back to article No Notch niche: Minecraft man in rift with Oculus after Facebook gobble

Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has used the occasion of Mark Zuckerberg's acquisition of Oculus VR to unload on the boy wonder's Facebook – and bid farewell to the Rift virtual-reality headset team. Perhaps at least a little miffed that Zuck's personal shoppers arrived a few weeks into an investigation about whether …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neoc

I must admit I *was* looking at purchasing an Oculus Rift (or whatever the commercial version was going to be called). Now, however... There is something about this that is raising the hair on the back of my neck...

1. big_D Silver badge

Yeah, the Facebook Effect. An hour after the WhatsApp deal was announced, everybody in the office was looking for alternatives. I sent my step-daughter an SMS saying welcome to Facebook, she replied that she had deleted WhatsApp and was looking for an alternative.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

re: Facebook Effect

It may be a variant of Reverse Midas Touch, something that's characteristic for most bigcorps. But FB learned it surprisingly quickly. Zuck is a quick learner, he talks like a true PHB now.

2. Annihilator
      Meh

It was bound to be Facebook or Google though, let's face it.

1. Jesrad

I would have rather seen it bought by Valve.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

As would I.

Glad to see someone with scruples getting away from the sinking ship. I was really looking forward to an OR set of goggles. Now I suspect I'll wait for another brand. Marks Zuckerberg's vision of VR and mine are somewhat divergent.

2. Belardi

True... but I'd prefer Google over fb.

3. janimal

yup with you there - very interested in VR, not at all interested in VR from facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Everyone will be offering VR headsets soon - if Sony (PS3/4) and Microsoft (XBOX) do not have one by the end of the year I would be surprised...

1. Brangdon

Sony have already said theirs won't be available in 2014, and Microsoft seem even further away.

1. Aqua Marina

It's just struck me that the Wii U might inadvertently be an ideal VR platform. It already has a portable controller with built in screen. I bet I could take it apart and convert it into a VR headset myself, coupled with the motion plus bits of the old controllers, and come up with something useable within a few hours.

2. Bladeforce

Those consoles just dont have the

GPU capabilities to produce a fluid VR environment. If its on anything it'll be the PC with high end specs. Anyway FB can go fook themselves Zuckerburg is a stuck up brat

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There is something about this that is raising the hair on the back of my neck..."

That will be the compulsory frisking going on as you use the device and it takes all your personal data on account of Facebooks need to prop up it's share prices.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... and that port at the back of your neck - matrix style!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Refreshing!

A person who put his money where his mouth is. It is a welcome acheivement.

Greed is rampant in our society but it is nice to see an individual who would gladly walk away from it...due to a conscious.

1. RISC OS

Re: Refreshing!

... yeah and his a multimillionaire already from mincraft and can afford to walk away ;)

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re:...a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

That's sort of the point. A lot of the super rich couldn't tear themselves away from the potential for more profit irrespective of how much money they already have. If Notch has decided he's got enough money to pass up Facebook millions then he clearly has a moral compass that's missing from a lot of the psycopaths at the top.

1. RISC OS

Re: ..a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

He is probably just as greedy as everyone else...

if not, let him put his money where his mouth is. and give all future rights and profits to someone else... maybe a homeless person... and let the rights go to another homeless person every 6 months...

I can't see him putting his money where his mouth is with this idea... what's the word for this... I know it, it's on the tip of my tounge...

1. detritus

You're richer than most people on the planet, RISC OS — I trust you follow your own advice?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @ RISC OS

One of these things helps people, one does not:

1) Giving them millions of dollars/pounds as the lottery does. Because no one ever squandered it, right?

2) Giving people the opportunity for education and learning, work and community with the millions of dollars/pounds you have.

Which one?

Splashing cash out randomly does not solve many problems. So your suggesting instead of thinking first, Notch should give it out randomly? If you have a different point to make, I'm all ears though. :)

3. Juillen 1

Not a word.. It's a phrase.. "Not an idiot".

4. J to the S

Good idea! Everyone knows homeless people rock when it comes to managing money.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They're Sociopaths, not Psychopaths. Similar, buy one doesn't care about anyone else, the other one wants to kill everyone else.

Apart from that, I agree with you 100%

1. frank ly

@AC Re: ..a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

A Psychopath doesn't WANT to kill everyone, it's just that if they do kill anyone then they have no bad feelings about it. Hence, they find it easy to kill if it makes 'logical' sense to them. On a more everyday level, they treat people very badly and have no qualms about it.

1. Stretch

Re: @AC ..a multimillionaire already ..... can afford to walk away

Sorry about that but it's hard to think of things from a sheeple's point of view all the time. We just have to have a conscience emulator running in one part of our mind.

2. dogged

> They're Sociopaths, not Psychopaths

Most mental health professionals consider these two terms to be synonymous these days.

Just another example of Sherlock Holmes being wrong.

3. Lionel Baden
          Devil

@sabroni ;)

"Due to a moral compass"

Have you played minecraft TSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Oh you can have a moral compass... It just requires a shit ton of obsidian, diamonds, glow dust and pumpkins

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"richer"

is an interesting term, I'd wager most of us have less wealth than a lot more people than we imagine. I have negative wealth, ergo I have no tangible assets, very small savings and reasonable debts, as such anyone who has no debt and a fiver in their hand has more wealth than me. I have a higher salary than many people but that's taxed at a high rate and to gain wealth will require significant saving and life style reduction in the medium term...

Anyway fun stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You might have negative assets, but that's only because you are so sucked in to materialism. But isn't that a wrong application of money? Shouldn't you be living in a shack, eating beans all day, maintaining the minimum standard of appearance to keep you employed and then donating all the rest to the less fortunate?

Just because you've borrowed money and invested it - how selfish of you by the way - doesn't mean you can't redeem yourself! Sell whatever assets you have, try to reach a zero-balance and then start shipping money to the less wealthy.

Because you say Notch should put his money where his mouth is (though his mouth has never claimed to want to help the homeless), and then when someone asks you if you do it you make bogus claims about being poorer than the starving African (at least that's what I understood to be implied?), instead of just saying "I never said I'd put my money where my mouth is, douche"

So just to be clear this whole post = a bitchy reply that I wrote cause, well I'm an entitled bastard with nothing better to do.

1. Daniel B.

Being neck-deep in debt does mean you can actually have negative wealth. It's a basic concept few people grasp, otherwise we wouldn't have so many people who go broke as soon as they spend more than a month without a job.

And not all people in debt are using their CCs to buy useless crap; some have to do so to survive.

3. sisk

Have you played minecraft TSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ye gods I hate that sound. Especially when you're busy filling in the hole that the one a few seconds ago made (which is inevitably when the one that was hiding on the other side of one of my farms decides to come give me a hug).

In my humble opinion if you don't hate creepers you just haven't played enough Minecraft.

4. Tom Samplonius

"If Notch has decided he's got enough money to pass up Facebook millions then he clearly has a moral compass that's missing from a lot of the psycopaths at the top."

Umm.. what millions? Facebook isn't forcing money on people. And Facebook isn't paying anyone to port games to Occulus Rift. At least not yet. But they will probably have to, as "exclusives" are an ever present aspect in the gaming market, which involves paying developers to keep a game locked to a certain platform.

I find this whole "Facebook is evil", and that Notch is so principled walking away from a deal that wouldn't even have guaranteed making him any money, narrative pretty daft.

If you want to see his "moral compass" at work, try raising some money on Kickstarter to make a Minecraft Movie. He won't even sue you. He just calls some Silicon Valley buddies, and you just disappear from the Internet.

1. Ian Yates

"If you want to see his "moral compass" at work, try raising some money on Kickstarter to make a Minecraft Movie. He won't even sue you. He just calls some Silicon Valley buddies, and you just disappear from the Internet."

Maybe not an unbiased report, but Notch's explanation is that his lawyers (interestingly, without his input, apparently) said they could carry on if they removed the word "Minecraft", but they voluntarily shut themselves down.

He seems a pretty genuine/open person, from the interactions I've seen.

2. Norman Hartnell
      Headmaster

"due to a conscious."

Due to a conscience, I hope.

3. 's water music

Greed is rampant in our society but it is nice to see an individual who would gladly walk away from it...due to a conscious.

...uncoupling?

:-)

4. Tom 11
      Headmaster

A conscious what? You can't leave us hanging like this!

1. MrT

He also left...

...King.com - the compass is working fine ;-)

3. jake Silver badge

There is nothing "social" ...

... about VR or so-called "social" networking.

No real-life human contact? It's not social.

EOF

1. Ralph B

Re: There is nothing "social" ...

> There is nothing "social" about VR or so-called "social" networking.

You're looking at it wrong. Imagine the whole right side of your vision filled with moving 3D adverts continuously moving around and towards you. Now you have Zuckerberg's vision for VR.

1. dan1980

Talk to someone in a remote location over the phone line = social.

Talk to someone in a remote location over the phone line while also being able to see a graphical representation of them = "not social".

Apparently.

Unless phone calls are not social either. Maybe for Jake they aren't, but mine are quite convivial, at least when I am on the phone by choice.

The important part is interaction and there's no rule to say that you can't have meaningful, fulfilling, social interactions without being physically in the same room. I'll agree that doing so adds an element to the interaction but who's to say that that element is necessary or even beneficial in all instances?

I hate the idea that a tool designed for gaming has now been bought by a company that earns its money from showing people ads but, as always, it doesn't really impact me that much because I neither use Facebook nor was I looking forward to the Rift device.

2. Robert Grant

And buying is now opt-out: you have to blink to not buy what's on each ad.

3. Captain DaFt

Remember that episode of Futurama where they used VR to log into the Internet and Frye was nearly abducted by pop-up ads? THAT's Zuckerberg's vision of the future.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: EOF

Your definition of "social" is out of date. Kind of like arguing that phone conversations aren't real conversations, or that when I skyped my son last night there was no communication. Physical proximity does not dictate whether something is social or not.

And as for "EOF", just as irritating as "End of", but with an extra helping of "Aren't I techy!". It doesn't signify the end of debate, just that you're not prepred to engage with anyone else's opinion.

1. P. Lee

I humbly propose anti-social, with "anti" in the earlier Greek meaning: in front of, in the place of, in opposition to, real-life social activity.

So if you use skype to reach those on the other side of the world, that's social. If you use skype to IM your spouse in the next room because you're too lazy to go and see them, that's anti-social.

I may have the wrong meaning there, but this is the internet - someone will correct me.

1. dogged

> I humbly propose anti-social, with "anti" in the earlier Greek meaning: in front of, in the place of, in opposition to, real-life social activity.

"In front of" would be "ante" rather than "anti".

2. Thecowking

As you wish.

You're thinking of the Latin "ante" as in antechamber, the a in am and "upping the ante".

Anti means opposed to, which is Greek.

Edit: gah too slow

2. Paul Westerman
        Thumb Up

END OF LINE

Better still

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge

EOF = end of fail? ;-)

Seriously, jake, I understand your resentment towards virtual contacts as I much prefer contact in real-life. But even El Reg's commentards' section is in a way social: we are interacting with each other. I don't think we need a new definition of social.

4. sisk

Mainstream sociologists today disagree with you Jake. Some people get the majority of their social contact online. My wife is a good example. She's epileptic, so she can't drive. She's a stay at home mom because with the current competitive job market no one wants to hire someone who might have a seizure while at work. She has nothing in common with anyone who lives within walking distance of us, and, to be blunt, go near most of them with our children anyway.* All that adds up to her not getting out of the house very often.

*We're a single income family and I work for a school district in a state controlled by the TEA party. Guess what kind of neighbors we have.

1. Javapapa

I'm guessing conservative neighbors. Welcome to Texas. Drop on over, let's have BBQ.

4. ADJB

Interesting way to boost your business.

Buy an exciting new* technology that a lot of gamers and gaming companies are really interested in.

Because of who you are alienate the whole of the same gamer client base.

Because of how you do business alienate all the gaming studios.

Build a new client base from people who don't even know what the product is or what it does.

Result - VR Candy Crush

*I know it's not at all new or original but you know what I mean

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Integrity

Notch has it, and knows what it is.

Zuck doesn't have it, and couldn't understand it in a million years.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Integrity

I beg to differ. Integrity as being consistency of action etc, Zuck does have it as well. Still, I think, it all boils down to how can he get the gals laid.

TU nevertheless.

6. groovyf

I'm wondering if there's anyone with anything positive to say about this acquisition?

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/

1. ThomH

It caused Facebook shares to drop by more than 6%. Is that a positive thing? I guess it depends on how vindictive you're feeling.

7. wowfood

So

What are the alternatives to the oculus? I know Steam and Sony are both working on VR solutions, any others on the horizon?

1. Slacker@work

Re: So

Wasn't aware that Steam were looking into this (no pun intended), so guess it is for the Steam Box - can't be arsed with yet another console under the TV so will stick to the brand I game with, Sony!

2. Oninoshiko

Re: So

Is Valve (Steam) still working on something? I thought they fired that whole department (that's where the Jerri Ellisworth and Rick Johnson who started CastAR came from). CastAR does have a VR option, but I'm not sure how it's going to compare to a dedicated device.

Frankly, I'm kinda in shock still about this. I can kinda see it from the Occulus perspective, and it alleves my fears they will never produce a consumer product a little, but I can not see it at all from the Facebook perspective. I don't think full VR really works for Facebook, AR maybe, but not really VR.

8. janimal
    Pint

Thanks Notch

I would have loved minecraft for the rift, but not at the expense of having to join the facebook hegemony.

Games are one of those tech enabling areas (like porn) where the participants are prepared to pay for new technology. Gamers will spend money on one, my missus won't just to play candy crush or farmville 3d.

I've been watching the VR revolution that never occurred from the '80s onwards. I remember playing this VR tank battle game on a VR stand at the Trocadero in Leicester square. You needed the neck muscles of David Coulthard to wear the headset which contained a pair of exceedingly low res screens seemingly driven by valves and internal combustion engines.

I can wait a bit longer for one that doesn't require me to sell my soul to facefeck.

oh also, where's my flying car? :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks Notch

You'll be wanting to look at Sony's offering then

2. Robert Grant

Troc had a VR boxing game in the earlies Noughties with accelerometers for controllers, to detect when you punched etc. Good times.

3. Lamont Cranston

I remember playing some VR game at the Trocadero, towards the end of the 90's. Looked like crap and gave me a headache, much like 3D gaming did when I tried it out on an Xbox360.

Bah, and indeed, humbug.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Facebook's attitude towards games falls somewhere between indulgent neglect and hostility"

Wow. Its nice to see these bastards get called out for once! ..........."People have made games for Facebook....stuck in a very unfortunate position when Facebook eventually changed the platform to better fit the social experience they were trying to build"---- You nailed it!!!

10. DrXym

Now I'm looking forward to VR even more

Now I can sit on the porch of a virtual farm waiting for my crop of strawberries to be ready to harvest.

1. frank ly

Re: Now I'm looking forward to VR even more

Don't forget to buy some virtual slug pellets to deal with the razor-toothed slugs or a virtual shotgun for the flocks of pesky birds, or a virtual assault rifle to take care of the ravaging zombie hordes that will stumble towards you muttering, "Straaaaawberries".

11. Piro Silver badge

Good on Notch

He could no doubt still have made a bundle of cash shipping Minecraft for Facebook® VR™, but he cares more about sticking to reasonable principles other than just making some more money, especially if it means more money for Facebook.

I was, like everyone else, looking at Oculus Rift, but now, of course, like many others, I won't be. John Carmack, I hear there's a good job for you over at Valve developing their VR.

I guess it all goes back to that meme: in Gabe Newell we trust.

I think it's time for celebration over at Valve - there were a lot of developers expressing their disdain for the Facebook deal, and would no longer develop for Oculus Rift, and Valve is the clear alternative. To Valve: get a dev kit out soon!

12. Nya

Oculus have proved to be a bunch of sell outs. Sad, I almost bought one of the dev kits, glad I didn't now. Good on Notch for leaving.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they give their users the opportunity to sit in a virtual pub, with their hundreds of virtual buddies ("friends" pfff), using augmented reality? No thanks.

While I see plenty of use cases in simulation environments, I just can't see any social aspect to VR - quite the opposite actually, because the moment you have that thing on your head, you are unavailable for any other interaction with anyone around you until you take it off again.

Anyway, with Facebook buying Oculus, VR has made a step backwards. Competitors unite!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Mark Zuckerberg's acquisition of Oculus VR"

There goes the neighbourhood. :(

There was a LOT of potential for that tech. Now, how likely is it a FB account is required, and oh, are those 3d adds pasted all over your uploaded content that automatically "selfies" you... Gah.

1. Boothy

Re: "Mark Zuckerberg's acquisition of Oculus VR"

The guys from Oculus have already stated there will be no requirement for an FB account to be able to use the headsets, and no adds provided via the Rift software itself. Although they also stated they have no control over what the apps that use the Rift will do, so they could still do ads, jusrt like some games do now.

But who's to say what things will be like in a years time!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "The guys from Oculus"

The guys from Foculous have no more credibility than a banker now, although they are considerably richer than before.

The Kickstarter community that backed them must be positively incensed. I know I would be if had given money to help bring a promising product to the world (and promising it was with Carmack on board) only to have it Zuckified before it became anything.

If I were one of the Kickstarters I would be seriously thinking of suing right now.

1. Levente Szileszky

Re: "The guys from Oculus"

"If I were one of the Kickstarters I would be seriously thinking of suing right now."

I'm with you on this - I actually really hope they will sue this bunch of scumbags including Sugarhill himself.

15. Eradicate all BB entrants

If they are wearing VR goggles ....

..... how will they be able to see their bank card to buy more candy coins or whatever the micro currency through?

Card swipe on the top of the goggles?

Seriously though, yet another person who was waiting for retail day who has now walked away.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was thinking about buying an Oculus Rift

Never could afford the 3D-VR glasses in the 90s.

But now? I will wait and see what Sony will come up with. I will definetly not buy Oculus Rift-gear if I need a Facebook account to use it.

17. Paul Bullough

Creeps

I don't want to hear a hiss, turn around and see a creeper behind me in VR anyway.

They make me poop my pants enough as it is.

18. Mungo

Ready Player One!

Zuckerberg picking up the Occulus is like a creepy sequel.

The Sixers have discovered time travel and Sorrento (Zuckerberg) has come back to control the Oasis from the get go and forever change its destiny.

I feel sick.

1. ToggleMaudlin

Re: Ready Player One!

I am so, so glad I'm not the only one that thought exactly this when the news broke. Thank you!

19. phil dude
    Unhappy

open platform...

I think for some of us , the prospect that it will cease to be an open platform is extremely disappointing.

If their PR folks could address this, perhaps there would be less bile....?

The trajectory for gaming that OR was developing had all the tools to help in other research areas, such as for low vision patrons. There are a great many people in this world who have disabilities that could be helped by dual use tech such aas this, but corporations do not typically see this as a "core value".

I'm willing to see how it evolves before passing judgment, but as someone mentioned before "hairs at the back of my neck...."

P.

20. Clive Galway

Good.

Maybe this will cause people to STFU about OR for a bit.

I fail to see what new IP they are bringing to the table, and they are taking away spotlight from already available solutions that IMHO fill the gap better (ie Head tracking).

Too many games promised support for TIR5 / Freetrack, then as soon as OR comes along they forget all about it - totally missing the point that existing head trackers provide superior motion tracking (OR is accelerometer based tracking - ie relative, not absolute) for a fraction of the cost, and still work with your big-screen TV, plus allow you to see the controls.

1. janimal

yes but head tracking doesn't give you a stereoscopic view to go with it.

1. Clive Galway

If the display is 3D, then it does. In fact, that is the whole point - What happens to your OR when you get a brand new mega-sized TV with 3D, a curved screen, 4K resolution and all the latest bells and whistles?

If you have a head tracker, it will enhance your experience.

If you have an OR, it will mean nothing but sitting in front of your new monster TV (which you cannot see), trying in vain to find the bowl of peanuts on the coffee table whilst all your mates laugh at the idiot with the headgear on.

2. kphair

Unless it's CastAR.

And I trust Jeri's judgement a hell of a lot more.

21. Michael Habel

Why all the hate? I'm not gonna jump to Zucks defense here but, unlike you (or your "ideas" of who could do VR one better.), Zuckerberg bought it for 2bn US Dollars and you didn't. The question is what does he plan on doing with it? I'm not a stakeholder in Facebook, but if I were THIS would be the Question of the Day. Perhaps he see this as a side opportunity outside of Facebook. I get the feeling that if I were as talented, and as rich as 'ol Zuck. I'd probably tire of that One Trick Pony too...

So lets reserve our hate for now and see how this turns out first. If anything I see this as a good thing for the Oculus Rift. In as far as Zuckerberg has perhaps more motivation to get this junk out the Door ASAP....

Not the feeling I ever had with the People who were in charge of it before? I mean how long has the OR been in the pipeline for now?

1. Haku

Big corporation swallowing little corporation is usually done for the monetary value of IP, copyrights and trademarks.

Farcebook will probably try and use their muscle to stamp out potential competition through use of an army of lawyers.

2. NomNomNom

"Zuckerberg bought it for 2bn US Dollars and you didn't. The question is what does he plan on doing with it?"

On the odds alone the kind of person who would buy it for 2bn is not going to be the kind of person who is going to be good at directing it. Then there's...WTF does Zuckerberg know about VR?

The kind of people who *would* be good running it were precisely the kind of people who owned it before, you know the ones who made VR their living and understood it inside out. Rather than someone who has none of that but has a special interest in an unrelated area (facebook).

"I get the feeling that if I were as talented, and as rich as 'ol Zuck. I'd probably tire of that One Trick Pony too..."

Sure but the immaturity of buying Oculus for $2bn...For $2bn he could have developed his own VR product more closely aligned to Facebook.

"So lets reserve our hate for now and see how this turns out first. If anything I see this as a good thing for the Oculus Rift."

I disagree, there are so many bad potentials that come of this that weren't open before. The chance of this being a good thing for OR is low. Chances are OR is about to veer in a direction that is nothing like where it was heading before.

Look at Notch fleeing Oculus as the tip of a very big iceberg being pushed out the way.

"In as far as Zuckerberg has perhaps more motivation to get this junk out the Door ASAP....

Not the feeling I ever had with the People who were in charge of it before? I mean how long has the OR been in the pipeline for now?"

I don't see why there would be motivation to get it out the door. If anything the huge $2 billion tag attached implies there's even more time=money so no rush to get it out. Also there's all that facebook integration to do...

3. Levente Szileszky

"Why all the hate? I'm not gonna jump to Zucks defense here but, unlike you (or your "ideas" of who could do VR one better.), Zuckerberg bought it for 2bn US Dollars and you didn't. "

Of course - except WE (=not me but all the people who did chip in) financed the takeoff for this supposedly "independent" company. Sugarhill came in with his cigar in his mouth, pulled out his checkbook, wrote a check and told all of us "thank you for making it happen - now get the fuck out of here."

22. Haku
    Unhappy

BOLLOCKS!

I was looking forward to getting a Rift when it matured into a commercial product with notable games having support for it.

Now I think I'll wait for an alternative.

23. NomNomNom

I was going to get a development headset and get into it, but not now. I am not even going to buy it retail to play games now.

God I can't think of a better way to completely sink OR than have Facebook buy it. I bet many PC gamers hate facebook even more than me.

zuckerberg seems to be just buying up toys childishly. drones? vr headsets? wtf does any of it have to do with facebooks business model? it's an attempt to emulate google IMO, and a bid to make facebook more interesting than the boring account/messaging site that it is.

I want to get into "drones" and "virtual reality" and ....$2 billion is money down the pan. Facebook will never make that back from this investment. Where the F are they getting this money? when is this bubble going to finally burst.

24. Tom 35

Glad I didn't put anything into kickstarter

Who would want 3D photos of peoples food, cat videos, and survey scams.

25. Kunari

Could be worse... could have been Microsoft, or Apple, or..

26. Mark 85

Zuck = Buzzwords

I've re-read several times what people have quoted and what he's said. It's all warm, squishy, give-me-hug-give-you-a-hug buzzwords. If he offers to buy a company, it's sold to him not for expertise nor for giving the company a future. It's sold for the large dollars he's offered.

Just go back and re-read the Zuckisms in this article and then ask yourself: "If I owned a company that produced a product I really really cared about, would I sell it to him?". If your motive is take the money and watch things go to hell from a safe distance, you'd take the deal. I find Zuck even scarier than Google or the NSA at this point.

27. Levente Szileszky

You're missing the most disgusting part of this scumbag sale...

...which Notch put the following way:

"And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

EXACTLY - what a disgusting, cynical scumbags make up Oculus (+Sugarhill himself, of course)!

They ran a Kickstarter campaign, only to FOUND AN OPERATION THEY IN TURN SELL FOR $2B and they are thank you for your support?

Disgusting scumbags.

1. rm -rf *.*
      Angel

Re: You're missing the most disgusting part of this scumbag sale...

"They ran a Kickstarter campaign, only to FOUND AN OPERATION THEY IN TURN SELL FOR $2B and they are thank you for your support?

Disgusting scumbags."

Let's hope someone has the heart/conscience/common decency/common sense to refund the people's $.

Would be a nice gesture and all.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How soon will Zuck want ....

...to add cameras to the Oculus and send spy data back into FB HQ...(ala FB's Google Glass)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like