back to article Uh oh! Here comes the first bug in the Windows 8.1 Update

Microsoft has suspended distribution of April's Windows 8.1 Update to some enterprise customers after a bug was discovered that could bork affected machines' ability to receive future updates. The issue affects businesses that distribute software updates via Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 Service Pack 2, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

micro$oft havent got a fucking clue

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: lol

In 2013 MS had a net income of 21 Billion dollars.

How much did you earn ?

Now who hasn't got a clue ?

Unless of course you know about some another, for the moment unknown OS that doesn't require updates and that works perfectly everytime. Please share the secret with the rest of us.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MICRO$~1 net income ..

@Khaptain: "In 2013 MS had a net income of 21 Billion dollars"

@aqk: "No doubt this one will make the Reggie's "Most Read" or "Most commented" shortly! With of course, the de rigeur (and incredibly witty) dollar-$ign in the usual places."

How much of this do MICRO$~1 spend on testing the software?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

Re: MICRO$~1 net income ..

How much of this do MICRO$~1 spend on testing the software?

More than any Linux vendor spent testing OpenSSL?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: MICRO$~1 net income ..

Your making my Heart Bleed.......

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"In 2013 MS had a net income of 21 Billion dollars."

That shows they are good at taking money from suckers like you, for software that doesn't fully work.

People like you, who have been conditioned into thinking poorly working software is acceptable, even though you've been repeatedly paying for it for the last two decades.

If you asked for a black coffee, and got white.. would you take it back and complain? What about if you found a toe nail in your Big Mac? Your wheel fell off after buying a new tyre? Your Amazon order arrived late/damaged?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>That shows they are good at taking money from suckers like you, for software that doesn't fully work.

MS, Apple, IBM , Canonical, Red Hat etc are business that make money from "suckers"... All of them produce software and their corresponding updates, so by your standards we shouldn't use anything that comes from any one them. They are all in the money making game.

Which company do you use that does not require payment for their services and is also capable of producing business/enterprise class software that has no bugs?

Please add some details to your ranting.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Which company do you use that does not require payment for their services and is also capable of producing business/enterprise class software that has no bugs?"

It wasn't a "my provider is better than yours" rant. In fact, Microsoft has always been my main vendor. With the money that I have thrown at them, it gives me a right to bitch about how shit they are!

So unlike you MS fanatics on here, who blindly agree and support anything MS do without consideration - I knowingly get shafted.

"Please add some details to your ranting."

Where do I start, ... ?

1. SumDood

>"Please add some details to your ranting."

>Where do I start, ... ?

That's something you should have thought more carefully about before ranting.

3. Nameless Faceless Computer User

The ability to develop software and the aptitude to sell software belong to two different skill sets.

4. Anonymous Bullard

"In 2013 MS had a net income of 21 Billion dollars"

MS are great because they extract the most money from us?? God, you sound like an Apple fan.

5. Euripides Pants
        Linux

"Unless of course you know about some another, for the moment unknown OS that doesn't require updates and that works perfectly everytime. Please share the secret with the rest of us."

Bloody Stupid Linux

http://clockwatching.net/~fin/bsl/

Because functional is boring...

2. SumDood

"micro$oft havent got a fucking clue"

You clearly have no significant understanding of software.

You've probably never written a substantial piece of software in your life.

You don't understand anything about software testing or complexity.

You might, possibly, believe the Fairy Dust story about software peddled to ignorant acolytes by Apple (whose own software is amongst the lower levels of reliability and whose approach to bug announcement and fixing is laughably babyish in the corporate world. I'm talking about the GUI, here, which is pretty much all that Apple write themselves: the rest - the substantial / robust part - is bought or is Unix).

Here's an idea. Learn about writing a program, go away and write one of more than 100 lines and then come back and tell us about it in a year or two. Show us your code, test plans, results. You don't even have to try designing it yourself, just start with someone else's design.

Then, if you've got the b*lls, say to us, 'Sorry, I now realise I was talking out of my arse and had no idea about software. At least I now understand a tiny bit of just how much I don't know.'

Just a suggestion for self-improvement. Please feel free to ignore it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You clearly have no significant understanding of software.

You've probably never written a substantial piece of software in your life.

You don't understand anything about software testing or complexity."

This wasn't a coding error, it wasn't complex either, just dumb.

MS switched TLS to a version not currently used by their own software update system.

They're idiots, they did the equivilent of putting super un-leaded in their _clients_ diesel cars as they thought it was a better drive than the usual fill-up.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. masterofobvious

Installed it, can't say I noticed the difference though... just the shutdown icon..

4. aqk
    Trollface

And all the pantless weasels here are..

Rejoicing!

"Nya nya! I told you that crappy ol' M$ was no good! Why didn't you get a cool linux system or a Mac like I did?"

No doubt this one will make the Reggie's "Most Read" or "Most commented" shortly!

With of course, the de rigeur (and incredibly witty) dollar-$ign in the usual places.

Nice to be among the weenie-boppers. Let's see how many down-votes I can accumulate here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: And all the pantless weasels here are..

"Let's see how many down-votes I can accumulate here."

From me zero...ZzZzZzZz

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 8? Enterprise customers? Don't make me PMSL

1. SumDood

"Windows 8? Enterprise customers? Don't make me PMSL"

Sorry, pre-menstrual syndrome /what/?

6. Len Goddard

Not just enterprise customers

A friend of mine silly enough to be using 8.1 has had a similar failure with Home Premium. Google suggests he is not alone.

1. Chairo
      Devil

Re: Not just enterprise customers

Did he migrate from XP to Windows 8 to receive security updates? Irony, oh irony...

2. El Andy

Re: Not just enterprise customers

Why is your friend using WSUS with Windows 8 Home. I mean i assume he must be since that's not only the only way he could possibly be affected by this bug, but also the only way he could have noticed that the client had stopped reporting in to WSUS.

7. Tezfair
    Facepalm

I think I have found the 2nd bug

Installed 8.1.1 last night and today all my printing is in reverse

1. Anonymous Bullard
      Coat

Re: I think I have found the 2nd bug

So you feed in a printout, and it comes out blank?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I think I have found the 2nd bug

No op means his printer has turned into a scanner?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So when will they be releasing Windows 9?!

F##k up after f#k up ...they'll just abandon windows 8 soon!

9. VinceH

"Microsoft has suspended distribution of April's Windows 8.1 Update to some enterprise customers after a bug was discovered that could bork affected machines' ability to receive future updates."

It turns Windows 8 into Windows XP?

Quick! Everyone get it NOW!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Small incidence in the wild?

Honestly, if your company is big enough to be using WSUS I'd hope they're also sensible enough to not be deploying 8.1 Update for at least a week or four?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Small incidence in the wild?

or 156

2. PepperdotNet

Re: Small incidence in the wild?

Incorrect assumptions.

Anyone who has more than a couple of machines running the same OS and MS software can benefit from having a local WSUS.

Also, I already deployed the Win8.1 Update on my company's WSUS and all our Win8.1 are fully up to date. Granted, none of them are on users' desks yet, just in the test lab.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People still don't learn their lessons regarding Microsoft

1) Never be an early adopter of Microsoft products.

2) Never do automatic updates.

3) Avoid Windows 8 in all forms.

1. aqk
      Terminator

Re: People still don't learn their lessons from Win-haters

No doubt you chattered this wisdom way back when, with regard to Win7, Vista (OK, this one WAS indeed a dog), Win-XP and Win2K.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose - referring to YOU, of course, not Windows.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like