back to article Assange not running in new Australian election

Julian Assange will not, as previously indicated, run for Australia Senate again. The part-time Ecuadorian ran as a candidate for The Wikileaks Party at Australia's general election last year, hoping to win a Senate seat in the State of Victoria. Doing so probably would not have allowed him safe passage from Ecuador’s London …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Assange not running

We have enough whackadoos running for the senate in WA, we don't need another side-show Bob.

2. Cliff

Because he cares about the best interests of the Australians he'd represent

Oh wait, that must be someone else I'm thinking of...

1. WatAWorld

Too many make their first loyalty to a foreign power.

He probably cares more about the interests of Australians than the traitors in Australia's government that aid the NSA in spying on Australian citizens.

A government employee must ask himself one question: Is my first loyalty to my country and its citizens or to some foreign power?

Too many make their first loyalty to a foreign power, which is the definition of a traitor.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Too many make their first loyalty to a foreign power.

are you referring to the 1970's Gough Whitlam/Sir John Kerrfuffle? or the more recent Ass-ange summer-prawn-barbie problems?

2 random links: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593091/Women-make-best-spies-says-female-MI6-officer.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10733745/Women-make-bloody-good-spies-says-MI6-officer.html

sorry that I don't have these in Swedish

3. T J

Holy crap - behold the might of public memory! I'd nearly completely forgotten about old Whitedyed Man there!

1. FlatSpot
      Thumb Up

Tunnel

You would have thought by now he would have dug a tunnel, perhaps we could club together and send him a dvd of The Great Escape for inspiration.

4. jake Silver badge

Seems to me that Assange has been running for quite awhile now.

Run! Run! Run away, little boy!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Seems to me that Assange has been running for quite awhile now.

He's not so much running, as sitting on his arse on someone else's sofa.

Perhaps his plan is to eat so many microwaved readymeals and tasty snacks, that he can't fit through the embasy door anymore, and is therefore permanently safe from extradition.

5. WatAWorld

Prohibiting eligible people running for election -- a banana republic tactic

Prohibiting eligible people running for election is a banana republic tactic.

And I guess that is sadly what Australia has become, just another banana republic doing what it is told to do by Washington.

Re: Prohibiting eligible people running for election -- a banana republic tactic

Presumably he's not on the electoral roll? Hence he can't stand. Which is his fault, not theirs. After all, he was allowed to stand last time. For all the good it did him. Or would have done any voters foolish enough to elect him, given that he's not able to take his seat, due to the minor matter of hiding inside the Ecuadorian embassy in London, in order to avoid questioning in Sweden for alleged rape.

So I vote no to the banana repulic thing, and yes to the it's more likely he screwed up his paperwork thing. If you can't fill out a couple of forms correctly, and in a timely manner, you're probably not fit for office. Reminds me of a party who said they accidentally filled their voting preference forms out incorrectly, potentially passing their second preferences to the wrong parties... Now who could that be?

2. Steve Knox
      Holmes

Re: Prohibiting eligible people running for election -- a banana republic tactic

Prohibiting eligible people running for election is a banana republic tactic.

True but irrelevant. The key is the word "eligible". That was the entire point of the article.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Julian Assange is ineligible for standing in the next election and always has been. If he won, he would have been found ineligible after a court challenged. It is about what is an "offence punishable under the law of the Commonwealth or of a State by imprisonment for one year or longer." I Assange is in a foreign country convicted for an act that is an offence in Australia, he is ineligible.

He's not been convicted of anything overseas, as far as I'm aware. He's got a hacking conviction in Australia, from many years ago. But he's not been to court in the UK for skipping his bail, even though he's obviously guilty, as I seem to remember his guarantors have already lost their money.

Does that count as a crime, or is it contempt of court? Because contempt is a weird system - at least when administered by the court in question. Criminal contempt is another matter, brought as a normal case but by the Attorney General. As for Sweden, he's not even been charged yet, and can't be until they can arrest him.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ASSange is always running...

...his mouth.

7. ItsNotMe

Any political spots open in Ecuador?

Might want to consider one if available. After all...he's been in their embassy so long now, he's almost a citizen.

Devil

I think you meant:

..After all, he's been on their sofa so long, he's now almost a cushion...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like