back to article Wookiee! CHEWIE'S BACK in Star Wars Ep VII – blab Hollywood 'sources'

Whispers surrounding the mysterious newest instalment of the Star Wars franchise have hinted that actor Peter Mayhew may be onboard to reprise his role as Chewbacca. Sources have told The Hollywood Reporter that the world's favourite Wookiee will be back for the new movie, the plot and characters of which have remained fairly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Semtex451

Is the guy responsible for Jar Jar going to Comicpalooza?

I guess it wouldn't be safe.

2. andy gibson

Star Wars partworks

Around the time of Phantom Menace I recall seeing one of those weekly partworks magazines for Star Wars (where the first episode is 99p then jumps up to £4.99, with optional binder at £9.99).

One of them had a timeline for all nine episodes, mentioning that Chewbacca died in ep 7 or 8.

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Re: Star Wars partworks

That series was based on novels, comics and games too. Then Mr Lucas shat over that very rich cannon (which he previously steered and authorised) with the prequels.

The origination of Boba Fett in the comics showed him to be an utter badass (eventually). Then the prequels made him into a clone with dead daddy issues.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Star Wars partworks

Yeah. I reckon they got that decapitation idea from a bad batch of 5.25" figures.

3. Mtech25
    Megaphone

Great the only thing i now need

Is to care about starwars again after the prequels ruined it. What might help is if the phrase Gungan relocation facility is used somewhere.

/fanboy Rant

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

I think you'll find that the familiar face in question is Alexandr Orlov. Yes, this episode is going to be subtitled 'Meerkats in Spaaaaaace!'. Will have great success with meerkat toys! Simples!

Is making memory of Jar Jar much more popular.

Remember, you heard it here first.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Is that Meerkat named after El Reg's Google-baiting, scourge-of-Metro journalist who likes Windows Phone?

Thinking about it, no-one's ever seen them both at the same time. Enquiring minds would like to know...

5. TRT Silver badge

Is the film going to be sponsored by Samsung?

"A long time ago, on a Galaxy far, far away..."

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Is the film going to be sponsored by Samsung?

Well the Phantom Morass was all about a tax dispute. So this latest one can be about a patent lawsuit. And go on-and-on-and-on-and-on...

Darth Jobs: Release your artistic side! For art leads to minimalism - and minimalism leads to the fruity side of the force!

1. TRT Silver badge

"My lord... The banking clans have released a new model of 'droid. It... it... has rounded corners, my lord."

"Nooooooooooo!"

2. beep54

Wait. Episode One had a plot? I can't remember anything much about it except that Jar Jar was annoying, that there was some kinda race that was sorta cool and that bad characters seemed to talk with Russian accents. I completely gave up after that. BTW, I accidentally found out while waiting to get food stamps (an American thing) that it is even WORSE when the sound is turned off. How many things can you say that about?

6. Swarthy

I was discussing this upcoming movie with friends the other day. The over-arching consensus was "Disney can't do too much worse than Lucas did".

This opinion was backed up by a showing of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

7. Elmer Phud

Mr Creosote

"While it's known that the latest instalment will feature a trio of new beautiful young leads,"

'Get me a fucking bucket!'

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Mr Creosote

Dare I ask what a "fucking bucket" looks like, and why you would need one if you have three beautiful young leads?

1. beep54
        Joke

Re: Mr Creosote

Heh, bucket head. Heh...heh, heh! Bucket head!!

8. Lamont Cranston

"one ... will be the offspring of original stars Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker"

You can keep your slashfic, thanks.

9. Steven Raith

These rumour starters....

Don't they realise there are probably other tall people who can make vague arm gestures and tilt their head while dressed in a fur suit?

Most Tenous Link Ever.

1. Justin Stringfellow
      FAIL

Re: These rumour starters....

Peter Mayhew isn't just tall, though, he's a whopping 7'3" which makes him incredibly rare.

Maybe a few tens of thousands of 7 footers on the planet. The ones that can make accurate limb movements get sent to the NBA. The wobbly ones have only got one career - Chewbacca.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
        Coat

Re: These rumour starters....

I'm 6ft 3", but I can get hold of some 1ft heels/baked bean cans.

I can stand in for Mr.Mayhew if needed.

10. i like crisps
    Trollface

WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION....

....to see Chewie with a Zimmer Frame.

1. Aqua Marina

Re: WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION....

No too far off the truth, Peter Mayhew has been unable to walk without the aid of, erm, walking aids for some years now. He might not be too bad if they film him from the waist up, but unfortunatly he isn't in a fit enough state to reprise walking chewie, never mind running.

1. Scott 1

Considering how old Chewie's supposed to be, this might work out better than you think.

1. Steven Raith

Do you really want to see an old Harrison Ford combing the tagnuts out of Chewies matted fur?

Sorry if I just ruined a childhood there....

1. i like crisps
            Happy

that would make for a very touching scene, one man and his Wookie.

2. Allan George Dyer

So how long do wookies live?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Just to be on the safe side...

Anyone seen Shatner lately?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Just to be on the safe side...

HAAANNNN!!!

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

So that's the secret plan is it? Now I understand. In a series reboot Abrams is going to merge the Trek and Wars universes, and take them into a new parallel universe so that he can use the original characters.

In the pllot of this new film Cmdr Data will destroy the Death Star by reversing the neutron flux of the tachyon beam - thus setting up a resonance in the Death Star's dilithium crystals, causing it to explode. Meanwhile Luke will be busy saving the Star Destroyer Enterprise by battling the hordes of tribbles, with only his lightsabre. Lt Uhuru will be getting jiggy with Han Solo (who shoots first).

Darth Spock has been turned by the Emperor, but is saved from his final doom as the Emperor is unable to close the helmet over his ears - so Spock is forced to go to the space burns unit instead for his injuries. After being returned to the planet Vulcan for counselling he becomes a wookie hair-stylist, thus making the wookies considerably less grumpy as a race, and reducing the number of smuggler-pilots in the galaxy.

This creates an opening for Kirk, who therefore wins the contract to fly for Princess Leia - and lay 'er he does...

[that's enough - Ed]

1. beep54
        Trollface

@I ain't Sparticus: Dammit! Now THIS I would get excited about! Look, go convince Cinemax (does it still exist?) that you have the new Game of Thrones.

12. DrXym

Good news

It wouldn't have been the same film with another tall actor of similar build covered head to foot in prosthetics and fur.

13. Robert Grant

This is amazing

Can't wait to see that famous face!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Star wars is popular, i get that. but why does The Reg report on it?

I like these Star Wars updates, keep em coming. But if you are doing films then why not do updates for all the other cool films coming along too? And why stop at Star Wars films, why not branch into all the other Star Wars media whilst you are at it?

1. Magnus Ramage

Cherchez les geeks

Presumably because a high proportion of the readership of El Reg are geeks, many of them old enough to have grown up on the original Star Wars movies at the cinema. (Raises hand.) And just waiting to, ahem, introduce their kids to the new series when they come out.

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Cherchez les geeks

I made sure to inflict Star Wars upon my spawn at an early age (mainly through Lego videogames, they're not all that bothered about the films). Any child who can pick up a long stick and not immediately start making "zumm... wumm" noises, well, that's not childhood at all, in my opinion.

15. Wraith Leader

Why I don't want to see Chewbacca...

According to the EU, Chewbacca is dead. Since Episode 7 is supposed to take place 30+ years after RotJ, and Chewie died about 21 years after RotJ, the only acceptable appearance would be as a flashback.

Disney has a choice to make. They can basically do one of 3 things, if they want Star Wars to continue to be successful. One, ignore the EU of Star Wars content and only accept George Lucas films as canonical. Two, Ignore the George Lucas Prequels and only accept EU content and the original Trilogy as canonical. Three, try to reconcile the EU and Prequel content in some fashion. The third option would be the boldest, and most difficult to pull off, but I think in the end would bring back many to the fold. Personally I hope they go with the second option, and RetCon out all the George Lucas fallacies we find in the Prequels. But I know that is just a fantasy in my own mind. :-)

If they follow down the path of the Prequels, and completely ignore or blatantly contradict (Kashyyyk in the Ep. 3 anyone?) the EU they will likely lose much of the remaining support from fans over the age of about 25.

Just my $.02

1. Fibbles

Re: Why I don't want to see Chewbacca...

Took me a minute to realise you meant 'extended universe'. I was briefly wondering if there was anything those Euro bureaucrats wouldn't legislate.

1. Lamont Cranston

Help me, Mr Farrage,

you're my only hope.

16. Sporkinum

What a Wookie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8RjPW4jsU

17. jai

Let the Wookie win!

18. i like crisps
    Trollface

Dr Bob's medical corner

I wonder if Wookie's suffer with Arthritis?...i mean, he's got to be about 400 in human years!

The only way he can realistically make "an appearance" in the next film is if Han had him stuffed and mounted in a corner of the Millenium Falcon....i suppose that would be a "Cameo Role"?

19. Youngdog

Title is required blah, blah, blah

"offspring of original stars Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker"

So the hero/heroine will be a six-fingered Jedi?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought "that" scene was only in the XXX parody...or have Disney been watching the wrong DvD again....

21. AlanS

Leia and Luke are siblings...

offspring of original stars Han Solo AND Princess Leia, OR Luke Skywalker.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Leia and Luke are siblings...

and in certain states cousins and husband and wife too...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Judging by the Kimmel Show...

Good luck getting Chewbacca and Harrison Ford in the same room...

"She was my WIFE!!!"

This topic is closed for new posts.