back to article Spin that disk drive forecast, Gartner: Watch those desktop units dive

Gartner is forecasting that total hard disk drive shipments will grow at a leisurely 2.9 per cent CAGR from 2013 (552 million units) to 2018 (635.1 million units). But bear in mind that's an average: desktop drives unit shipments will be shrinking at a -7 per cent CAGR over the period while high-capacity business drives grow at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim 59

Disks

You can have my Winchesters when you take them from my cold, dead hands.

2. Sandpit
    WTF?

Pinch of salt

I don't know where gartner get there figures from but I don't believe their prediction. These are the guys that were predicting that nobody would use a mouse in 3-5 years back in 2008!

1. Tom 35

Re: Pinch of salt

Is this enough?

http://romesentinel.com/dailyImages/2011/12/28/20111228-142138-001_medium.jpeg

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hybrids?

I'd love a new hybrid drive for my lappy...if only there was one actually worth buying. I await a worthwhile product, one with a worthwhile SSD size conjoined with a decent HDD size of 7200 RPM performance, but this hope looks like a pipe dream as the manufacturers AS ALWAYS give us what they want to build rather than what we want to buy.

To those who say "free market gives the customers what they want", I call bulls#!t. I didn't want their Great Recession, triggered by slight-of-hand corporate greed, and I *still* can't buy the products that I want in a variety of markets because the company beancounters are more worried about listening to themselves than their screaming customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hybrids?

Why on earth do you need 7200rpm in a hybrid drive. with a decent cache algorithm 5400 is more than enough. If you really need that read speed (where the blocks you want are not in the cache) then go for a pure SSD solution.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hybrids?

Because, since you believe the hype rather than the reality, 1TB laptop SSD's have a miserable cost/benefit ratio while a 128GB SSD/1TB HDD hybrid solution would give you a sustaintially reasonable portion of the performance for a massive decrease in cost - probably close to 1/2 the cost factoring in production volume.

Also. we won't mention the greater predictability point of failure on a HDD therby allowing the user time for corrective measures - oops, there, I mentioned it. Having your 1TB SSD fail without much prior warning would really ruin your day.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like