back to article Forkin' 'L! Facebook, Google and friends create WebScaleSQL from MySQL 5.6

Four internet giants have teamed up to create a branch of the MySQL database that's designed to handle massive web applications. The open-source WebScaleSQL branch of MySQL 5.6 was announced by Facebook on Thursday, and uses version 2 of the GNU General Public License. Engineers from Google, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

Oh my Grandma, that's a big DB you have.

The better to own you with, my dear.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

I got it.

Don't understand the down vote, so have an upvote.

3. poohbear

I'd hazard a guess that the tweaks they made to MySQL will also work with MariaDB ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

minor nitpick correction

MySQL - and its derivatives - is/are written mainly in C++, with some C.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: minor nitpick correction

By line count it's roughly 2:1 in favour of C++ over C. By execution time C dominates because it's mainly at the lowest levels and innermost loops. How is describing the project as C/C++ incorrect?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: minor nitpick correction

> By execution time C dominates because it's mainly at the lowest levels and innermost loops.

Bullshit. You must be a sysadmin.

> How is describing the project as C/C++ incorrect?

The original article - when it was published - stated that MySQL was written in C, which is incorrect. It was subsequently corrected to state that it is written C/C++, which is correct. I don't know if it was corrected because of my original post, or for any other reasons.

But thanks for your useless input anyway.

5. CadentOrange

I'll be even more excited about this when Amazon rolls this into their MySQL RDS offering.

6. Nate Amsden

well I guess

that means we don't need mongo anymore right, web scale mysql combined with the optimized devnull storage engine and off we go..

7. batfastad

Much scale, wow, big data, so hip

Funny as you see all these startups using FlapsDB (or some other NoSQL database trending on GitHub) because traditional RDBMS just can't operate at the scale they need. Are you sure about that? Facebook, Twitter, now that's scale.

Or maybe using NoSQL just increases their chances of getting their grubby hipster hands some Silicon Valley dosh, because like Big Data Cloud Internet Of Things is like so hot right now.

8. AndyFl

You must have heard the screams miles away

This announcement must have pissed off Larry Ellison of Oracle big time.

A solid no-cost alternative to the Oracle database with the approval of Google, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn is not something he would like to read about during breakfast.

Doesn't matter how many bugs there are in WebScaleSQL at the moment as it will only get better with time.

9. foxyshadis

I'd be much more interested in a comparison of WebScale vs My vs Maria, to be honest, both upsides and downsides. It sounds quite rosy, but there has to be a downside over it not being integrated.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like