back to article 'Graceful' solar flare erupts from surface of Sun – NASA vid

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory has released a video of a "graceful" solar flare erupting out of the Sun's surface on 2 April. Youtube Video The flare shows up on the Sun as sudden swirls of brightness, indicating the bursts of radiation in an M6.5 class eruption. "“The image shows the flare in a blend of two wavelengths …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

Great footage

A lot of interesting activity has been visible on the sun the last few weeks. Great to watch either on various web-sites, and even better with a solar scope.

The websites like GONG (http://halpha.nso.edu/) and the like are ideal for those without solar scopes, and/or with British weather.

2. Semtex451

Nice to see Angstroms get an airing now and again. I'd use them more often if I could get the circle to stay on the A long enough.

3. splodge

How many Angstroms to the Brontosaurus?

1. Semtex451

1.8 buses from memory

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

I forgot

Oh shit!

When did they introduce the memory bus?

2. AbelSoul

How many Angstroms to the Brontosaurus?

An Olympic swimming pool the size of Wales.

4. All names Taken
    Alien

A brontosaurus the size of a Whale?

5. Roger Stenning

I did like

the music. Sounded like something from a movie. Any ideas as to what it was?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: I did like

Something we both slept through?

Hence, the inability to recall its name.

6. JCitizen
    Mushroom

Yup!...

That explains the disruption of our local internet alright! It wasn't an "April Fools" after all!

7. Fizzle

Hot flushes

Those flairy fings prolly explain the hot flushes I get. That last "whoosh" was particularly big 'cos 8½ minutes later I had a hot flush. At least I now know not to trust my GP. Menopause indeed; solar flairs frying me vitals more like!

1. Tom 11

Re: Hot flushes

So you telling me it was the Heliopause instead?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like