back to article Raspberry Pi to serve up bite-sized modules for bulk-buying biz bods

Do you think $30 is too much to pay for a computer? You're in luck, because Raspberry Pi is set to release super small circuit boards for a fraction of the price – although they'll need to be plugged into a custom motherboard. Their small size – 67.6mm x 30mm – makes them ideal for consumer electronics and sensor devices – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. d3rrial

Correction:

Not $30 for 100 pieces, that'd be ridiculous,

it's a $30 price per piece if you take 100 pieces or more (bulk price).

2. chris 143

didn't you already post this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/07/raspberry_pi_compute_module/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know...

Right back to the 1980s and processor boards plugged into backplanes.

Who will be the first to build a blade cluster of these things? An 8-way cluster of them with full virtualisation that fits into a 100mm cube would be an interesting technology demonstration, if nothing else.

1. Arnold Lieberman
      WTF?

Re: I don't know...

...nothing else indeed. It'd be like bolting 10 Nissan Micras together to give the same number of seats as a coach.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: I don't know...

This could provide a cheap way for students to learn MPI computing, although you can run MPI on a shared-memory architecture (but without same the penalty of communication overhead as in clusters). Using a "nano-cluster" like this you can have student mess about without interfering with the workloads of the big "production" clusters of the university, or, as the students see it, without production work interfering with their projects.

4. kmac499

Blighty Based Ingenuity strikes again.

You can't help thinking that when Google shelled out a few beelliion for a thermostat company, (that also makes auto switch-off smoke alarms). What the R-PI foundation and it's community\fanbase have acheived on a shoestring is truly awesome.

Imagine the job interview in a couple of years time.

Q So you want to work on our embedded vending\alarm\info\control etc system. What's your experience..

A 5 years playing with an R-Pi in my bedroom here's my git account portfolio

Q When can you start...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for small volume runs, but too expensive / big for larger consumer products.

If only all the makers of things like this could agree on a standard connector and pin-out...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like