back to article GNOME 3.12: Pixel perfect ... but homeless

When the GNOME 3.x desktop arrived it was, frankly, unusable. It wasn't so much the radical departure from past desktop environments, as the fact that essential things did not work properly or, more frustratingly, had been deemed unnecessary. Fast-forward three years and while GNOME 3.12 – released Wednesday – still isn't the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. chuckufarley Silver badge

Could you post of screen shot of...

...A fresh boot with Firefox open and top running? I want to see how much RAM it uses.

1. RISC OS

Re: Could you post of screen shot of...

Why? You planning on installing gnome 3.12 on a machine form 1990?

I'm not planning on installing it on a machine at all. I was going to install it on my pet goldfish, Mittens.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I was going to install it on my pet goldfish, Mittens.

No, no, no. Always use a scratch goldfish.

Kids.

2. Dunhill

Hmmmmmm

Looked at it

Tried it

and

Immediately back to MATE and Xfce

3. Rich 2 Silver badge

Nope

"For example, imagine you want a shortcut..... All you need to do is edit the application's desktop file...define a "Desktop Action", ...Save your file in ~/.local/share/applications and you're done."

Yep - it's easy for me. But I think this highlights why my gran will never ever use Gnome (or anything Unixy/Linuxy for that matter). These devs STILL don't get it, do they?

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Nope

But how long before someone comes along with a little application to add these easily?

Also, as mentioned in the article, it allows developers (or "packagers") to define these in advance, or bundle the editing into the programme.

Generally, such a feature needs to be implemented before it is exploited. When Firefox, for example, adds an "Add this bookmark to the quicklaunch menu" option, it starts becoming really useful.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is it really for someone else to finish this feature by providing a decent user interface for it? Think of the kicking Microsoft gets for Windows 8, even though there are several third party apps to add the start menu back. The reason is that it is not someone else's job to fix something that should simply be in there from the start.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But how long before someone comes along with a little application to add these easily?"

Well it's been about 5 years so far!

1. RISC OS

lmao ;) danke

3. RISC OS

I think people (grannies included - even those mythical ones who use linux without any problems and can rebuild the kernel in their sleep) have been using such implemented features like creating a schortcut on other OSs for decades... just sayin' ;)

4. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

> But how long before someone comes along with a little application to add these easily?

It's been too long already. On the other hand, this is something that should be in the base product. The fact that it isn't is just blatant disrespect for the actual users. It's a big fat FU from the developers to the rest of us.

It's little wonder that no one has chose to "showcase" this.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

In XFCE, that's right-click, and choose "Add launcher", easy even for a gran. A bit rough to conflate a reviewer's choice of a file edit, and which may show that gnome has a way to go for usability, with a perceived lack in two entire classes of operating system.

I'm still not likely to try gnome for a while, though, but the review is a reminder that Things Change.

1. Craigness

It's not just "Add Launcher". It's knowing the right command to perform a specific action, and then having all those actions available from the same icon instead of having lots more icons. Your Gran won't be doing that, she has a desktop full of shortcuts, folders and documents instead.

Some devs have embraced the Ubuntu version of this. Firefox and Chrome launchers have options for normal or private browsing windows, Screenshot lets you grab the screen, window or a selected area straight from the launcher (or just use PrtScrn). Libre Office is an obvious candidate for a single launcher, but doesn't. I created one for it a while back but after a reinstall I've not bothered - it's not straightforward even to find out what the right folder is (there's conflicting info out there, and default options versus personalised setups, whereas Google's launchers seem to go somewhere else entirely, with really odd names). The Ubuntu Tweak app has something which looks like it should manage launcher options but it doesn't work for me (I tried to set up something for Libre Office). So an official GUI for this would be good, but still your Gran isn't likely to use it.

3. pinch0salt

Isn't it rather the point that some people don't want a computing experience that's been designed for their gran? Just like I wouldn't want to wear my Grandad's clothes?

1. Thomas Whipp

<Disclaimer> I've not used GNOME is years so the following comments are purely based on the article and other comments. </Disclaimer>

I've got no problem with the view that some users may want a more complex environment - although personally I do like common operations within my GUI to be fully usable within the "G" context (i.e. without the need to manually edit a config file)

However.... if you want a something within a main stream distribution then you need to accept that being main stream they aren't going to include an interface which is only really useable if you're up to admin grade tech skills.

4. Chemist

"my gran will never ever use Gnome (or anything Unixy/Linuxy for that matter"

Can your gran drag a bookmark from the browser to the desktop ? That will create an icon for launching the page of the bookmark or at least it will in KDE. How would your gran do it in Windows ?

1. Craigness

@Chemist

"Error while copying. There was an error getting information about “gnome_3_12_review”. HTTP Error: Method Not Allowed"

Easy in Chrome: Tools > Create Application Shortcuts.

1. Chemist

@ Craigness

Well I did say at least in KDE - that's desktops for you. I was using FF BTW and dragging from the bookmarks menu

2. AbortRetryFail

Re: Nope (@Chemist)

"How would your gran do it in Windows?"

The same way as you describe for KDE - drag it from the browser to the desktop.

(Tested with Firefox and Windows 7)

3. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

"Can your gran drag a bookmark from the browser to the desktop ? That will create an icon for launching the page of the bookmark or at least it will in KDE. How would your gran do it in Windows ?"

Well you could drag it from the book mark to the desktop...or to the task bar if you want. Been around for quite a few years now.

5. Matt 52

I agree and I use Ubuntu all day, every day. Not because I'm especially a Linux geek but because I develop LAMP websites and it makes sense to do so. For as long as a terminal or text editor to change a config file is needed for anything then Linux won't go mainstream. Look at OSx - the average user would never know it's BSD Unix underneath, but if you want or need the raw power of a command line then it's still there.

1. Barnie

The average Linux user is unlikely to need change a file in a text editor however even if they do it will usually be something minor.

All operating systems can have problems and it is very much a myth that Windows is easy all the time, what about arcane registry fixes and bizarre command line fixes that are sometimes required for unexplained (to the user) bugs.

Windows has improved a lot over the years and Windows 7 finally made some decent progress, however Windows 8 has made a step backwards in reliability in my experience - I've had more users ask for help with Windows 8 installations than Windows 7 despite 8 being the minority.

6. Bladeforce

Not to burst any Microsoft egos here but my Gran cant get her head around making windows shortcuts

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

my Gran cant get her head around making windows shortcuts

I hereby propose the "gran" as the Register standard unit of computer-user capability (aka, unfortunately, "computer literacy"). One gran is the amount of knowledge required to create a desktop link to a web site in a single consumer GUI OS using the most straightforward method available.

10 grans for doing it by editing a config file. 50 for doing it with a pipeline of commands in the shell via a remote ssh session. 300 for doing it in ISPF for zOS.1

1Someone must have ported a text-mode browser to TSO by now. I'd do it myself if I didn't have real work to worry about.

1. CaptainBanjax

I need more clarification on the 'grans' system.

Is it metric? How many daft uncles to a gran? Is one gran at sea level the same as one gran 50 london buses in the air?

How many grans fit in a football pitch. How many olympic sized swimming pools is that?

We need perspective here.

7. johnnytruant

The thing is, making shortcuts isn't something you need to do in Gnome Shell, so of course it's hard to do. Shortcuts aren't a thing because the interface doesn't work that way. It's like complaining that your new motorbike doesn't have a very good cup holder.

Once you start using search-based interfaces as search based interfaces rather than trying to use them as menu-based ones, you wonder why anyone would want to use anything else. I can barely remember the last time I launched an app by anything so old school as locating an icon onscreen and clicking on it.

Creating Shell dock entries, if you like that sort of thing, is two clicks once the app is launched. Can't imagine how that could be easier.

8. Werner McGoole

OK, so you have to edit a config file. Not ideal, obviously.

But OTOH, do you want a dancing paperclip popping up saying "I see you're looking at a web page, would you like me to help you create a short cut to that?" and then proceeding to create a widget that plays a tune every time you mouse over it, tells you the time of day in the web site's locale, adds it to a semantic map of your browsing habits, emails all your friends to tell them what a great site you think it is and posts to Facebook, Twitter et al. just for good measure, before suggesting where you can get discount vouchers, signing you up to the web site's spamletter and prompting you to create an account?

There's a balance to be struck here. In my view it's about at the level of right-click and select "create a desktop link to a web page". Unfortunately, 99% of GUI designers seem to have convinced themselves we prefer the "paperclip" approach. So kudos to Gnome for going the other way, but it's still not right guys!!

4. Jim 59

Desktops

It is a bit shocking that the minimalist desktops seem to have overtaken the big lads. Linux users generally gravitate towards MATE, XFCE, LXDE and so on. I have gone from KDE to XFCE. Gnome and the other behemoths go on releasing self-indulgent albums but nobody is listening.

Re: Desktops

I think there are two reasons for the switch:

1.) Gnome and KDE no longer run well on old hardware or in a constrained VM.

2.) In some ways the complexity of the large desktops violate the Unix design philosophy of "Programs should do one thing and do it really, really well." This causes things like systemd to go from optional to manditory.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

>It is a bit shocking that the minimalist desktops seem to have overtaken the big lads. Linux users generally gravitate towards MATE, XFCE, LXDE and so on. I have gone from KDE to XFCE. Gnome and the other behemoths go on releasing self-indulgent albums but nobody is listening.

I would go as far as saying that that is probably one of the main reasons for Windows 8 failure, the desktop became too apparent. Although I am principally an MS bod, I always have a VM running somewhere and the machine in my garage running Linux; Mint in its various forms for the last year or so.

I have also not used Gnome or KDE for years because of their general bloaty/heavy/over present feeling, I stick to XFCE, I dont care if XFCE doesn't have feature X or feature Y, the fact that it remains "behind the scenes" and out of my face is what makes it nice, light, reactive and very user friendly.

YMMV but I feel that XFCE just hits the right boundary.

1. Craigness

How so? With Windows 8 they're moving away from the desktop in favour of a simplified launcher with no panel, dock, big-mess-of-files-and-shortcuts-you've-not-bothered-to-categorise etc. The most apparent thing people would notice is there's no desktop. In fact, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth because of it!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@Craigness

Everytime you hit the Windows key that damned full screen TIFKAM interface pops up. Personally I call that invasive and way overboard. What people complained about is not the lack of the desktop but lack of the start menu, and I don't mean the start menu button..

Or are you thinking about those W8 "apps" that no-one cares about....in that case yes I agree with what you are saying but does anyone actually use those programs.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm STILL running Windowmaker on all my Linux machines and I still can't see any reason to change. I just have ten virtual desktops accessed by the function keys and I've divided the applications I use into ten themes (Art, Web, Office, development etc) and docked them on the appropriate desktop. I change the dock on a desktop about once ever 18 months; possibly less often.

As far as I can see, GNOME desktop is a total waste of developer effort that has never delivered anything of interest to either the power user or the semi-mythical granny user. What actually is it even trying to do?

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I see no mention

Of multiple desktops... probably the thing I make most use of in Cinnamon (and in previous Gnome versions). Have they dropped this support, or do I need to download/run it to find out?

1. frank ly

Re: I see no mention

MATE, XFCE and LXDE all have multiple desktops/workspaces. I thought this was a standard Linux thing? Or is it because they're all Gnome 2.x derivatives?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

GNOME 3.10 user here with multiple monitors. It has an odd behaviour when switching workspaces, only the primary monitor switches, but this can be fixed by running the following command once:

"gsettings set org.gnome.shell.overrides workspaces-only-on-primary false"

1. marioaieie

If you install gnome tweak tool you can choose to have multiples desktop on both screens or just on the main one.

3. tmsbrdrs

That's been implemented since Gnome 3 was first developed. Multiple desktops aren't static. They grow in number as needed. For example, When you have nothing opened, you have a single desktop in use, that's all that shows. If you open an app, you get 2 desktops in use, one empty and the other with apps on it. The more desktops you use, the more you have available, and you always get one more than you're currently using.

6. Sebastian Brosig
    Linux

3.12 on Fedora 20

One of the fine folks from fedora has made a COPR ("Cool Other Package Repository", seriously, a bit like PPA on ubuntu) for this

https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/rhughes/f20-gnome-3-12/

I'm going to give it a try later. Comes with the usual warnings.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: 3.12 on Fedora 20

Thanks! Things blowing up here is normal ;-). [Which is why trial stuff is usually just fine. Nothing lasts very long.]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give me OS/2 Workplace Shell or give me death!!!

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
      Pirate

YOU CALLED?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But if XFCE already does what I need......

......why would I install another gigabyte or two to use GNOME? What am I missing here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But if XFCE already does what I need......

'cos Gnome is not ugly as fuck?

I really don't get the appeal of XFCE.

1. W.O.Frobozz

Re: But if XFCE already does what I need......

Beauty is entirely in the eye of the beholder. XFCE as shipped with Linux Mint (including Whisker as a launcher) is a lot like KDE or GNOME before they married Yoko. And it looks just fine to my eyes, I could care less about jumping, dancing, shiny animated buttons or slippy-slidy transitions. I just want it to work without eating up all my RAM and not piss me off. XFCE does that. Every time I check out the latest KDE or GNOME I end up angry and wondering why my hard drive light doesn't go off.

9. Neill Mitchell

Ubuntu

I'm sure this will eventually just be an apt-get away :)

1. Pookietoo
      Linux

Re: Ubuntu

I wouldn't count on it for mainstream Ubuntu. Ubuntu GNOME OTOH says they'll release a PPA for GNOME 3.12 just as soon as it's ready (they're a bit busy preparing Ubuntu 14.04 ATM).

10. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

Why

Do only Apple understand that Flexibility and Complexity end up as the same thing?

Choice is good, but not when it's a choice of umpteen distributions, each of which can have one of umpteen different GUIs. Makes Windows 8 looks sane (well, almost).

Yes, I'm a Windows user. Yes, saying positive things about Apple hurts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why

I've been helping my grandmother with her ipad which my mother somehow convinced her was a good thing to buy. She's old and partially blind. Apple have helpfully given the option to read things aloud, but she doesn't need that. She needs big text. You can set the text big, but that only works for email contents. Not the message titles, or any other text or icons on the screen. It also doesn't work for most other applications.

Pinch to zoom works for some things but not others. And it doesn't remember that she needs the text large so keeps resetting it to small.

It has worked out that she's female and a pensioner, however, and is happily spamming her with "appropriate" adverts, which of course can't be turned off.

Apple haven't realised that flexibility is the difference between making something usable, as opposed to a £500 useless piece of crap. Simplicity just isn't in their vocabulary.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Why

I bought a sports car. It's no good for my furniture removal business.

Should I blame the sports car, or myself?

WTF would you buy someone with poor sight anything that doesn't have a proper keyboard? Rules are easy - no mouse, no touch. Tab to navigate. Zoom follows. Eyesight worsens, get JAWS to read it to you.

11. Jango

Infinitely customisable experience of Gnome 2.x ?

Was this sarcasm? The lack of customisability and the much touted 'users are stupid' mentality of Gnome devs was what led me to use KDE 3.x back in those days. Still agree, it was (is) still much more customisable than its current incarnation.

12. Craigness

DOS

Isn't this discussion a bit redundant now that we can all use open source MS Dos?

1. Hairy Spod
      FAIL

Re: DOS

No,

They havent open sourced it, it has been made available to look at and study, it hasnt been made open to any changes :-p

2. Anonymous Dutch Coward

Re: DOS

You mean FreeDOS? Yes, one might be able to put GEM on it and have a ball ;)

13. bailey86

Another vote for XFCE

Ok - so it's a clean design - which is important.

But - as important is that it's fast.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Another vote for XFCE

I installed XFCE on Tuesday on a new Debian 7 installation - after being with GNOME 3 since the start - and I was dissapointed. It's true what you say, it is a clean design (if a little basic) and it is fast. The problem for me was that dual screen extended monitor support is a pain in the arse to set up. And even after screwing about with it, managing to expand the desktop, once you rebooted it went back to a mirrored display.

Right now, I'm using MATE which is the GNOME 2 of old. And I'm really impressed with it. I would hope that Debian came out with MATE as default as it's more akin to the old GNOME.

Cinnamon, for the record, on Debian 7 is also a pain in the arse. Can't get it to play nicely at all.

As for GNOME 3, I've used it for 3 years, and I may go back to it. Right now though I'm sleeping with MATE for a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You just summed up Linux as a whole.

1. Ian 55

Summing up Linux as a whole

Yep, you've got a choice. If someone decides some stupid desktop is now the default, it is trivial to use another one.

2. bailey86

For reference I installed ARandR which controls the monitor setup nicely. I usually plug my monitor into an external screen at various work places - and with XRandR I can save each of the setups and apply them really easily.

3. bailey86

At least we have choices.

I think it's a shame that Ubuntu didn't stick to a basic default such as Gnome 2 or XFCE. Users who wanted to try advanced stuff like Unity could have added it and used it as well - or it could have been an option on the install screen.

The shame is that you need to be a slightly technical user to install the simpler desktop - it should have been that the default install should have supplied a basic desktop.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GNOME is done, they just don't realize it yet

When Fedora comes to their senses and switches to Cinnamon as the default, the GNOME project may as well shut down because few will go out of their way to install the Linux version of Windows 8.

1. asdf

Re: GNOME is done, they just don't realize it yet

I agree but you really should put the nuclear fire icon on the post.

15. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Just wondering...

...if the relatively tight coupling between Gnome UI and underlying system libraries is actually counting against wider adoption of Gnome releases?

RHEL7 will ship with Gnome 3.8. (G)Ubuntu 14.04 will be sticking with Gnome 3.10 as mentioned in the article. Updating the main distro to a later version of Gnome will mean a lot of dependencies. I can't see the enterprise GNU/Linux distros updating Gnome version in a delta release.

So, I'll have to try and get Fedora to work properly on my hardware. Does not seem to like it for some reason...

1. preppy

Re: Just wondering...

keithpeter:

You were wondering about Fedora........the answer is Fedora and XFCE! Lightweight, fast, simple to use. I've got two AMD/Radeon machines using Fedora 20/XFCE with absolutely no problems.

16. cmannett85

I really don't understand why people are moving their primary machines to lightweight desktops. If I've just spent thousands on a new PC, why on earth would I want to install a DE that looks like it's from 1993!?

And before anyone says it, yes I do 'serious' work on Gnome 3 - C++ development. I've installed it (via openSUSE) on all the machines in our house and even the wife loves it: it's intuitive, tidy, and pretty (the DE, not my wife).

1. southpacificpom
      Facepalm

Well if you "pay thousands for a new PC" these days then please attach a label marked IDIOT to your forehead...

Oh, and good luck with your C++ development as you will get plenty of time for it after the wife comments - no sex for you laddie!

1. Anonymous Coward
        IT Angle

Hell, thousands is entry-level for a decent workstation unless you are Dell or HP who have some real strange ideas what goes into one. I've been designing and building my own since '87 and they consistently run me ~$10,000 (unindexed for inflation) not counting operating systems (plural) and software. Frankly Gnome 3.12 might keep my FirePro 3D mildly amused. To each their own.

2. cmannett85

Thousands isn't enough when you're trying to do doing FDTD over a distributed heterogenous platform (OpenCL). My overclocked i7-K2700 at 4.2GHz is nowhere near enough - but I'm skint now.

Not everyone tits about with spreadsheets for a living.

1. Jim 59

@ cmannett85 - The criticality of data is not a function of its format (spreadsheet, programme code, whatever), but of what it represents. Your C++ code might the latest patches for air traffic control software, or just your own recipe for a decent curry. A boring spreadsheet could be nothing, or a document you are legally obliged to keep updated and accurate, eg. tax records or the company books or the recipe for Coca-cola.

1. cmannett85

I said nothing about the importance of a spreadsheet, only the processing requirements of it.

1. Jim 59

"I said nothing about the importance of a spreadsheet..."

Oh yeah ?

"Not everyone tits about with spreadsheets for a living"

2. Stephen 1

Don't get me wrong, I love C++ over all other languages, but even I would accept that it is probably not the language to use when writing a curry recipe.

2. Matthew 25

"it's intuitive, tidy, and pretty (the DE, not my wife)."

You're a braver man than me cmannett85. Ever considered posting as AC?

3. RAMChYLD
      Boffin

re:

> If I've just spent thousands on a new PC, why on earth would I want to install a

> DE that looks like it's from 1993!?

Frame rate. Wouldn't you want cl_showfps in Team Fortress 2 for Linux to show very impressively high numbers?

One reason I stuck with XFCE and even disabled compositing effects.

17. Robert Grant

What I think's weird

Is that so many of the things in the linked Gnome 3 review that were listed as positives, are cited as negatives in Windows 8 reviews.

Just me?

1. Chika

Re: What I think's weird

No, not just you. Go back far enough and some of those things were negatives on GNOME 3 too.

But then I still use KDE3. ;)

1. Nigel 11

Re: What I think's weird

Not just you. I'm not tempted back from Cinnamon by anything I just read. The thing is, on Linux you have choice, so if you don't like it you just install a different UI. . Whereas on Windows, you are at Microsoft's mercy. You have to replace the O/S to get back to Windows 7 UI, you can't have XP UI at all, and I'm not sure someone who doesn't have volume licensing can do it at all.

18. BorisMcHack
    Pint

My eyes!

Why so much contrast? Dark dark blue with bright light white! Disgusts me, makes me feels sick.

19. Teiwaz

Desktop icons are confusing to most users

I've seen too many regular users who seem to be confused as to what a desktop shortcut is.

I've come across users with entire folders on their desktops, and in windows, some even manage to have programs (the actual exe) stored there.

They just don't get what a shortcut or link is, and quite frankly it's hard to explain to them so they understand.

I recently installed gnome on arch. Maybe it's my 2010 era hardware, but it came up broken, panel icons cramped on top right, system menu 99% offscreen, no defaulr applications on launcher and no icons on activites screen (so I could not drag icons to empty launcher). Tried a few things to sort ir, reinstalled it a couple of times, no joy. Shame, I was gonna give it a whirl for a while to see how its coming along, pretty snappy though for all that, looks pretty.

Kinda remindsme of a hitchhikers quote.

"Looks, like a fish, moves, like a fish, steers like a cow."

Back to Subtle Wm, or Openbox, or Xmonad, or i3, or Herbstluftwm...Couple of extras run on startup: devmon, compton, clipit, feh. DIY desktop

1. Nigel 11

Re: Desktop icons are confusing to most users

And what on earth is wrong with having folders on your desktop? If all your files fall naturally into one of half a dozen categories and you know about subfolders, it may be a completely sensible way to work.

Especially on Linux, where your desktop is just a folder ~/Desktop. Especially with Linux workspaces, where you click on a free workspace and then click the appropriate folder. On Windows, where the mapping from what you see as your desktop to any particular place in the filesystem is a bit metamagickal, maybe there are reasons to work elsewhere?

20. Jim 59

Big desktops

The basic problem big desktops (big in lines of code) is that every 5 minutes they want to get right in your face and scream "I'M HERE!!!".

And for Pete's sake KDE stop calling it "your computer". And stop asking me if I want to "Leave ?" when I instruct you to shut down the system. And then don't give me a slippery moving icon ribbon where hitting the shutdown key is like a duck shoot so then I am back on the desktop and try again and now eh? "Leave ?" ? What no I am not leaving, you are, and what now ? Please will you just f-- okay okay okay I am holding down the power button, holding down the power button, holding down the power button, holding down -"

1. Chemist

Re: Big desktops

"And stop asking me if I want to "Leave ?" when I instruct you to shut down the system"

Well change the configuration then ! Configure Desktop- Startup&Shutdown-Session Management - untick "Confirm Logout"

21. MacGyver

Gnome?

GNOME, MATE, CINNAMON, UNITY, so many to choose from, but all I really want is the one with a damn "Start" menu. Which one of those is that, oh, that's right none of those. Call me when one of those major players releases one for a hierarchical menu junky like me. I haven't liked any Linux distro since the elusive Linux Mint 12 (XFCE). (which oddly appears to not have officially existed, except it did)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Chemist

Re: Gnome?

"but all I really want is the one with a damn "Start" menu"

You want KDE then

1. MacGyver

Nope, XFCE (minus that damn Whisker menu) is the only one for me.

Otherwise known as "Application Launcher".

3. Hunkah

Cinnamon has a start menu.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

KDE, right click on the icon and select classic mode. Bliss! Well that bit of KDE anyway - not so sure about the rest.

22. John Hughes

Homeless?

Because:

aptitude install task-gnome-desktop

Is hard?

23. Ian 55

GNOME3 was 'frankly unusable'

Who wrote..

"Fortunately for GNOME fans there is much to love in GNOME 3"

"Indeed GNOME 3 is a cleaner, much-simplified desktop experience no matter what size your screen is. The GNOME Shell does an admirable job of making it feel like the entire system is just you and whatever app you're using at the moment - the Shell stays out of your way until you need it."

"If .. you really don't care what your desktop looks like and you just want to get some work done, GNOME 3 is a huge step up over GNOME 2."

.. in their review of GNOME 3?

Ah.

What a difference a few years makes.

24. AdamWill

small correction

"In Fedora, for example, most of the account setup process is handled in the Anaconda installer, thus bypassing the GNOME version."

Not in fact. You aren't required to create a user account in anaconda; you have to *either* set a root password *or* create a user account with admin privileges (otherwise we can't be sure you'll have root access to the installed system). If you just set a root password in anaconda, you'll get the no-user-created-previously version of GNOME's initial setup tool.

Even if you create a user in anaconda, you still get most of the GNOME initial setup process after first boot. The only step missed is the user creation step, because...you already created a user. Seems sensible. You should still get the bits about language, keyboard layout, and online account configuration (and anything else I forgot).

Thanks for the bug report about Facebook user accounts - I'm about to see if I can reproduce that here.

25. AdamWill

Facebook workaround

There's a bug report for the Facebook issue:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=726609

which notes that you can actually navigate the Facebook UI behind the 'too small!' overlay using tab and enter, and authorize the account that way, as a workaround. That works, I checked (though it's a bit tricky to see).

26. Hunkah

Cinnamon

Most of you that are complaining about the missing/changed features of Gnome 3, obviously haven't tried Cinnamon. Cinnamon is everything Gnome 3 was supposed to be (...back when you were excited about the release of Gnome 3, until they released it).

Cinnamon has the advanced design, pretty popups, kicker/start menu... I keep hoping that Fedora will switch to Cinnamon, but there are way to many Fedora devs working on Gnome 3 for that to ever happen. Red Hat may as well just buy Gnome, for how many people are working under both umbrellas.

I think for the 28 people using Gnome 3, (and actually like it) there is way too much pride there to admit defeat. So they keep pumping out "better" features and it is still the same pig that they released 3 years ago... now it just has a shiny bowtie on it.

Yay Gnome! The only DE to over double the amount of choices we have with one version number change. (We now have MATE, Unity, Cinnamon, Gnome 3, Gnome fallback mode (nice name), plus all the other choices we used to have).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like