back to article SQL giant Oracle plans NoSQL standards body – top Reg sources

Database giant Oracle is attempting to create a NoSQL standards body, The Register has learned. The puzzling move was disclosed to El Reg on Friday by multiple well-placed sources at multiple database companies, who were each familiar with the matter. The insiders, speaking on condition of anonymity, say relational database …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Oninoshiko

O.O

You guys ARE aware it's past the first, right?

2. G Mac

Keep your friends close...

... etc

3. -tim
    IT Angle

A solution to a modern IT problem

The main IT problem is how do you maintain all the licenses needed.

Are modern programmers starting to understand they can open a cached file, move its entire contents into L1 cache, sequentially parse and scan it, find the last record in the time it takes to do the TCP connection to the localhost address? You can do either about about a billion times in the time it takes to pick up the phone and get Oracle support telling you are now on hold.

There are things that used to need a database with its associated indexes but I don't know how many times I've seen full on licensed databases used to store data that will fit in one modern 4k disk block.

4. Tim99 Silver badge
    Coat

From experience

...(developing with Oracle since V4) I can tell you ... It's a trap!

5. Steve Knox
    WTF?

Standards!?

The emphasis of the standards body will be on go-to-market strategies, marketing, promotion and further commercialization of the technology rather than defining technical specifics, we understand.

What strange usage of the term "standards body" is this? Sounds more like a sales team.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Standards!?

Agreed; or some sort of Marketing hit squad. One from the MS Embrace-Extend-Extinguish playbook, perhaps?

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Oracle taking a lesson from Microsoft

They clearly see the various NoSql startups a threat to their main earner.

So...

They are trying to Embrace the other NoSql vendors. Then they will add bits to this standard that only they can implement (just like MS did with the ISO Office doc standard).

Then as the various NoSql vendors start to struggle, they will pick them off for a pittance.

Embrace

Extend

Extingish.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle NoSQL

Having worked in the badly titled "NoSQL" domain for some time, I've heard of nobody using Oracle NoSQL. They're neither qualified to "lead" any standards body in that domain, nor do their past record of participation in standardisation bode well for the domain.

Don't touch with a barge pole

8. John Styles

In days gone by..

... the general rule was that the number 2 vendor in any field was the one who would be enthusiastic about pushing standards.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ef Oracle

The letter "f" for the four letter word that begins with it.

1. southpacificpom
      Holmes

Re: Ef Oracle

Fair

Fool

Fate

No, sorry I give up...

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Don't do it! It's a

To win, you must first lure your enemy onto fatal terrain - paraphrasing Sun Tzu. All the items in the article are Oracle's strengths and the weaknesses of many a start-up, although the start-ups can surprise you. So, ask yourselves [again and again] what does Oracle get out of this?

12. southpacificpom
    Devil

NoSQL

Isn't that what Oracle ended up with when they took control of MySQL?

They have this habit of making everything they touch turn to gold.......NOT!

13. LordHighFixer

The funniest part is..

That people are turning to these alternate data base formats to get away from anything Oracle controlled. They would still be tuning, tweaking, and optimizing MySQL for their purposes had Oracle not been involved with it. I imaging is scares the flying monkies right out of them realizing that they are no longer the only game in town.

14. DJ

The Alternative Factor

Perhaps it's a scheme to attract sticker-shocked MS SQL Server firms.

If they don't, someone else certainly will.

And should.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like