back to article Office of Fair Trading: UK.gov IT deals lack effective competition

No 10 Downing Street’s G-Cloud strategy has been dinged by Britain’s competition regulator, the Office of Fair Trading, for lacking effective competitive on public-sector IT deals. An OFT report published on Tuesday identified what it called “key barriers” still standing in the way of new entrants challenging the big boys for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. All names Taken
    Pint

One of issues seems to be that guvmint bids and contracts are composed with guvmint mindsets and sort of assume everyone reading the bid will be educated to PhD level.

Were the bids writ with SME mindset then easy-peasy support could be extended to SMEs in drafting a contract?

1. Bluenose

No contract drafting required

On G-Cloud there is no need for the supplier to draft a contract that already exists in terms of the Call Off agreement. The suppliers only need to add specific terms and conditions for their offering as well as a service description and day rates (if required).

Most small suppliers are not in a position to negotiate changes to Govt contracts and to be honest most of the so called oligopoly are unable to get any material changes to the terms of such contracts. So everyone is shafted by the onerous terms and the need for everyone to be SC cleared even when cleaning windows from the outside.

2. Don Jefe

That's interesting. Here in the US, PhD means a doctorate of philosophy. I'm always amazed by how closely US English and English English are to each other for most things, but when the differences occur they are HUGE.

Pissed means I'm angry, but to you it means drunk (what do you guys call an angry drunk?). Fries are fried potatoes to me, but chips to you. Fanny to me is someone's ass, but to you it's... not that, we'll just leave that there, since it's hump day. And today I learn that PhD for you guys is either an incorrect number of chromosomes or some other sort of developmental problem.

I have deduced your meaning of the term based on my own experience with contracts from your government. We do a few jobs for you guys every year and I've never received such convoluted contracts from any other government. I accept that plenty of words have multiple meanings, but I've always found it best to use the same definition for a word throughout a given document. It's also customary for us that combined sums and their various components are equal.

But hey, it's cool. None of the PhD's here will touch one of your contracts, they say it's illegal for me to intentionally harm my staff. The past 25-30 contracts I've received from you guys I've just paid 'Bong-Hit Billy' an extra $200, cash, to deal with them. Normally he's the guy that crawls into our big machines to remove broken parts or people that had loved ones pay their ransom. He seems to really enjoy the contract work though. He's always laughing, but he's got a special 'happy' laugh when he's pleased. They won't let him out of Heathrow anymore, they just send him back. I keep hoping somebody from your government will come meet him in person. He always asks, but no luck yet. He wears restraints and he's tied to the gantry crane with cabling we made ourselves, tough stuff it is for sure, so it's safe to feed him as long as you're not menstruating . But contracts from your government require a special type of person to decipher. Kind of the opposite of a PhD really.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Here in the US, PhD means a doctorate of philosophy."

Same here. Why, what do you think it means in the UK with regards chromosones?

"pissed" can mean drunk or angry depending on context.

"French Fries" are not the same as proper chips, and should *NEVER* be confused. The former are thin, greasy and made from reformed potatoes with goodness knows what in them. The latter are made from a potato.

2. Vic

> what do you guys call an angry drunk?

"Twat", usually...

Vic.

1. BearishTendencies

I've never called an angry drunk Vic

Unless their name was Vic

2. TheVoiceofReason

What do you guys call an angry drunk

Nigel Farage

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"unnamed, existing government contracts are coming up for renewal during the next 18 months and that departments would be moved off of “locked-in, high-cost” deals for a “more rational” system with the help of No 10."

I've seen one of these from close up. What was one, easily managed, contract with a large SI is now 12 (and rising) contracts with firms including 2 multi-national arms companies, 4 large SIs, a mediium sized SI and a couple of genuine SMEs. Not sure which definition of 'rational' this complies with, and it's far from certain that the client will survive the experience.

1. BearishTendencies

What I want to see is the evidence behind this policy

Could someone explain why it's going to be cheaper and better done this way? It looks a mess that the clients have no way to sensibly manage.

Oh, and I would just love to see how many Restricted and higher marked document have ended up on GDS's Google Apps instance. Given they run the ICT spend controls processes, they must get sent quite a few protective marked documents.

And as for 'I want to take advantage of price reductions now', why not just implement (and actually use) a simple benchmarking clause. Job done, simply and effective.

3. The BigYin

Only one main requirement

"All code must be AGPL"

As a sub requirement the configuration settings can be broken out into "Things that can be AGPL" and "Things that can't me made AGPL, but to which gov.uk and an irrevocable license to use in perpetuity".

Data is another matter.

4. All names Taken
    Joke

See, the thing is (stop me if you have heard this before) if Guvmint thinks of it and Whitehall agrees it can go ahead with usually unpredictable outcomes.

On the other hand if Guvmint thinks of it and Whitehall disagrees (especially the Treasury bit) it can go ahead with it if it likes with Whitehall (and especially the Treasury bit) making sure it fails the most horrible fail threatening politico egos almost to the point of pain?

Hmm, hmm, hmm?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

0.5% of UK Govt IT spending.

Yeah, that sounds like an oligopoly to me.

And it's still in full effect.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like