back to article Three daddy Hutch has no interest in O2

Three network owner Hutchison Whampoa has ruled out making a bid for O2 in the UK. Hutchison agreed to take O2 Ireland off Telefonica's hands last year. The €850m deal is currently pending a final session of horse-trading before approval at the EU level. In an interview with the Telegraph, Three UK's CEO Dave Dyson said "We …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

I wish they would pick up some other operators throughout the EU so roaming would be less painful.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

I like their US Roaming deal

pretty close to zero charges.

But yes, generally roaming charges suck no matter what network you are on.

2. Mike Bell

They haven't made a bad start, actually. Their customers can already wander around these countries without facing roaming charges...

UK, USA, Austria, Australia, Denmark, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Macau, Republic of Ireland, Sri Lanka and Sweden.

But it would be good if they - and all EU operators - scrapped roaming charges completely, at least within EU countries. I'm sure that will happen one day.

2. Lamont Cranston

Can I take issue with the notion that Three are "well run"?

All their customer facing staff appear to be a bunch of cowboys.

1. PaulR79

Re: Can I take issue with the notion that Three are "well run"?

This is the primary reason that I have not jumped ship to 3 sooner. Anyone I know and everything I read says if you get signal then it's great and prices are reasonable but if you ever need to contact customer support you're ducked (sic).

3. Mage Silver badge

But

Three are only a Phone contract seller.

All engineering is outsourced

The Irish Network too many data users as they mis-sell it as Broadband

They and Irish Government may be investigated for using €75M of taxpayers and EU money to fund base stations Three obligated to roll out and hadn't in breach of licence. Complaint is with EU

Three Ireland massive debt and never made profit.

Three are efficient at marketing/selling, nothing else.

They inappropriately install repeaters designed for Malls, underground carparks and tunnels in ordinary houses for so called broadband instead of outdoor aerial and 3G router.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's a shame.

O2 UK's existing widespread indoor and rural coverage (albeit mostly 2G) combined with Three's impressive 3G network would've made for an quick-win epic new network. Both are strong where the other is weak.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like