back to article Astronomers spot hint of first EXOMOON, possibly

Thanks to the work of the Kepler space telescope and Earth-bound observations, we have now caught sight of nearly 2,000 exoplanets: planetary bodies orbiting distant stars. But now astronomers think they've caught the first sighting of an exomoon orbiting one of these distant planets. Planetary moons are relatively common in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stucs201

That's no moon...

...oh, wait, it might be.

1. Peter G Green

Re: That's no moon...

Damn, beat me to it :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's no moon...

a "that's no moon" post on a Register article like this one is the equivalent of a FRIST post on that other geeky site.

(pouting, because I didn't get to post it).

2. MrDamage Silver badge

If they looked closely enough

Would they see a few Eagles parked on it's surface, being maintained by people with dodgy hair and flared trousers?

1. Yugguy

Re: If they looked closely enough

I loved that program SO MUCH.

I had the Eagle Transporter model toy. Best spaceship EVAR!!!11!!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: If they looked closely enough

I had that model too, I wish I knew what happened to it. Lost in the mists of garage sales :'-(

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Exomoons are as unlikely as exoplanets.

If you have enough debris to make a planet, either impacts or capture is inevitable.

4. defiler
    Coat

Maybe it's Endor

We're the E-E-E-E-Ewoks!

Yep - I'll grab my coat.

1. WraithCadmus
      Devil

Re: Maybe it's Endor

I'd have to say no, Endor is (by all known records) in a galaxy far, far away...

5. Telecide

near or far

"This could either be a distant, slow-moving small star circled by a planet about 18 times as big as Earth, or a fast-moving planet relatively closer to Earth that's three or four times larger than Jupiter, with a moon significantly smaller than our planet."

So how do the boffins confirm which scenario is the real one? Redshift?

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Staggering.

Look at the pace this technology has advanced.

From "maybe we might find an exo planet or two" to "we think it's an exo moon."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pics or it didn't happen

The discovery of exoplanets really is right up there will the very coolest of stuff. For me at least, it's a new frontier of astronomy. In the distant future, I think it has the potential to be an inspiring 'moment' for humanity. In time, I'm sure there will be some kind of hypertelescope that will produce an image of a relatively close exo-earth. When the general population can see a pic of clouds, and I dunno, maybe sea and land, then I reckon that's a moment that seriously will change attitudes for everyone. Like the moon landings, or the discovery of beer.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Pics or it didn't happen

Sea? Land?

Strings of lights at night. That's when it will get really interesting.

8. Scroticus Canis
    Facepalm

Wow, something orbiting something bigger in spaaaaaace...

.. how unusual. Who would have thought that would happen? Doh!

Leaving out the primary body, we have something 18 times bigger than Earth or something "significantly smaller than our planet". Got to love that degree of accuracy. How did they rule out all the intermediate sizes.

Didn't they get enough spectroscopic data to distinguish between a star or planet as the primary body?

Can't believe that this merits being published or even an El reg article.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Re: Wow, something orbiting something bigger in spaaaaaace...

Within an order of magnitude is usually tolerable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like