back to article Samsung unveils fourth-generation Galaxy Tabs

Samsung has announced this year's Galaxy Tab range and as has become the case in the world of fondleslabs, not much has changed. At some point in 2014's second quarter Samsung will emit a 10.1 inch, 8 inch and 7 inch tablets, all under the “Galaxy Tab4” moniker. All will be a little thinner and lighter, offer 1280x800 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lusty

Do Samsung have another range of tablets with high def screens? 1280 x 800 seems a little low these days for a high end manufacturer.

1. Sampler

I was going to lament the same..

Still not the resolution of the Nexus 10 which iirc they made?

2. AlexV

Yes

They are the Galaxy Tab Pro range. Better specs all-round than this bunch, but no doubt reflected in pricing.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@Lusty - yes, two actually: Tab Pro and Notes.

In practice 1280 x 800 is fine for most things - I use my 3-year old Tab 8.9 (closer to the Pro spec) with it on a daily basis. Waiting for a comparable one with an OLED screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why should I have a lower resolution on my tablet than on my phone?

1. I like noodles

Why should I have a lower resolution on my tablet than on my phone?

Did somebody say you had to buy one of these?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because bigger screens at high resolution consume more power?

A better question is why are people so obsessed with weight and depth when it comes to devices? Anyone who isn't a moron puts an Otterbox or comparable on their phone anyway.

I'd rather have a heavy, thick tablet that runs for days and is more durable than a thin light one that lasts 8-10-12 hours.

2. DrXym

Not bad tablets

I have an 8" Tab 3 and it's a slick little tablet. Resolution isn't anything special but the screen is very sharp, bright with no bleed. There is a higher res Tab Pro model but IMO it costs too much. Biggest gripe is the cost of the covers - although there are some really good covers on EBay for much less.

3. 5hady
    FAIL

Move along please...

...nothing to see here.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dull dull dull..... while I own a Nexus 7 which is also incredibly dull, this is Samsung who are supposedly better than Apple (lolz).

1. Vince

Depends how you define "better" I would imagine. If you think that having the highest spec translates into the best overall experience... which you clearly do "lolz" indeed.

5. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

Great...

... yet another device to worry about when testing...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re - '1280 x 800 seems a little low these days for a high end manufacturer.'

Do you want to watch a video in full 720p 1280 x 768 or on a 'lets crap on the sheep' pixely + big black bar alternative ? Apparently some people still buy the iPad Mini at 1024 x 768.

Its barred and on the black(bar) list in my household

7. JDX Gold badge

Nothing new?

Based on outside appearance and weight, desktop PCs today are pretty much identical to an old Pentium 90. Surely the whole point of a tablet is the minimalist design, and it's what's on the inside that matters as long as the outer case is half-decent?

8. Alfonso Garcia-Patiño Barbolani

Never, ever buy one of those: they are notoriously unreliable and Samsung can't bother to fix them

Purchased two Note 10.1 devices almost a couple of years ago. One of them is working flawlessly without a single issue. The other one started to reboot by itself and lose all configuration information from time to time, the lapse between these incidents becoming shorter and shorter.

When it became unusable because you could not watch a 10 minute clip without the device locking out, I sent the tablet for repair.

The first time I sent it it came back with note saying that they had swapped the motherboard. The problem appeared again after a few weeks of use. I sent it to repair again and came back. Four iterations later and the problem continues. Service notes came back with comments like "no problem found" (of course if you're not willing to wait five or ten minutes you'll not see anything wrong when you just boot the device) or "charge battery" (like I can ensure the kit arrives at the repair shop with full charge!!!) or says "upgrade software" (as sometimes you can only get out of the reboot cycle by wiping to factory defaults and you don't bother to enter the profile info again so that the technician can enjoy looking at your browsing history)

After four, count them, four times I've given up. Samsung does not want to replace the device, and refuses to acknowledge any problem because their technicians can't bother to leave a device on long enough to see it.

I've asked around a found at least two other Note owners with the same problem, sporadically losing profile info or rebooting, and they have not been able to have Samsung fix it. In general, Samsung owners either have not experienced any problems with their kit or have given up on the brand after trying to get any problems fixed.

I'm astonished as to how Samsung is still in the market. Their range of problems start at poor design, poor quality control, poor technical service and finally poor customer commitment. At least if all else fails, after a customer sends you four times a device with exactly the same problem you'd consider there's something wrong with it?

Contrast this with my experiences with other brands, one more expensive brand, the other is even cheaper than Samsung: both have serviced kit sent to them in a matter of days. One fruity company even swapped one phone with a flaky battery after 15 months of purchase without questions.

So in light of these experiences, I'm recommending against the Note. And against Samsung consumer electronics in general. I don't want to have a TV rebooting sporadically and be told that "there's no problem" is the solution.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: ... notoriously unreliable and Samsung can't bother to fix them

After four, count them, four times I've given up. Samsung does not want to replace the device, and refuses to acknowledge any problem because their technicians can't bother to leave a device on long enough to see it.

Film the problem, stick the vid and pics in an email whilst record delivery a letter with dates and times of returns and breakdowns with a threat of small claims court* - the threat is usually enough but be prepared to follow it up.

The reasons companies pull this shit is because we as consumers can't be arsed to follow it up - we have protections but we need to use 'em.

* Assuming you're based in the UK

1. Alfonso Garcia-Patiño Barbolani

Re: ... notoriously unreliable and Samsung can't bother to fix them

"Assuming you're based in the UK"

... which sadly, I'm not. Thanks anyway for the advice.

2. cambsukguy

Re: Never, ever buy one of those: they are notoriously unreliable...

As I have said here previously, their TVs are poor in design and reliability, anecdotal evidence of two purchases, different types, LCD and Plasma, different sizes, 60 and 32. One was a dead loss with no repair possible even with 4 different boards replaced (almost certainly the screen connector according to a TV guy). The other, replacement MB needed, fortunately cheaper on eBay second-hand but otherwise 250 quid.

Waiting up to 10s for the input selector to display something is crackers. Stopping playback of a TV show just because the recording has stopped is barking.

My original TiVo with 16MB RAM could do more (albeit only up to 720) and responded with alacrity apart from the reordering of season passes (in which I assume the swap space went nuts and affected performance 1000-fold).

I wish TiVo wasn't a monthly service at a high price.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Never, ever buy one of those: they are notoriously unreliable...

As I have said here previously, their TVs are poor

Putting in the ground work before the Apple iTV has even been produced... I like it

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Underwhelming

No full HD or OLED. For the company that pioneered the 7" tablet (albeit with some 'inspiration from Apple) this is underwhelming, and it comes 6 months after the Nexus 2013 iteration.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Underwhelming

Hold your horses, these are just the baseline (free with contract…) tablets getting their annual updates.

AMOLED updates for the TabPro versions (8.4" and 10.5") are apparently in the works (source http://sammobile.com)

10. PaulR79

Bland rehash

Why do they bother with these tiny annual releases? I know why (money) but they offer so little over the previous years model and the year prior to that ad infinitum. I know someone with a Galaxy Tab 7 - 3 and it's stuck on Android 4.1 but only came out last year. The specs for it are underwhelming at best and it just feels like Samsung are the landfill Android manufacturer that I keep hearing about.

Wasn't there supposed to be an update to the pretty decent Nexus 10? The new Nexus 7 was great but not for me and I'd rather not spend money on the Nexus 10 given its age now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bland rehash

"Why do they bother with these tiny annual releases?"

Because unless you're an Apple moron, you don't update every year. The tiny difference from a 2013 tablet to a 2014 tablet is big when you plan to use it for 2-3-4 years.

/I still use my HP TouchPad, dual booted cyanogen

//Want to upgrade to a Samsung Tab Pro but don't want to pay more than $200

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know someone with a Galaxy Tab 7 - 3 and it's stuck on Android 4.1 but only came out last year

Don't worry there will be someone along shortly to tell you that if you void the warranty, circumvent the boot loader and spend 4 hours messing around on spyware ridden developer forums with ROMs and APK files there is a slight chance should the sun and moon align that you may be able to get the tab upgraded to Android 4.3 in under 4 hours

1. I like noodles

Or you could probably just go to cyanogen's page and plug the thing into your pc and do it pain-free in no more than 15 minutes like I did with my s3, but you wouldn't know that as you've obviously not done it.

2. PaulR79

If it was my tablet or even a family friend's tablet I'd have it updated in no time but this is someone who is new to tablets and Android that I'm helping where I do voluntary work so that isn't an option. As for your insinuation that it would take a great deal of effort to update with unofficial updates I'd have to disagree strongly. Custom ROMs may not be for all but they are far easier to install than you make out.

11. John 62

16:10!

1280x800 sounds good. Not the highest res, obviously, but on a 10" device, it's pretty good. You know the best thing? It's 16:10!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like