back to article Don't look at Maria's SQL, look at MY SQL, pleads Oracle

Oracle says it has doubled the performance of its open source MySQL database when running over large datasets across more than 40 cores, as it strives to preserve its lead in a market thronging with credible contenders. Oracle gave details of a "Development Milestone" release of version 5.7 of its MySQL database on Monday, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MondoMan
    Joke

SSDs

I used a stratified (sometimes also known as "sedimentary") filing system on my "solid state desk". The chief failure mode is when I spill my glass of milk on it...

2. vagabondo

comparison

"These performance enhancements are reached at scale when looking at 40 or 50 or 60 cores being used," Ulin explained. "On the low core counts you don't see it."

So for 99.9% of users this performance boost is irrelevant, and they should stick with MariaDB.

1. John Sanders
      Paris Hilton

Re: comparison

You do not get it the performance gains are like the invisible guy in Mystery Men, they happen when absolutely nobody is looking.

3. Forget It

mySQL ?

TheirSQL more like it

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Happy

Cheap swipe

It's easy to improve the performance over the last version based on fixing bugs introduced in the last version!

But on the whole I think Oracle is doing a reasonable job with MySQL: making InnoDB standard storage engine and promoting proper ACID practices; the workbench is a huge improvement over previous tools.

But I'm sticking with Postgres as my RDBMS of choice. Especially after yesterday's announcement about Postgres 10:

This release includes built-in, tradeoff-free multi-master replication, full integration with all other data stores, and a broad choice of SQL query dialects including Cassandra, Hadoop, Oracle, MS-SQL Server, MySQL, and mSQL.

1. Sir Alien

Re: Cheap swipe

Where did you see that PostgreSQL 10 release announcement? Link please?

Apologies if this is a late April Fools Joke as it is currently the 2nd not the 1st :-P

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@Sir Allen: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140401134036.GC32171@fetter.org but don't forget the hint about yesterday.

2. Mark #255
      Unhappy

the workbench is a huge improvement over previous tools.

I (foolishly) updated from version 5.something to version 6 and was "rewarded" with a sodding TIFKAM-style abomination.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@Mark #255 - it took me a while to get used to. It's not as good for schema management as the old one but for queries it's much better and a lot more stable. But it has taken a while to get there.

Unfortunately, somethings require an update to the server (using EXPLAIN for example). MySQL still provides little real information about the query plan but you do get pretty pictures! ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's the same crap quality as their 5.6 release, I think I'll stick with MariaDB. MySQL 5.5 is slow, 5.6 is unstable. MariaDB 5.5 proved to be stable and much faster than MySQL. We are now testing MariaDB 10.0, which so far seems to be another solid release.

6. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Thinking...

Its time to move over to MariaDB, I really don't like Oracle having a hand in a product I use.

1. Paul Johnston
      Unhappy

Re: Thinking...

Ditto but they have fingers in many pies!

1. Mad Chaz

Re: Thinking...

And they ruin every pie they touch with dirty slimy hands.

7. Chika

Sorry, Oracle, but you only have yourselves to blame considering how you treated the various open source projects when you took Sun over. Weep if you must...

8. WibbleMe

Anything for the little guy? Small WordPress Blog(s) performance?

1. batfastad

Yep, ditch Wordpress.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As ye sow, so shall ye reap

I don't doubt that MySQL has been improved: Oracle's MySQL developers are no worse than the rest of us after all.

The real problem is that Oracle's reputation precedes them everywhere: having made life difficult with the open source assets that they acquired with Sun (Solaris, OpenOffice, Hudson etc.) every reasonable IT buyer is going to look carefully at the likely future of any project they put out, and consider the forked alternatives.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like