back to article Sun looks beyond MARS for NetBeans scripting

PHP is the latest language getting the NetBeans treatment, with a PHP version of Sun Microsystems' open-source environment hitting early access today. Built on the same generic scripting framework that Sun used for Ruby, the NetBeans PHP bundle includes project management tools with refactoring and code completion to ease …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. E

IDEs

Slickedit = best IDE.

vi = best non-IDE.

You need know nothing else.

3. Daniel B.
    Boffin

You'll pry vi from my cold, dead hands

Best phrase ever. :)

I have my own preferences over the debacle:

Java = Netbeans.

C/C++/PHP = Emacs (if I have an X session available)

C/C++/PHP = vi/vim (in every other case)

I find some Emacs features interesting, but vi's one-key commands are easier to learn than the weird ctrl-M-M-Ctrl-something weird key combinations to get stuff done. So graphical mode usually is Emacs, but in CLI mode vi wins hands down.

Oh, and for anything else that isn't code, VI all the way!

4. Kevin Hutchinson
    Thumb Up

My take on NetBeans

On my 6-month-old black MacBook with 2GB RAM NetBeans 6.1 starts in 13 seconds, whereas my all-time favourite editor vim starts in under 0.1 seconds. But I'm definitely more impressed by NetBeans than Eclipse, which seems to be a perplexing collection of bells and whistles that I can't work out for the life of me. I'm so glad Sun is finally waking up to the reality that the world is using JavaScript, Ruby, Perl, PHP, Python, etc - and Java is no panacea. In fact the JavaScript help in NetBeans is quite something to behold! See http://wiki.netbeans.org/JavaScript

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

IDEntity Parade

Ah yes, IDEs - everything the vendor wants, and nothing but obstruction for the experienced developer.

Most of the IDEs I've used have been rubbish. I spent a lot of time at one company trying to avoid using the tool that we were supposed to be developing.

I settled on vim a long time ago as my editor of all things, partly because it works the same on all the platforms I use, but also because it doesn't torture my hands with complex control and meta key bindings. And remapping all the keys in emacs renders redundant my point about an editor working the same everywhere.

Can't say that I have used NetBeans, but I do like Eclipse - it's the IDE that persuaded to stop using vim for my day to day editing tasks at work. And it works the same on all the platforms I use. I am happy to see competition for Eclipse in the free space.

But vim still wins for most things as far as I am concerned.

6. Mark

hmm

I like it how the only editor/IDE that didn't get a link was the one the article was written about.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like