back to article Amazon carefully stitches up Heartbleed OpenSSL hole

Amazon is working to patch "Heartbleed" memory-leak vulnerablities in its Amazon Web Services hosting infrastructure. The mammoth cloud company confirmed on Tuesday that it has dealt with some of the parts of its infrastructure that were vulnerable to the nasty OpenSSL 1.0.1 bug nicknamed "Heartbleed" that was disclosed on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This was "in the wild"

for 2 years, yet mere weeks after Snowden announces, Google have the answer to their NSA problem.

s'a bit fishy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This didn't occur to me immediately

But anyone using OpenSSL based software needs to update. This doesn't just include servers, but anyone using things such as OpenVPN clients on Windows etc...

1. Tim 11

Re: This didn't occur to me immediately

True, but it only affects the client if you connect to a compromised server. So any attacker would have to have either compromised the server or lure you to a fake server, in which case this vulnerability is probably the least of your problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The server is vulnerable.

2. No, I will not fix your computer
        Boffin

>>but it only affects the client if you connect to a compromised server.

Not exactly, and you may not even be able to detect if a server had been "compromised" - say for example the private keys had been copied off, it probably hasn't left any footprint.

Also, if someone had captured the traffic between a client and a server and then retrieves the private key the entire conversation is open to subsequent disclosure (which would probably include authentication details).

If you have a network capture then get the keys you have the content, if you get the keys then have access to (or create/redirect to) a transparent proxy (which is far easier than you may expect) then you have the content.

So, the safest option is to immediately shut down, reset all your authentication details, upgrade, generate new certificates, restart, note, don't make the same mistake as many and just generate new certificates from the old keys, generate new keys as well (i.e. don't use the same CSR).

The thing is with this one is that millions of servers could have been harvested for keys for months/years, with those keys they could have been snooping at the contents (such as passwords) for months/years, how often do you change your (supposedly secure) credentials? securing the sites won't change the fact they have your credentials - I'd suggest changing Amazon etc. passwords ASAP.

3. malcolmus_rex

Could heartbleed be in any way related to the windigo botnet?

I'm just wondering, could the heartbleed bug, and it's discovery, be in any way related to the discovery of the windigo botnet?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/18/windigo_unix_botnet/

This was a botnet of linux/unix servers, where hackers gained access to ssh credentials and installed nefarious versions of ssh... but how did the hackers get access???

Any thoughts anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could heartbleed be in any way related to the windigo botnet?

SSH != SSL

1. No, I will not fix your computer
        Boffin

>>SSH != SSL

OpenSSH (which comes as standard with many vendor supplied OS's) uses part of OpenSSL (specifically libcrypto) however, OpenSSH doesn't use TLS for it's sessions (unlike HTTPS, which TLS is one option and within that TLS heartbeat is optional).

So while some versions of SSH can use bits of crypto from OpenSSL, the actual transport itself (the vulnerable bit) is pure OpenSSL TLS heartbeat.

1. malcolmus_rex

Thanks, it was just a thought. I knew ssh (ok OpenSSH to be specific) used libcrypto from OpenSLL, but not the details of which bits.

4. Quotes
    Big Brother

Perfect Forward Secrecy

Yahoo! users have the most to be concerned about because when they recently announced they were moving services over to HTTPS they also said they weren't going to use Perfect Forward Secrecy.

However the likes of Google and Twitter have already adopted the principle of PFS in their security policies. If perfect forward secrecy is used and an encryption key is revealed then that is as far as it goes. It doesn't expose all the previous encrypted traffic. However, without it - Yahoo! style - you only need to prise it open once and you get the key to the kingdom.

More info on the Google/Twitter announcements at www.forwardsecrecy.com

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yahoo and Perfect Forward Secrecy

Assuming you are talking about Yahoo's punter - facing websites that is exactly wrong as they are using PFS.

There was a big announcement about it just the other day, you can go to one of their web pages and check for yourself.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like