back to article Sun-seeking NASA boffins steer FLEETS of satellites... BY HAND

Looking for something to test your Star Wars video game skills? How about this: launch four satellites and fly them in eccentric orbits around the Earth. Each satellite is 1km apart from its neighbour, which sounds like a lot of space until you consider that they’re travelling at several kilometres per second during the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rustident Spaceniak
    Headmaster

Calculations...

Just to be pedantic: two weeks over 20 minutes calculates as 14*24*3=1008, which is roughly a hundred thousand per cent improvement, or roughly a thousandfold.

1. danolds

Re: Calculations...

Yeah, should have been 1,000x, not 1,000%....I screwed the pooch on that one....total pooch screw.

2. Ron1

"The same calculations that took two weeks on their traditional systems now take 20 minutes on dual NVIDIA K20s. That’s about a 1,000 per cent improvement by my calculations, which isn’t bad at all."

Ahem, 2 weeks = 20,160 min; this yields ~1,000 fold performance improvement or 100,000 per cent, not 1,000 per cent.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

It's not just the speed up.

It's also how (relatively) minimal the hardware is to get it.

It's basically 2 slots in a PC.

BTW the "zero energy pathways" thing I think refers to passing between 2 orbits in this universe with zero energy expenditure. Roughly the vehicle "rolls downhill" from an orbit around one body to another orbit around another body whose energy level matches.

Upside is no thrust, downside is time is not a parameter so it may well be s-l-o-w.

1. Rich 11

Re: It's not just the speed up.

BTW the "zero energy pathways" thing I think refers to passing between 2 orbits in this universe with zero energy expenditure

Yeah, that's what I thought. An example would be kicking a vehicle just hard enough to take it out of Earth orbit and into a solar orbit which intersects with, say, the future position of Mars. It effectively uses the Sun to fall from Earth to Mars, the trick being to arrive with just the right velocity to insert into Mars orbit.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

@Rich 11

"Yeah, that's what I thought. An example would be kicking a vehicle just hard enough to take it out of Earth orbit and into a solar orbit which intersects with, say, the future position of Mars. It effectively uses the Sun to fall from Earth to Mars, the trick being to arrive with just the right velocity to insert into Mars orbit."

That's my understanding. Finding those exact orbits (in time, altitude and point on orbit for the pulse), and when they recur is AFAIK where it all gets very tricky.

The other jokes as I said is time scale could be anything.

A zero energy orbit to Mars in 10 years? Not much of an achievement (at least not if you're a human).

4. MartinBZM
    Happy

Reminds me of ...

... find “zero energy pathways”, which are points between universes that are frictionless and supposedly require no energy to transit. If true, these passages would give us the ability to live in a different universe and commute back to this one for work and shopping.

Reminds me of the 'Long Earth' books, eh?

1. Richard Taylor 2
      Happy

Re: Reminds me of ...

Even April 2 - 1

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like