back to article LOHAN team gears up for Punch and Judy show

It's all go on the Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) front as the British contingent of the team gears up for the forthcoming "Punch" and "Judy" test flights. On 5 April, we'll assemble at the new "Blighty's Baikonur" (formerly in Berkshire, now relocated to Herefordshire) to launch two balloon payloads. The first …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Taylor 2
    Joke

Those are

3 dogs who have seen more launches than their dinners.....

Not that they seem to be ill fed :-)

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

The lost moment

> The test rocket motor enclosure sits way below the box at the end of a long carbon fibre rod:

... and when it fires, there will be (hopefully) a nice big force imparted to the end of the rod. Given that the other end of the rod is attached to something else, what will start spinning?

3. rhydian
    Pint

Herefordshire!

Not too far from God's own Country, but may I suggest not attempting to power the rockets using Herefordshire's most famous export, even if it can be likened to rocket fuel sometimes!

Raising a virtual pint of scrump to the team!

4. Alister

Isn't Herefordshire a lot closer to the "Big Wet Bit" than Berkshire, and therefore more likelihood of the Frogmanaut being required?

I hope he's got a personal locator beacon about his person...

1. Anonymous Custard
      Boffin

And if Frogmanaut is flying Judy (ooer missus, to continue the Carry On theme), then it does beg the scientific question of who is flying Punch? These important scientific tests need witnesses as well as cameras.

Enquiring minds need to know!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Construction

As someone who once had to fit similar apparatus into tight spaces, I would like to applaud the design of the motor heater. Very nice. It brought back memories. Heatshrink, like double sided foam core tape, is one of the open secret materials that makes many clever things possible.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That carbon rod ...

... is it inanimate?

7. Elmer Phud
    Boffin

Normal tech for us lowlifes

A welcome sight of gaff tape and string!

Now I understand how it all works!

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

It's been a long time since I watched a Punch and Judy show

But this one I'll watch.

I'll keep my fingers crossed

9. imanidiot Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Careful optimism

A rare state of mind for me. I am cautiously optimistic about things working out. It's going to provide some proper data in any case.

I just hope the forces unleashed on the Punch electronics box when that lovely piece of pyrotechnic excelence starts its powerful thrusting are not enough to completely tear it to bits.

Launching both flights at the same time is good in terms of time schedule. But if the Judy flight proves the heating works, but Punch fails to deliver a fast moving spray of hot ejaculate another flight will be needed to see if the heating makes any difference.

10. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Wishing you good weather and spectacular success

onward, upward, etc.

11. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

I have had bit of a Lohan moment...

Somehow I missed it until now but do I understand correctly that you are planning 2 flights - one with the motor but without the heater, the other one with the heater but without the motor - to see if the motor will work OK with the heater?

Wouldn't it be better to send 1 flight with both the motor and the heater together?

1. willi0000000
      Coat

Re: I have had bit of a Lohan moment...

you just don't get it, do you?

these guys will do anything to require another test flight before the real thing.

there's no failure if you never fly but there's no success either.

mine's the one with the extra pocket in the pocket.

[and the tongue firmly in cheek (not that one, you prevert!]

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: I have had bit of a Lohan moment...

The heater is wrapped around the full-fat Cesaroni 54mm case, and that flight is simply to test the heater.

The second flight will carry smaller but loaded Cesaroni motors, to test ignition.

The two flights are because of weight. Sticking all the stuff under one balloon isn't practical in this case.

12. CmdrX3

Damn it people

Did you have to plan it for a Grand Prix weekend. Now I'm torn... LOHAN test or F1 qualifying. Fuck it, I can record the qualifying.

This topic is closed for new posts.