back to article US biz spaffed more dosh on internet ads than TV spots in 2013

Advertisers in the United States have splashed more of their ad budgets all over the web than on the telly for the first time ever, the Interactive Advertising Bureau reported. Growth of internet advertising revenue to 2013 Read 'em and weep TELEVISION - growth of internet advertising revenue to 2013. Credit: IAB/PwC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

But ... but ... but ...

I don't actually see any adverts online. Ever. I don't see adverts on telly, either. MythTV is a godsend. Likewise, the button on the dash muting the radio broadcast for two minutes kills the idiocy of baseball advertising.

Aren't filters wonderful?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But ... but ... but ...

Her lisp turns ME on!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But ... but ... but ...

Bit modern for you jake - shouldn't your Sun 3/470 be downloading the listings over a 75 baud SLIP connection and then programming some form of Mechanical Turk to turn down the dial on your RCA Victor model 721T whenever the ads come on?

1. jake Silver badge

@ Andrew Fernie (was: Re: But ... but ... but ...)

My 3/470 "Pegasus" has been T1 connected since roughly 1988. Old and slow? Yes. But it works for my "friends & family" userbase quite nicely. Just as it did back in the day. (Runs email, ftp, Usenet, IRC, Gopher and the johnnycomelately WWW.)

I updated my last SLIP connection to something more modern when I stopped supporting UUCP in late 1999. Was (and is!) primarily a charity email link, with a proprietary Usenet messaging system.

I do, actually, listen to ballgames on a Philco tube (valve) radio when I'm up at my place in Fort Bragg. It's kinda nice, because it's the same radio that my grandfather introduced me to the SF Giants when I were a nipper in the late '50s/early '60s. Nowt wrong wi' nostalgia.

Why do people like you automatically assume that something that has been working nicely for decades is bad, simply because it isn't usable with your iFad/FanDroid, as configured by the factory?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Reaching and engaging audiences"

My thought re: this news was on mobile devices - or any computer - assuming a large majority who don't know or even care about turning off ads - the difference is their getting you 'off guard'; when you're trying to do something else and both more likely to be simultaneously annoyed by it and to take the message on board by dint of not having your bullshit-spotting head on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Reaching and engaging audiences"

Sounds like it's time that ad-blocking on mobile reached the same maturity that it is on TV and desktop.

Of course people want free services and ads are the only way so far we've found to fund them. Pity that websites don't stop serving adverts once they've earnt enough to pay for the service.

3. ADJB

25% wasted

"Retail firms continue to be the big spenders on web ads, buying a fifth of the year's total, while financial services companies bought 13 per cent of the ads and the auto industry ran a close third with 12 per cent."

I might buy a DVD off the t'internet but no way would I consider banking with Bank of Uganda or buying a car from a website advert.Those are the sort of things that need a bit more than a sidebar ad before I look at them. That means 25% of the adverts I don't see are wasted on me.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: 25% wasted

I might buy a DVD off the t'internet but no way would I consider banking with Bank of Uganda or buying a car from a website advert.

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that a big-ticket purchase such as a car is going to be bought solely on the strength of a banner ad. However, if it creates awareness that might possibly cause an option onto the short list when otherwise it wouldn't.

As a simple example I just typed in "two seater convertible under £20,000" in to Google. I got three adverts above the main results, mentioning the Mini convertible, the Audi Cabriolet Range and the Citroën DS3 Convertible. If I'm entering that specific search there's a very good chance I'm considering a purchase, even if it's only an idle day dream at that point. Getting those names into my mind is worth money to the advertiser, even if I never even click through on those ads, since there's some kind of awareness of them created as I conduct my research. After all, I can't buy a particular model of car if I don't know that it exists.

4. jb99

"Spaffed more dosh"

Seriously?

I'll come back to reading this site when they learn to write actual English.

5. PAT MCCLUNG

Clerk

ALL the advertising revenue, web, TV and print is on the order of $100 billion. So, with more market entrants, the revenue growth of companies who depend primarily on advertising revenue has GOT to "S". Think about it.

6. securtiy

I actually dont see ads online either, I completely ignore them, blend them out, and if I do notice them, I automatically build up an aversion to that company.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like