back to article El Reg visits Hyderaspace and sees bullocks, giant rabbits

Hitec City in Hyderabad is the home of Satyam, one of India’s top four IT players, and hosts offices for a raft of other Indian and international tech companies. It used to be a rocky wasteland on the edge of the city that Hyderabadis were afraid to go to – they feared you could be murdered and your body never seen again. Now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

But still....

Remember this a place where people do the same job (including its quality) as yours for a fraction of the cost.

2. Will
    Thumb Up

Good luck to them

I spend Easter in New Delhi and from seeing what a lot of people have (some of the worst poverty in the world) good bloody luck to them being able to kick start their economy and join the rest of the 'first' world.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Who needs IT anyway, we sell houses :)

Including its quality.... I suppose if your used to crap, then carap is fine NTL/BT etc....

But yeah TBH who cares, they are now moving managers there, and coupled with no UK new skills in Hi-tech they deserve it. Like I say to my kids, dont get into IT or youll end up earning peanuts, get into a job that requires you to be in the country, near people.

And thats not business either as thats all moved away, so doctor,lawyer,plumber and to a certain extent accountant.

Mumbai..Shanghai..or Goodbye....

4. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Nice pictures

1 - "...Call 007 SHANTY TOWN"...? Were the rude boys wailin' a' shanty town?

2 - That lawn had a sign identifying the "Safe Zone". Was that marking the "keep off the grass" area or the "keep away from the exits" area?

3 - That rabbit has a door in his butt...

The thought that someone has to occasionally open that door and reach into the giant rabbit's ass is just creepy.

...and not in a good way.

5. Mad Hacker
    Coat

Safe Zone?

I assume the Safe Zone sign indicates no free roaming giant rabbits in the area?

6. Michael O'Malley

The Wild East

Speaking as a luser, there are so many cowboys in the IT industry, it's time the Indians got a chance.

7. IR

20 years

Give them 20 years and they'll all be middle class, complaining about immigrants and foreigners stealing their jobs. It is already happening in China!

8. Aditya Krishnan
    Paris Hilton

hmm

What were you doing down in my neck of the woods anyway? oh and by the way if you're down here then you really should go visit Montgomery's Bar... legend has it that Mountbatten himself downed a few there. Although the beer is nothing like what you get in your country.

And if you think the rabbits were weird you should see the penguins.

Paris - cos it's only a matter of time before somebody's reaching into her ass

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Use Me

That rabbit would have been a "Use Me"

That's a litter bin, to you, but because they tend to have the words 'use me' painted on them they have become known as use-mes. You know, like Hoovers. Well, ok, not like hoovers but...

This has been a glimpse into the world of Indian English.

I'm not sure, by the way, that the Indian Boom isn't over already. It has certianly lost a lot of its shine recently, just as my savings invested in Indian stocks lost all their previously-pleasing appreciation of the past year or so. Inflation is rising, the price of basic food items is rising even higher. None of this IT (etc) boom has anything to do, or any benefit for, a huge majority of rural poor who just might, one day, decide they have ha enough --- and I wouldn't like to be in the path of their march when that happens.

India is great. But...

10. Graham Bartlett

@Thad

In that case, Lewis Carroll would indeed have been proud, given that part of "Alice in Wonderland" features items labelled "Eat me" and "Drink me". The idea of a door in a giant white rabbit's backside being labelled "Use me" is about as strange as it gets!

11. Insane Crack
    Flame

tsck tsck tsck...

...having naked massages to avoid work and then crying foul for the hardworking people.. grapes are really getting sour...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

11 Comments

I'm often amazed at how little interest the rest of the world has in India!

13. janu
    Thumb Down

India

There we go again.. typical 'first' world chauvinist b rits with a lot of arrogance and little desire to work hard poking fun at upcoming Indians.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Now now now

Who is talking here, if the service is that bad why the jobs are still moving there? who was not crying foul 100 years back when industrial revolution was bringing jobs here and 25 trillion were stolen

Now who is being a big looser, the writer can only see cows, what is he proud off...i Hope its not NHS,

or giant manufacturing industry, what someone nicked it??...ooooh so sorry...

blame it on French otherwise, or Germans?? :)

15. lglethal Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Lived in Hyderabad

It's a fun city, people are friendly, just stay the hell of the roads. I mean that literally - stay of the roads - dont even try to cross them! Your taking your life in your hands!

Hyderabad is still very much a growing city - it may have a population somewhere around 12 million (that was what most of the guesses were when i asked people there how many people live in Hyderabad), construction is everywhere as are the cattle...

16. Ishkandar

It seems to me...

>>>Now with companies like Dell, IBM and Oracle setting up shop here alongside the local players, it’s your tech support calls that are likely to end up there......and never to be seen again !!

@Mike Moyle - The Safe Zones are the lanes outside the mined areas !! They are to prevent the intrusion of the inhabitants of the shanty town !!

@Now now now - That's rich coming from a bunch of environmentally-unfriendly economic saboteurs !! You have your offices air-conditioned and, thereby, burning up tons and tons of fossil fuel and, at the same time, depriving thousands of punkka-wallahs of their livelihoods !! Economic Imperialism, eh, old chap !!

@lglethal - >>just stay the hell of the roads -- Why do you think the Indians were using old Morris Oxford rip-offs for decades ?? Damn near bullet-proof, those old bangers !!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can still recommend IT to your kids..

.. as long as they're smart, intelligent and technical. My job aint going to India, but my testing is going to Belarus. There is always a role for in-house IT, especially as businesses get far more reliant on technology.

Personally, I'm all for tech outsourcing. The cheaper the more mundane IT services (ones which are applicable for remote outsourcing at any rate) can be made, the more money will be available for more bespoke projects. Plus, if the Indians can do the job at the same quality for less money, then who are we to deny them?

AC so I don't get lynched by support staff...

18. V.Srikrishnan
    Thumb Down

I hate to say it...

but whenever the subject of India comes up, it is always with a polite sneer. The usual bellyaching of poor quality work is led by overpriced and now redundant boobies who used to "pull" $150 an hour for their services, driving their Hummers from over 60KM daily. Of course you would need $150 and perhaps a it more too.

It may be well worth remembering that many Indian weavers and artistes lost their livelihood when British started pumping in cheap quality clothes in India during their rule.

Secondly, it irritates me and many Indians to no end to see snide remarks passed as to the contrast of poverty and pockets of wealth. It is worth remembering that it is the British who sucked us dry during 200 years of rule. The Kohinoor diamond is a prime example. Along with any new building or facility is immediately brought a picture of depressing poverty. Suggestions are given as to how to distribute the new found wealth etc. It is to perhaps psychologically disconcert the Indians and give yourselves a mental pull-up and satisfy that you ar still the top dogs. On a recent visit to Minneapolis, I saw a poor grubby dirty man holding a placard saying "will have sex for food" or some such gibberish right outside a nice part of the city, downtown as the american are wont to call it.

So, thank you for the poverty photos but I also have a stock of these, in America and of Americans.

19. Ishkandar

@V.Srikrishnan

Strange you should mention the Kohinoor Diamond !! The Persians (Iranians) still want that back since you stole it from them some time ago along with quite a few other goodies !!

And, of course, we can't have filthy "untouchables" polluting the Holy Shrines of IT, can we ?? What will they think of next ?? Full equality for all ?? Can't have the lower castes rising above their station in life, eh what ??

This topic is closed for new posts.