of soldiers.

I don't know where you got that from, but this is not the case. Whether you pay for Office 2013 via subscription or a one-time cost, they both use the same document formats and you can save them to anywhere you like. It makes as much sense as saying if you uninstall Office, your documents are "bang, gone". Well no - you still have them, and if you've decided you're not going to use MS Office ever again, you can always save them as ODF (or set that as your default from the start when it asks you which you want on install). Heck, you can even just install LibreOffice and open them in that even if they are OOXML. LibreOffice have done a stirling job at supporting MS formats. But the point is, none of this has anything to do with Office 365. You don't lose access to your documents when you lapse your subscription. If you're somehow confusing this with Cloud storage, well that's no different than if you rented hosted space and didn't remove your documents from that after stopping paying for the service. It's not like you miss a payment and your files get deleted, or you're ever stopped from copying them off there.

Anyway, the person I replied to was saying that you couldn't access your documents offline with Office 365. I'm making a guess that they were thinking of Office Web Apps (now called Office Online) which is the competitor to Google Docs. But whatever, they weren't correct about Office 365 - that's just payment by subscription, plus some extras.

5. IJC
    Mushroom

Anti MS Bias

Why the hell do these anti MS idiots want to comment on a free session for MS users?

And why the hell do they down vote factual statements?

I suppose their little lives must be so sad, having the rest of the world ignore their so superior solutions, my heart just bleeds for them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like