back to article Nvidia unveils Pascal, its next-gen GPU with hella-fast interconnects and 3D packaging

Nvidia has announced its next-generation GPU, and with it a new interconnect it dubs NVLink that it says will increase the bandwidth among GPUs – and also CPUs, should a processor designer implement it – over that of PCIe by five to twelve times. Nvidia NVLink block diagram String a bunch of GPUs together with NVLink, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jock in a Frock
    Joke

But...

... will it run Crysis?

2. Richard 12 Silver badge
    Joke

Can I write in Pascal for Pascal?

Or would that cause an infinite loop of headdesk?

1. Oninoshiko
      Joke

Re: Can I write in Pascal for Pascal?

No, but you can write fortran in any language.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Heat?

Don't graphics cards already have enough of a problem with heat? So won't stacking chips just make waste heat harder as there's less surface area? Or are they going to implement some kind of inter-layer heat extraction?

4. gizmo23

TSV

Didn't nVidia have a bit of a problem with through-vias a while ago? Presumably they've got past those issues now. My memories of the bump thing's a bit hazy, anyone else remember details?

1. Roo

Re: TSV

Got to wonder what the yields & MTBF (at package level) are going to be like with zillions of TSVs hooking up a bunch of hot dies.

Best of luck to them. :)

5. GL1zdA

Volta

Wasn't the codename Volta the last time they were talking about it?

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Interesting news

Memory bandwidth (also between CPU and GPU) is a major bottleneck, and designing algorithms to minimize data traffic over these buses is sometimes very difficult. Higher bandwidth should make designing algorithms for these machines less of a hassle.

7. phil dude
    Boffin

randomly connected...

I did a presentation a few years back on the "commodity version of Anton" (Anton is MD pecial purpose hardware.

I have a slide which compares the PCIx vs Hypertransport characterisics, and why D.E.Shaw built their own.

This would seem to be a natural evolution and the reinvention of the Video bus...

P.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

5 to 12x the PCIe bandwidth

Humongous strides are still being made in the computing space. This is another stepping stone towards more and more computing power available to individual users. I can hardly wait to see this become a reality.

I wonder what kind of eye-candy future game developers will throw in to make their plotless games look even better. Maybe some kind of mix between Battlefield 6 and Minecraft ? Truly deformable terrain and structures without any scripting ? Bodies and rubble that stay for the duration of the round ? Blood spurting out of severed arteries ?

Who knows, we might even get a game with an actual plot ?

9. Paul J Turner

As IBM predicted long ago...

3D packaging, LOTS of interconnects, then a lot of heat to dissipate.

Here we are finally at the 'Hairy, smoking Golf-ball'.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like