back to article Microsoft Australia slashes price of Surface Pro 128GB by $AUD400

Walk into JB HiFi, Australia's most prominent purveyor of consumer electronics, and slap down $AUD597. You'll walk out with this HP 15-d004au and its 15.6-in screen, quad-core AMD A6-5200 running at 2 GHz and packing a Radeon HD 8400 graphics card, 2GB of RAM and a 500GB disk. Take just two dollars more to Microsoft Australia' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox

Neither.

I spent less on an Acer Aspire v5-171 last year.

Better i5 (3337U) than the Surface Pro, 6GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive, all in a light and compact 11" form factor. (Oh, and FYI, the Radeon HD 8400 graphics are decidedly low-end; the Intel HD 4000 in the Aspire performs better.)

None of these three devices is a performance device, which is why I might buy a new machine this year -- but it'll have to be better than the Surface Pro 2 at a lower price. Fortunately, that too is not too hard to find.

2. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Pint

"Where would you put your money?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

3. leeCh

I'd put my money on a Toshiba Encore

I bought one at the end of last year (boxing day sales naturally). Fantastic little unit that runs full Win8.1 for around $300 + another $80 for an extra 32Gb SD Card. $120 cheaper than either of your options. It's my preferred portable option now.

My 17" laptop (also new - thanks JB HiFi for screwing up your pricing so spectacularly well, I REALLY appreciated that) is also portable, but at just under 3kg it normally lives on my desk.

4. Alan Edwards

Where would you put your money?

> Where would you put your money?

Not something with an A6 and a low-res 15-inch panel. It's only got a 4-cell battery too, my T410 kills a 6-cell in 2 hours.

What's your main usage going to be, do you need a touch-screen? Does it need to live forever, or get replaced 1-2 years down the line?

If tablet use is going to be the main usage, I'd look at a Lenovo Miix 2 10, or a Nokia 2520 if RT will get the job done, or the Surface Pro mentioned (it'll be heavier than the rest though). Anything bigger than 10-inch is going to be tricky to hold as a tablet.

If it's going to spend most of it's life hooked up to a monitor churning spreadsheets, go for a proper laptop. At least an i5, but not a cheap-as-possible entry-level job. A nearly-new T520/T540 will be much better built and last longer, or maybe a Dell XPS, Inspiron or Latitude?

5. Jim84

The Surface 2 is still a stupid compromise

The Surface 2 has horrible thick edges, so that the keyboard cover can be attached to turn it into a laptop.

The surface should have been designed as a tablet first, with thin edges like the iPad and google/Samsung Nexus 10, instead we have something blocky and ugly. Microsoft should have done what google did and cloned the shape of the iPad (as much as their lawyers thought they could get away with) then tried to add extra features to win users away from Apple's camp. For google the value add was a 300 pixel per inch screen beating that on the iPad 4 and iPad mini.

Having a keyboard is a value add for the customer. But the extra thick square edges and weight more than detract for it.

1. Chris Reynolds

Re: The Surface 2 is still a stupid compromise

Try living with one. It's killed the use-case for a dedicated tablet for me. Smartphone, Surface and workstation give me every combination I need.

I still recommend iPads to non-IT people because of the apps and accessories mind.

6. eszklar

I'd buy the Surface Pro....and immediately put Linux on it after getting a Type Cover 2 for said unit.

But that's me.

7. hungee

bigger screen size and hdd space? wtf?

Seriously?

Yes the screen size is bigger. It is also worse. tft 1366X768 VS 1080P IPS IIRC. hmm... grainy and crap or clear and detailed. Bigger is not always better. GOH!

And yes. a 500gb hdd can have all the random sh!% on it you want. With ridiculously slow latency and horrible read speeds of a 5400rpm throw away hdd.

OR.... OR!!!!!

You could have 128GB of 10x faster SSD that will boot in 10 secs not 30 and a USB port to plug in an external hdd if you wanna be lame.

seriously.. speed == better than space on a lappy, I have replaced the hdd with ssd in my house for both my girlfriend and myself and the random swearing has decreased immensely.

also btw. the equivalency to an iPAD is plain wrong. This an ultrabook with tablet features. more of a Macbook Air competitor than anything else.

I don't have one.. but seriously... seriously you guys.

8. Gartal

Right now a new set of false teeth, some to the tax department, some off the credit cards, some to the two insurance companies I owe money to for a prang last year, a little to the bank for the mortgage, a tad into a savings account and if there is any left over, food for the kids.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Where would you put your money?

I think I'd be putting as much as possible on the credit cards and the mortgage, in that order, before putting anything into a savings account...

Oh yeah, the Surface Pro. Stacked up against other $600 tablets, it's a pretty tempting proposition.

9. Yeti
    Trollface

Apart from Mitoo Bobsworth's option, what about ~10 Android tablets?

10. Big-nosed Pengie
    Linux

Will it run Linux?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like