back to article Dark SITH LORD 'Darth Vader' joins battle to rule, er, Ukraine

The Ukrainian Internet Party has announced that a man wearing the costume of the Dark Lord of the Sith is their chosen candidate for the country's presidential elections on 25 May. According to the Russia's Interfax news agency, the party was serious enough to stump up the whopping UAH 2.5 million (approx £132,000) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G

El Reg toeing the line?

"Russia has since invaded Ukraine's Crimea region, ostensibly to "protect" it from the unrest."

Russia has NOT invaded the Crimea since peristroika it has paid the Ukrainian government about half a billion dollars a year to rent it's base near Sevastopol. The majority of people living there are Russian by descent and were worried about the increasingly anti- Russian sentiments expressed by the new Neo-nazi so called government, so they had a legal referendum that was observed by large numbers of international observers.

There was and 86% turnout of voters which is more than the percentage of russians living there, the vote was some 96% in favour of becoming an autonomous region under the protection of the Russian government.

Check out some of the more honest western news to see what is going on instead of just quoting the crap from all the usual rags that only print what they are told to.

Some reading:http://www.globalresearch.ca/crimeans-choose-russia/5373974

The Guardian and others will back up what this article says.

For what is is worth the day after the referendum I spoke via skype to a friend of my wifes who lives in Sevastopol she was so happy at the result of the referendun as previously she had been genuinely scared of much that was going on and being threatened by the Ukraine against Russian majority areas, interestingly she is Ukrainian by descent not Russian.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: El Reg toeing the line?

Russia has NOT invaded the Crimea since peristroika it has paid the Ukrainian government about half a billion dollars a year to rent it's base near Sevastopol.

Which is not the same as having those Russian troops leave their bases and effectively lay siege to Ukrainian military and government buildings.

they had a legal referendum

Last I heard, the declaration of independence and consequent referendum were against the constitution of Crimea.

that was observed by large numbers of international observers.

And an even larger number of Russian military troops.

she had been genuinely scared of much that was going on and being threatened by the Ukraine against Russian majority areas

Frightened people are easy to manipulate, and it's easy to frighten people on the periphery.

Frankly, the largest stink with this whole deal for me is how quickly it went from "Russian troops on the streets" to "Annexed by Russia". It smells more like a thin veil over an occupation, than a legitimate democratic process.

1. Mike Smith
        Mushroom

Try seeing it from the Kremlin's point of view

Consider this:

- Sevastopol is Russia's outlet to the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. It's a strategically important asset - as much as Gibraltar or Faslane is to the UK, or Pearl Harbor is to the US.

- Ethnic Russians are the majority population in Crimea.

- The internationally-recognised Ukrainian government, corrupt or not, has been ousted in an armed uprising. The fact that the immediate cause was a refusal to buddy up with the EU rather than Russia is neither here nor there.

Think how Britain would react if such an uprising had happened in Spain, or what the American federal government would do if it happened in Hawaii. They'd do their utmost to secure important assets, just as Putin has done. They wouldn't see it as sabre rattling - more like taking reasonable security precautions.

Furthermore, the West's in no position to bleat about flouting international law after what happened to Iraq. Putin's annexing of Crimea didn't involve the slaughter of thousands and the destruction of the peninsula's economy.

The Ukrainian government should have had a lot more sense. They should have realised Sevastopol's importance to Russia, known that Putin wouldn't let it go, and remembered what happened to Georgia. They should also have kept in mind that Russia is the one country on the planet that still has the ability to turn the US into a radioactive cinder if sufficiently provoked. That means that Obama and Kerry can't push Putin too far.

As things stand, Putin has what he wants - access to a secure Crimea - and doesn't need to bother with the rest of Ukraine. He can always turn the gas off if Kiev pisses him off enough.

Basically, Kiev should have seen it coming.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Try seeing it from the Kremlin's point of view

Sevastopol is Russia's outlet to the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. It's a strategically important asset

Which Ukraine had not threatened. Also Russia has a Black Sea coast on the Caucasus side. I guess they probably wouldn't want it in Sochi, but I'm sure there's a bay on that coast somewhere that would do if needs must. Russia has plenty of other leverage with Ukraine to keep this base, and had it on at least ten years of lease agreed recently.

Ethnic Russians are the majority population in Crimea.

Indeed. Although in all previous votes (and recent opinion polls), they'd decided to throw their lot in with Ukraine. How did that suddenly turn into a 97% referendum vote the other way? Anything to do wtih the less than week-long election campaign, intimidation of opposition, troops and 'militia' on the streets and transparent ballot boxes I wonder?

In fact it's rather reminiscent of the vote to hold the referendum in the Crimean parliament, where at least some opposition MPs were thrown out and the place was surrounded by armed troops and/or 'militia'.

The internationally-recognised Ukrainian government, corrupt or not, has been ousted in an armed uprising.

Bollocks! The elected President ran away and went into hiding - after ordering troops to shoot at protesters. And got impreached by Parliament. Including by members of his own party - who hold a majority. That Parliament then replaced him and his government.

Whether that's all constitutional is not something I'm qualified to comment on. But that's as much of a legal process as you're likely to get, in a country in as messed-up as Ukraine. It's not ideal, and it leads to the idea that you can start storming government offices if you don't like the results of an election you lost. But Putin's on pretty dodgy ground himself if he wants to start talking about democratic legitimacy. He certainly used to have it, and I'm sure he'd have won the last election anyway, without the fraud that his supporters used to make sure.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of democratic legitimacy, um what about the current government in Crimea? In what way is surrounding the regional parliament with armed troops, installing a new government that don't have a majority, and imposing a referendum without a 'NO' option, with zero time to campaign, legitimate?

Furthermore, the West's in no position to bleat about flouting international law after what happened to Iraq.

Iraq was legal. Arguably so admittedly, but there is a legitimate legal argument to say that it was legal, and there's no court qualified to decide yay or nay in the final instance. Plus the UN did approve the occupation. There was also no annexation, and troops were withdrawn after a government was set up. Notice any difference of the Russian invasion of Crimea? There is not even an arguable case for Russia's annexation to be called legal. Of course there's also no court that can decide, only a political body (the UN Security Council), because international Law is basically semi-fictional. There are sort of some agreed norms, under most circumsntances though - and Russia just broke all of them. So yes, we have a right to lecture.

Kosovo was definitely illegal though. Which is another reason International Law is crap. The legal thing to do, in the face of Russia vetoing any intervention, was to let Serbia massacre a few more tens of thousands of people. Note though, that again no-one annexed Kosovo.

They should have realised Sevastopol's importance to Russia, known that Putin wouldn't let it go, and remembered what happened to Georgia.

Aha. So now the faux moral arguments and the everyone-esle-is-as-bad-too whattaboutery go by the wayside. And we admit the truth. Russia is a serial violator of international law and a threat to world peace. Now we're getting somewhere. Well they're a threat to world peace via their nukes, they don't have the conventional military capability for that, but are definitely capable of invading their neighbours. What with destroying Chechenya and massacreing thousands (look into what happened there before you comment on the casualties in Iraq by the way). But with Chechenya, Crimea and Georgia in the recent past and large ethnic Russian populations scattered about the place - Putin has plenty of excuses for further invasions. And a track record of already doing it.

So rather than the childish crap about how we need to look to the beam in our own eye before addressing the mote in Putin's we need to look at the reality facing us. Also ignoring all the crap about how the nasty mainstream media are being horrible about him. Because I've seen pretty balanced coverage in the Torygraph, Guardian and Beeb - including opinions that Vlad was right. So that's just a straw man, so far as I can tell. The question is can we work out Putin's motivation - and is he acting rationally? If not, we need to worry.

Merkel (up to now Germany has been pretty close to Russia diplomatically) said, after speaking to Putin on the phone last week, that he was "divorced from reality". Has power gone to his head? Has absolute power corrupted him absolutely? I don't think he's 'The New Hitler' [tm] - but I do find it disturbing how many people seem to be leaping to his defence - when his actions in Crimea are indefensible.

Note that at no time did Putin attempt to negotiate. He simply sent in the troops. That's a very bad sign indeed. And in my opinion makes the whole thing worse. No one denies that Russia has legitimate concerns and interests in Crimea. I'm certain this could have been settled by negotiation, even to the extent of Crimea rejoining Russia legally (though that would have been much harder).

1. Mike Smith
            Thumb Down

"Which Ukraine had not threatened."

Yet. Again, try to see it from Russia's viewpoint. It probably made more sense to Putin to act quickly to secure it rather than wait for it to descend into chaos. Also, how bad would it look domestically if it looked like he was abandoning ethnic Russians to the vagaries of a lawless state?

"Also Russia has a Black Sea coast on the Caucasus side...I'm sure there's a bay on that coast somewhere that would do if needs must."

Yesss... building a major naval base from scratch in an undeveloped coastal inlet can be done for peanuts and completed in a few months. Of course. How silly to think otherwise.

"How did that suddenly turn into a 97% referendum vote the other way?"

Maybe they felt threatened by the violence and realised they were an ethnic minority in Ukraine as a whole?

"The internationally-recognised Ukrainian government, corrupt or not, has been ousted in an armed uprising."

"Bollocks!"

That's only your opinion. Again, look at it from the Kremlin's point of view. They saw instability in a neighbouring country, realised that it could have an impact on an important strategic asset and moved quickly to secure that asset.

"Iraq was legal."

I must have missed something. Very sorry indeed. Please could you quote me the UN resolution that explicitly authorised the use of force against Saddam and which was passed before the invasion took place?

"Arguably so admittedly, but there is a legitimate legal argument to say that it was legal"

There's a moral argument, certainly. Not a legal one. And if, as you assert, international law is "semi-fictional", then you need to explain how you can make a legal argument in the absence of a legal code without resorting to morals.

"the UN did approve the occupation."

It's called a fait accompli. What else could they do?

"There was also no annexation"

Quite right - an armed occupation is something else entirely.

"and troops were withdrawn after a government was set up."

Indeed they were withdrawn. Eventually. Leaving a lot of dead bodies and an unstable mess plagued with sectarian violence. Or is that what's meant by collateral damage?

"Notice any difference of the Russian invasion of Crimea?"

Loads. A lot less bloodshed, a lot more legitimate interest, far less posturing and no lies to all and sundry about weapons of mass destruction, state-sponsored terrorism and support for al-Quaeda.

"There is not even an arguable case for Russia's annexation to be called legal."

Depends where you're coming from. A tap-room lawyer would certainly say that. Again, in the face of "semi-fictional" international law, it's possible to make a reasonable case.

"Aha. So now the faux moral arguments and the everyone-esle-is-as-bad-too whattaboutery go by the wayside."

No, they don't. They still stand. They just have to be balanced against realpolitik because that's what it comes down to in the end.

"Russia is a serial violator of international law and a threat to world peace."

Maybe they've learned a lot from the actions of the US, the UK and Israel over the years.

"invading their neighbours. What with destroying Chechenya and massacreing thousands"

Chechnya wasn't a separate sovereign state. Bit of a difference there. I'm not excusing what Putin did in Chechnya but he didn't launch an unprovoked invasion, unlike what Bush and Blair did in Iraq.

"So rather than the childish crap about how we need to look to the beam in our own eye before addressing the mote in Putin's we need to look at the reality facing us."

Indeed we do. As far as armed aggression goes, the West, particularly the US, has a track record that doesn't put us in a particularly favourable light.

"The question is can we work out Putin's motivation - and is he acting rationally?"

It seems to me to be far more rational to secure an essential asset without bloodshed than to launch an unprovoked attack on a country on the other side of the world.

"Merkel (up to now Germany has been pretty close to Russia diplomatically) said, after speaking to Putin on the phone last week, that he was "divorced from reality"."

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But there is still the point that Putin has not directly threatened either NATO or the EU. If he'd tried it on with Finland or the Baltic states, it would be different matter. If the EU takes a tough line with Putin, there will be some pain on both sides. Why act the hard man when the EU hasn't been threatened? Massive sanctions would hit the EU harder than the US.

"Note that at no time did Putin attempt to negotiate."

His attitude - again, remember how the Kremlin would have seen it - was, and is, that you don't negotiate with terrorists or insurgents. You crush them. Again, the West also has plenty of form in that area. It took a long time to get to the Good Friday agreement. How are the negotiations with ETA going? Or the Taliban?

And no, I'm not a Putin apologist. Or a supporter of armed aggression. I'm just an ordinary bod who's prepared to make the effort to see both sides of the argument and not automatically assume that the West is always right.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
              Facepalm

@Mike Smith - Try seeing it from the Kremlin's point of view

Most of what you're saying boils down to 2 things -

1. Russia has a legitimate interest in Crimea so was justified in taking it over

2. The west can't complain because it's done it's fair share of imperialism/invasion etc.

First off, I'm going to ignore anything falling under (2). Two wrongs don't make a right. If the US or anyone else was wrong in the past and are arguing differently now it makes them hypocrites, it doesn't mean their arguments are invalid. So let's concentrate on the main point of Russian interest in Ukraine/Crimea.

Firstly yes, they have a major naval base in Sevastopol, and an ongoing contract with Ukraine to keep that base. However there was no threat to that base except in Russian imagination and propaganda. There was no real need to intervene to protect the base.

Secondly, yes, Crimea is majority Russian ethnicity and was part of Russia 50-ish years ago. However, again, there was no threat to the Russian population of Crimea (or indeed anywhere in the Ukraine) except, again, in Russian imagination and propaganda.

I believe the 'new' Ukrainian parliament did, misguidedly pass a law removing Russian as an official language (oh boo fuckin' hoo, cry me a river), which is the full extent of the 'persecution'. There was no real need to intervene to protect the people. And if this excuse sounds familiar, (Godwin's law alert!) it's the one Hitler used to annex Austria and Czechoslovakia, and has the same non-validity as Ireland wanting to annex Boston because there's a majority of ethnic Irish. Russia is utterly uninterested in the citizens, they are just an excuse.

Thirdly, the whole thing kicked off because Russia intervened to scupper a deal to align Ukraine more closely to the EU. Russia doesn't like this for, to put it bluntly, dick-waving geo-political reasons, and possibly a few other economic reasons, but let's be clear about this: it's none of Russia's fuckin' business who Ukraine decides to align itself with.

1. Mike Smith

Re: @Mike Smith - Try seeing it from the Kremlin's point of view

"Russia has a legitimate interest in Crimea so was justified in taking it over"

Er, let me fix that - Russia has a legitimate interest in Crimea so believed they were justified in taking it over.

"was no threat to that base except in Russian imagination and propaganda."

Quite correct - there was no immediate threat. And yes, Russian imagination and propaganda doubtless influenced their actions. Putin may have thought that might change in the future, and if he didn't act promptly now, a later objection would lose any legitimacy it might currently have.

"I believe the 'new' Ukrainian parliament did, misguidedly pass a law removing Russian as an official language (oh boo fuckin' hoo, cry me a river)"

You beat me to it with the Godwin's Law alert, but it's a good comparison. Hitler didn't unleash full-scale repression against the Jews as soon as he was appointed Chancellor - he started out by chipping away slowly. There's a useful summary here:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/voices/info/decrees/decrees.html

It started with book-burning and intimidation by the Brownshirts and ended with continuous deportations ten years later. When you remember the horrendous brutality the Nazis dished out to the Russians, it becomes easier to understand why people in that part of the world are so sensitive to such matters and don't see it as paranoia; because in Eastern Europe, they've got direct experience of what the eventual outcome might be.

"let's be clear about this: it's none of Russia's fuckin' business who Ukraine decides to align itself with"

Well, the Kremlin doesn't see it that way. To understand why, ask yourself this - how would Britain react if Ireland decided it was in its best interests to align itself with a country that hates our guts? How would America react if Mexico and North Korea signed a mutual co-operation and defence treaty? Would that be none of London or Washington's fuckin' business?

Re: @Mike Smith - Try seeing it from the Kremlin's point of view

"Well, the Kremlin doesn't see it that way. To understand why, ask yourself this - how would Britain react if Ireland decided it was in its best interests to align itself with a country that hates our guts? How would America react if Mexico and North Korea signed a mutual co-operation and defence treaty? Would that be none of London or Washington's fuckin' business?"

Yes, if Ireland / Mexico decide to sign a defence treaty with N Korea, it is none of the UK's or the USA's fuckin' business. I can see why they would THINK it was their business, just as I can see why Russia might THINK whatever it was thinking that led to the Crimea annexation. But just because I can understand why Russia are doing what they are doing doesn't make it right.

Interestingly, if Russia had no intention to ever 'harm' the Ukraine, (or USA/UK to Mexico/Ireland) why would they object to Ukraine (Mexico/Ireland) signing a defense treaty with someone else? It's like my neighorhood gang leader being offended if I install new locks and an alarm.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Mike Smith,

As stated above, your arguments eem to be straying into the field of Russia can do what the hell it likes because it's a major power.

And the answer to that is, up to a point. We should certainly take account of Russia's legitimate national interests. However they don't get a free pass to do whatever the hell they like.

I'm no fan of international law. Because it's semi-fictional, has little democratic legitimacy, and doesn't have particularly effective mechanisms to make it work. However, it's what we've got. And it's a good basis for international behaviour.

Iraq gets to be legal, because Iraq was in breach of the ceasefire terms from when they were thrown out of Kuwait in 91. As well as many subsequent ones. Also they made it impossible for the weapons inspectors to find the weapons that it turns out weren't there - or verify whatever actually happened to them. That resolution only got through with weasel words - from memory it specified serious consequences rather than grave consequences (which is the normal legal term adopted by the UNSC for resolutions it backs up with military force). However it was clear what the US and UK meant by that resolution, so if France and Russia had really objected, they should have vetoed, not just watered down that word. So there was a perfectly arguable legal case, without a court to argue it in, Saddam was given nearly a year to negotiate - and the consequences of not doing so were made totally plain. Whatever you may think of the invasion it is totally different to what happened in Crimea, where Russia didn't attempt to negotiate, had no even vague legal justification, and not even a reasonable cause to resort to military force.

Even if I accepted that Russia has a legal right to use military force to retain the Sevastopol base (which it didn't), there had been no threat to it. Even when Russia cut off Ukraine's gas supplies in Winter, no threat was made to that base. U:kraine did threaten not to renew the lease in future, and that was one of the bits of leverage that got a new deal agreed.

Also, Putin has spent years lecturing everyone about non-interference in soveriegn states. That was their argument to continue to allow the Serbs to massacre the population of Kosovo, and to allow the Syrian government to continue the slaughter.

Had there been serious attacks on the Russian speaking population of Crimea, they would have had a legitimate reason to intervene. Even though it would be illegal without UN backing. As we did in Kosovo. Although I doubt there would have been a Security Council veto under those circumstances.

Basically it would cost Russia a load to build a new naval base. And that would be just their tough shit. If they're unable to negotiate to keep it.

One of the other massive problems this has created is that Russia specifically violated a treaty to respect the terriorial integrity of Ukraine. This is hugely important. As how do we negotiate with Russia now? There are plenty of other places that they might choose to invade, using the excuse of a Russian population left over from Soviet days. Including Eastern Ukraine (where they are currently massing forces). Do we allow this? We certainly can't trust them to keep their word. After all Putin said they weren't planning to invade the day before he did it.

We're treaty-bound to defend the Baltic states. We let them and Poland into NATO. We either need to dissolve NATO and admit we don't care, or signal to the Russian government that we're serious. Otherwise we could end up getting ourselves into a really stupid war. If NATO doesn't want to do the job, then I'd imagine that there's going to be an awful lot of nuclear scientists getting very busy in places like Ukraine and Poland.

I'm not a Putin apologist. Or a supporter of armed aggression. I'm just an ordinary bod who's prepared to make the effort to see both sides of the argument

There are no both sides of this argument. Russia's invasion and annexation of a neighbouring country is entirely illegitimate. Both legally and morally. It was pure, naked armed aggression. As the strategy worked, they've continued it, by mobilising troops on Ukraine's Eastern borders and threatening another invasion to peel off more of the Russian speaking bits. Where Russians are in a minority. This is proper 1930s style nationalist miltary aggression. Fortunately without the bits about master races and genocide. The question we need to known is what does Putin's regime want. And will the appetite grow with the eating? Do they have some limited objectives, which can be reasonably accommodated, or quietly ignored where realpolitik suggests it's better to give in? Or has getting away with the invasions of Georgia and Chechenya persuaded them that they can recreate some sort of Russian empire, like the good old days of the Soviet Union. Or do they really believe in all that crap about things being better in the good old Soviet days - and want to re-create it?

I remember reading a piece by Robert Service about 3-4 years ago. Where he compared 1930s Germany and Russia now. There's this feeling of the ex-KGB types running the place that they didn't lose the Cold War. That nasty Gorbachev betrayed them. He went all soft, and collapsed the USSR - even though they were superior to their Western counterparts. In Germany it was the stab in the back. The army didn't lose in France, so Versailles was somehow 'not fair'. Even though it was less harsh than what Germany imposed on France in 1870 - and what they were planning to impose on France in 1914. Instead there was this myth amongst the German nationalists that the socialists and jews on the home front lost the war for them.

I dimissed it at the time, as an old Cold Warrior who couldn't forget the past. And Putin as too rational to buy into all that rubbish, and the dangerous consequences it could lead to. Now I'm not so sure, and I'm a lot more worried. And Putin seems a lot less rational, predicable and measured in his actions than he did 5 years ago.

2. John Deeb

That's right. And it was already a stretch to call the Crimea "Ukraine" anyway--, in recent times or in the past since that would ignore so much history that it's almost funny. The current Russian "Anschluss" might not be the best move all in all but certainly it's a logical one. If autonomous regions actually should have the freedom to secede or declare whatever they like, that's a whole other question. Better not ask it to American history buffs though. Is there a "right of revolution" applicable here?

" If autonomous regions actually should have the freedom to secede or declare whatever they like"

The point really is that none of this was 'free'. The Crimea was occupied by Russion troops without insignia on their uniform pretending to be a newly-formed local militia. That Russian ethnicities in Crimea were being persecuted / targeted is a fanrasy invented by Russia to justify intervention. The referendum was against Crimean / Ukrainean law, and in any case cannot be said to have happend freely when the place was chock-full of Russian troops. Even teh annexation of Crimea to Russia was illegal under *Russian* law until an emergency bil went through the Russian parliament after the Crimean referendum.

On the other hand of course, it has to be said that the current Ukrainian 'government' is actually a cabal who carried out a coup d'etat against the legally elected president, and until new elections are held cannot be said to be legitimate (and even then, will elections truly be 'free' if anyone from Yanukovich's old party is not allowed to contest and/or is intimidated/harrassed?).

Considering that Crimea was part of Russia since quite recently anyway, and that it wa a net drain on Ukrainian resources anyway, teh status quo is probably for the best anyway. Ukraine can continue making a fuss for a while and then they'll agree to accept losing Crimea in exchange for some concessions from Russia and everyone will go on their merry way.

As to the EU, WTF were they thinking to offer Ukraine an association agreement? In what world was that ever a good idea? Same order of idiocy of thinking that Turkey could join. You really want the EU with freedom of movement across it all to have a common border with Syria / Iran / Iraq??

No side is coming out of this looking good

2. Irony Deficient

Is there a “right of revolution” applicable here?

John Deeb, one list of North American secessionist groups can be found here. Buffs of US history would take Texas v. White into consideration; buffs of Canadian history would take Reference re Secession of Quebec into consideration.

3. Roj Blake Silver badge

"If autonomous regions actually should have the freedom to secede or declare whatever they like, that's a whole other question"

The West supported the right of Kosovo to secede from Serbia, so the question has already been answered.

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Chris G

It's probably not too unfair to call Ukraine at least partly a failed state. But I wouldn't blindly believe Russian propaganda, such as neo-nazi government or that the Russian population is threatened. It's not even difficult to debunk Russia's disgustingly hypocritical attitude. To a great degree Putin centralised power in the Kremlin, taking it away from the regions, from minorities. And now, according to Russia, Ukraine should do the opposite, giving more autonomy to the (Russian) regions.

I'm not surprised that a vast majority on Crimea voted for Russia, in an illegal referendum by the way. As you said, most of them are Russians (they were settled there during early USSR time). But also quite a few face harder times (e.g. check unemployment rate), or believe that it became harder, compared to being under Soviet Union. This is true for the whole Ukraine but especially those with Russian ancestry regard going back to Russia as a solution.

I do believe that any population should generally have a say in their destiny. If it happens, it usually is a rather lengthy process. What happened with Crimea, however, is annexation orchestrated by Putin/Kremlin.

2. RISC OS

Maybe members of the welsh church of the jedi should...

...go on a crusade to the ukraine...

Mind you, after the last time the sith lord was spotted in wales, the jedis got their arses kicked!

The jedis were quoted as sayin: "Ow! That really hurt" and "That was really quite painful"

I don't think they have the bottle to take him on again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/7360871.stm

3. Stephen Channell

tartar source

Crimea was billed as a tinderbox because of the ethnic and religious tension between Tartar's (original population of Ottoman Crimea), Russians and Ukrainians. From a western analysis, the Tartars should lean towards the pluralist EU supporting liberals rather than Russia which (under Stalin) expelled the tartars after WWII, but that is not what happened. That a ethnic group culturally/ethnically/historically closer to Istanbul than Moscow would vote overwhelming to join Russia demands serious analysis and respect.

Had the USSR followed market forces, there wouldn't have been a reason for Khrushchev to give Crimea to the Ukraine to route water, power & gas.

Nobody is seriously considering a reenactment of the 'charge of he light brigade' to defend Communist planning or the agreements of a pissed and broke Boris Yeltsin, so lets quit the rhetoric and accept that Crimea is a pawn in the diplomacy over Syria.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Maybe...

Scotland could have a third option in their referendum to join Russia. Putin has to be better than Salmond!

It does seem to me that, at the moment, Russia has a clearer mandate by the people of and in Crimea than the current 'government' in Ukraine... Oh, and that the Western media has a real problem with everything Putin. The anti-Putin propaganda is incredible. Sure, he may not be the nicest guy in the world, but the half truths we're being given to paint him as a psychopathic gay and disabled hating bastard* is worrying.

* Apparently, he hates animals too, especially dogs (so the news said)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe...

maybe you should consult real people living in Russia under the Putin regime before deciding anything of that nature. The people are poor. Very poor. A very very small minority are billionaires who control everything (the percentages are way worse than you'll find in any democratized nation).

Yes, the Scots could have the option, but then would find that the Russian economy is badly screwed and stagnated.

5. MJI Silver badge

Just call it Crimea

It was taken off Russia and given to Ukraine by a drunk Ukrainian USSR leader, Putin took it back. Some agree, some disagree. So just use the regional name rather than which ever country has it at the time.

I personally think it is not the business of the West to interfere in squabbles between ex USSR countries, which are not part of EU or NATO.

6. Mage Silver badge

Crimea

It's baffling that it remained with Ukraine after 1991.

But two wrongs don't make a right. Of course it makes more sense for Crimea to be part of Russia than Ukraine. But Russia didn't use due process. They just seized it.

If a neighbour mysteriously ends up with my 1965 classic car I can't just go and and take it back. There are proper procedures.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Putin rushed the job

The proper way to have done the job, in the style of Palpatine was this.

Infiltrate special forces -sans insignia - as spontaneous (masked) people's militia to protect ethnic Russians.

(so far so good)

Presence of militia causes unrest among non-Russians, and blockades Ukrainian controlled forces in their bases etc In response to Ukrainian government unhappiness at aforesaid "militia"

Bring in regular Russian units to disarm militia and "protect all Crimean inhabitants from disorder" in response to local government "requests" (since Ukrainian forces unable to reimpose order)

Bingo. Ordinary-looking and much more media friendly (Officers in big hats giving interviews to foreign journalists etc), Russian troops in full control of area.

8. strum

One thing

Whatever your views on this contretemps, can we get of this 'ethnic Russian' bullshit. Ethnically, Russians and Ukrainians are indistinguishable - they're both Slavic. Perhaps the Crimean Tatars might have some 'ethnic' differentiation - but they're all Caucasian (almost by definition).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Party website

It is entirely in Russian, no Ukrainian whatsoever. Interesting since the only official language in Ukraine is now Ukrainian and all official business has to be done in Ukrainian.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like